1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Grand Prix thread Not606 2018 Brazilian GP Chat and Predictions

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by EternalMSC, Nov 4, 2018.

?

Who Will Steal Victory In Brazil

Poll closed Nov 10, 2018.
  1. Lewis Hamilton

25.0%
  2. Sebastian Vettel

16.7%
  3. Kimi Raikkonen

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Valtteri Bottas

33.3%
  5. Max Verstappen

16.7%
  6. Daniel Ricciardo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Nico Hulkenberg

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Sergio Perez

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Other: Please State

8.3%
  1. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

He’s a thug .

Look at his picture at the bottom of the bbc thing ( can’t post it as on my phone ) with the boxers wrappings on his hands .

dhel likes this.
  2. paultheplug

paultheplug Well-Known Member

The commentators now are so bland and supportive of whoever are the media darlings of the day. James Hunt would have ripped Mad Max to shreds

3. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

I bet Irvine is now happy he just blocked Senna at Suzuka all those years ago and only got chinned for it!

What would Senna have given him if he had taken him out!!?

4. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

From Reddit - I think this is really interesting.

If this was a normal overtaking manoeuvre, I think you'd put the blame squarely on Max. In every shot Ocon has his front wheels ahead of Max's rears, which (in a normal situation) indicates he should be left room. The line Ocon takes isn't unreasonable, and he's nearly fully on the kerb when contact is made. I think regardless of whether he should have been trying to overtake Max or not, by the entry to T2 he had a reasonable expectation to be left a cars width.

5. dhel

dhel Well-Known Member

Thats the point i was making..he was no where near Max and he was also at the edge of the track, so why did Max chop him off like that? Max is the one who should have been penalised or no one should have been. The get some sh... penalty for abusing Ocon. I wonder if he knows Ocon could have brought assault charged against him? This guy will do this same crap on the road and he will either get charged or someone will deck him.

6. paultheplug

paultheplug Well-Known Member

Any normal person seeing this would blame Max. How the stewards handed out any penalty to Ocon beggars belief, let alone one as severe as they did. One of many things wrong with F1 at th moment

dhel likes this.
  7. St. Slicks of Stoneham

St. Slicks of Stoneham Active Member

If Max had been racing back then he'd probably either have killed himself or more likely someone else. He seems oblivious to everything and everyone around him.

8. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

If it was for position, yes, it's Max's fault, but it wasn't. Ocon had just been lapped and was trying to unlap himself because he had a Mercedes engine, slipstream and DRS giving him huge overspeed over Verstappen, it wasn't like Lewis on Vettel (Germany '10?), yes you are allowed to unlap yourself, but he'd failed and should've bailed, not hit the leader.
    That said it was a racing incident for me, I'd save my 10sec stop/gos for when someone swerves across the track and purposefully hits an opponent to stop them overtaking, rather than the 5 seconds Max usually gets when he does it.
    Max's driving reminds me of this

easynic150 and dhel like this.
  9. cosicave

cosicave Well-Known Member

re: Ocon v Verstappen
    Valid points have already been made.

• At the time of the incident, Ocon clearly had the quicker car. He, his race engineer, and Verstappen and his, all knew it.
    • He also had every right to unlap himself if he chooses – as all drivers and teams also KNOW.

– But my point is that it was reasonable for Ocon to expect to be able to pass without Verstappen attempting to defend, since it is reasonable to believe all parties involved know it is not in VER's interest to defend against him at all!

Bearing this in mind, it actually adds weight to Ocon's original decision to overtake: not only was it legal and justified, it was also unlikely to be contested – because no reasonable driver, leading a race but in a slower car than another which he is not racing – should be daft enough to pick a fight! (The situation was essentially equivalent to say, a Le Mans race in which different classes do not fight others). Verstappen was going to be the outright winner of the race, regardless. What he did was hot-headed and, well yes; stupid.

Furthermore, I do not agree with the penalty handed to Ocon. Had it been a genuine fight for position, I am certain no penalty would have been given; but when viewed in respect of points above, it was even less worthy of punishment!

In conclusion, u
    nfortunately, I have to say the stewards decision has essentially defended Verstappen's stupidity.

10. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

I think it's fair to say that anyone overtaking Crashappen for any reason has a very good chance of being hit for it, the stop/go made me laugh considering what Max has gotten away with this season, it was definitely no where near as bad as his swipe on Bottas in Monza or him aiming at Kimi in Suzuka. I personally thought it was a racing incident caused by 2 acts of stupidity.

dhel likes this.

11. cosicave

Yes. You make a fair point. Verstappen appears to ignore standard racing protocols and yes, everyone involved know this too.

