1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Not606 GPRO Team

Discussion in 'F1 Off Topic' started by El_Bando, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Masanari

Masanari Active Member

What are people doing for strategy for this race? Seems quite iffy with the rain.

Also how useful is it to join a team? Wondering whether to bother or not.

2. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I joined a team towards the end of the last season. It has some benefits, but not a massive amount.

For my £3million, I'm in a team with 1 pro, a few amateurs and a few rookies. We've got an off-site team forum, which is rarely used and doesn't have as much info as I'd like, and the team leader usually sends a message around before a race summarising how the rest of the team got on last time, gives a manager of the race award, and sometimes his thoughts on the next race. Unfortunately our team leader is only in rookie, and isn't massively successful, so his thoughts are usually only good for a starting point for setting the car up.

On the other hand, I made just over £1m in team earnings last season, so if you stay with a team long enough you'll make money out of it. The team leader has supporter status, so he's helpful with trying to find new managers, especially now database spiders are banned. (Incidentally, if anyone can work out how to use the files available to import the driver database into excel, let me know?) There's a couple of Russian guys in my team who managed to procure quite a lot of info from a dodgy Russian forum which got shut down, so they are quite knowledgeable. Overall I'd say it was worth it, but it wasn't as great as I was expecting. If this forum wasn't so visible to anyone searching for game data, it'd be nice if we could share more info between ourselves on here, what do you guys think about that?

It depends on the team though really! I'd at least expect a team to be able to offer you the wing split for each track (I'm working on getting that from mine!). Some teams I know have developed tools which can predict your perfect set-up from driver data, car parts and the track in question, so you only have to do a single practice lap to check it (saving £350,000 a race), and I've heard about very advanced race strategy engines which skirt around the edges of what real racing teams will do (game theory,etc). However, teams with those sort of tools are unlikely to be recruiting, and if they are, competition will be fierce.

As for the race, from the fuel data I've got, I'm in a bit of a sweet spot in that the fuel needed for the full life of the wet tyres and soft tyres is very similar. I've set the fuel for that, so I'll always be able to get the maximum laps out of a set of tyres. My driver is pretty handy in the wet it seems, and the pit time is short, so I'm planning on pitting for every weather change. If it's wet early on and then dries up, I should only need to pit once more for tyres. For the car set-up I've compromised my dry set-up about 20% towards wet.

Sorry thats a bit long!

3. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

Just worked out how to get the driver database into excel, I didn't realise it was compressed. I can give more detail on how to import it if people need it.

4. Masanari

Masanari Active Member

Thanks for that. <ok> Might look into joining a team then.

5. happyal

happyal Active Member

I'd say the team you joined aren't the best. I joined a team a few seasons ago and they have been much better than you describe. When you are looking for a team you are interviewing them just as much as they are interviewing you, make sure you ask enoght questions to make sure you know what you are getting into. Also ask one of the top teams, they might not accept you as a member but they might give you some advice.

6. Masanari

Masanari Active Member

Does anyone think it is worth creating a private forum on phpBB or something so we can share more private data and stuff like DHCanary suggested?

7. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

I was thinking along similar lines Mifune. Much as I don't want to take traffic away from this site, I'd rather not discuss things too openly so that anyone looking for data online can find it. If we make a forum, I think we should have no reference to GPRO in the URL, or page names, so google can't find us too easily, and make sure all members have to be approved before they can see anything.

I'd be nice if between us we can collect a database of wing splits for all tracks for a start, and I've procured some very good fuel consumption data which has been perfect for me so far which I'm willing to share. When I've got more free time on my hands, I want to start looking for trends in data, and having everyones data from the same race will make picking things out much simpler as it reduces the variables.

Happyal, I have realised my team aren't as good as I'd hoped. They approached me to join them, which I'll admit I was surprised by, and through PMs with the team leader I got the impression that they all shared data and discussed things in much more detail than they do.

8. Masanari

Masanari Active Member

Ok so I have set up a forum and it can't be seen by guests and I think I have to approve people who sign up which will prevent people just making an account to look at our data.

So if people are wanting to join give me a PM and I will PM you the link for it.

9. Forza Bianchi

Forza Bianchi Well-Known Member

10. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

My only issue with sticking it on the uncut forum is that the other people who use it might not take kindly to it being there, and fill it with drivel. On a similar note though, i guess we could do what the Newcastle board did with their sexy poll and get it shifted to another forum, which is password protected. This crossed my mind the other day so I checked how easy it was to use google to find the sexy poll, and I couldn't do it, so that might be a good solution. I'd rather we didn't move away from not606 if possible, as I don't want to take traffic away from MalteseMick, but if it isn't possible then maybe forumotion or something like that might be a workable solution.

11. GP'er

GP'er New Member

Hey guys not playing the game much anymore but have a good friend Tim that has a solid team that he is looking for 2 maybe 3 guys if another guy leaves top join his team! Very Active team, with some tools to! If you are interested let me know or apply with the the and let them know Joel sent you! As I told him I would let you all know! Sorry I haven't been around lately hope to get back into the game soon! His team is http://www.gpro.net/gb/TeamProfile.asp?TeamId=540! talk to him I'm telling you this is a team you want to be apart of! They're recruiting as they just started a 2nd team and guys left his team to join that one!

12. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

Shameless Bump:

Need an F1 fix before the season truly gets underway?

This thread has slipped down the pages recently, but within the Not606 community there exists an active GPRO 'team'. If you've never heard of GPRO before, the game is an online F1 management game, where you compete against managers from all around the globe. The game consists of 2 live races a week, on Tuesday and Friday evenings, and before each race you are responsible for setting up the car, qualifying, and coming up with a race strategy. You also hire and train drivers and staff, negotiate with sponsors, run testing sessions, and pretty much everything else a real-life F1 team has to do, all whilst trying to keep a positive bank balance!

If you're interested, sign-up is free and you can join mid-season. A lot of the game involves data collection, so joining mid-way through the season gives you time to collect data and get used to the game, before pushing for promotion to the higher leagues next season. Any questions then there are about 7 of us on here who can lend a hand, and help you on your way.

13. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

If any members of the forum, old or new, are interested in playing GPRO - an online F1 management game, then now is the time to sign up! Theres just a couple of races left of this season, giving anyone interested the chance to get to grips with the game before trying to compete next season. Several contributors to this forum already take part, and next season we look set to have several members in the higher leagues.

Between us we've amassed a healthy amount of data and tips which should stand you in good stead in your rookie season, certainly enough to get you scoring points fairly quickly. So as not to clutter this board, and to keep our data private, we discuss the game on our own dedicated forum. If anyone is interested in giving the game a go, let Mifune or myself know and we can give you some tips to get you started, and invite you to join our team.

Any questions, don't hesitate to ask!

14. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

wow this is still going, I feel bad I gave up even