From a pure racing perspective though – as I'm sure you'll agree – Verstappen was stupid not to recognise the bigger picture when it stared him in the face.

There was a moment earlier in the season where I praised MV for doing just that in not defending even though on that occasion, it was for position. (It was against Vettel and I think it was Baku). One might have hoped – as I mentioned here in this forum – that it was a sign of growing maturity. Unfortunately, I have to conclude I was wrong – especially in lieu of his disgraceful actions at the weigh-in which, in my view, warranted severe punishment.

As it is, he has been supported in his on-track actions by stewards who penalised his non-opponent, and then been given a wrap on the knuckles for an incident which does nothing to help the image of F1 or the way young viewers may be led astray by his 'example': that of being disrespectful to common decency AND ignoring authority.

12. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

I think the incident just show how stupid Max is. As Lewis pointed out to him, Occon had nothing to lose, Max lost the win for no reason!! Max doesn't have the ability to view the bigger picture. We have seen him time and time again making stupid dangerous moves and every time he says he doesn't care what other people think, he was right.
    Sorry to say but I think, while he has talent, he doesn't have the brain. I hope he matures but if his Dad is anything to go by he won't learn.
    I do think his punishment for his post trace assault on Occon deserved an actual punishment. Maybe even a race ban, that might teach him but I doubt it. That said, what happened when Vettel deliberately drove into the side of Hamilton, naff all. FIA need to crack down on violence it is bringing the sport into disrepute.

Did anyone see the C4 bit at the end? It showed a back marker trying to pass Montoya, who was leading the race, driving straight into the back of him taking them both out of the race. Anyone guess who the backmarker was? It was Max's Dad, Joss!!!!!
    I did think it was funny. No idea if Joss lost his brakes or what but Karma for Max.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
    easynic150, dhel and cosicave like this.
  13. Justjazz

Justjazz Well-Known Member

This goes alongside the earlier debate about Vettel's bahaviour around the scales. The FIA do not understand the reaction of the fans. This forum has mostly been united and seen contributions from infrequent visitors on MV.s behaviour. Maybe I am wrong but wasn't that behaviour close to common assault. Maybe not in Brazil. MV is likely to go too far one day and I would like to see the police be brought in if he does, perhaps that will wake up the FIA. Love to see Horner defend that.

I would have watched Channel 4 but it was too late, i watched Sky instead and was sickened by the Sky coverage who were even smirking and in my opinion had their facts wrong. I was incensed yesterday and feel no different today.

14. dhel

dhel Well-Known Member

Thats exactly what I was saying, and you are totally correct!!! People are saying Max wouldn't have expected Ocon to try and overtake, well, Ocon wouldn't have expected Max to try to defend...they were not in the same battle. And if Max doesnt catch on fast enough he will lose a lot more races. Pick your battles carefully, the race had a lot of laps to go. Then the stupid fight afterwards...they baby Max up too much and he keeps throwing his toys out the pram, now he is assaulting other drivers, getting support from his team boss for such actions and getting a slap on the wrist from officials...what will he do next, and what will it take for them to really discipline the brat?

ched999uk, cosicave and Justjazz like this.
  15. cosicave

No idea what you're referring to with regard to Sky, specifically.

However, the idiot lead commentator, Crofter, treats his privileged position as if it's some kind of cheap game and that the public actually respect his banality. (How wrong can one be?!).
    He is terrible. Not anywhere close to being funny. And his ego obscures the possibility of him ever recognising it. Quite unlikeable. Absolutely insufferable. The only thing I'll say in his defence – and unfortunately, he knows this – is that he cannot possibly be worse than the disconnected alien previously known as Legard. But that is no defence. Crofter and those who play up to him as instructed absolutely ruin Sky's coverage.

dhel likes this.
  16. dhel

dhel Well-Known Member

Yup!!

17. cosicave

Oops. Somehow lost the quote I intended to include. My previous is directed at JustJazz.

18. Justjazz

Justjazz Well-Known Member

I was watching Sky at my daughters and preparing to leave at the time but saw Simon Lazenby smirking (personal opinion) just after the Horner defense of VM off track scuffle. Brundle then immediately defended VM laying all the blame on Ocon for his 'lunge at turn 2', but I thought the lunge was at turn 1 and Ocon stayed there for turn 2 as any driver worth his salt would. I didn't like the commentary on the incident.

As for Crofty, I watched him the other week in a pre race show struggling to lean on the arms of his chair with animated inaccuracy. The whole sky coverage has gone downhill and is getting worse. Most people I know prefer Channel 4 other than it is sometimes at an inconvenient time.

ched999uk likes this.
  19. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

What about Marc Priestly taking over ?

20. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

They should go after Will Buxton. Miss having that guy on the coverage over here.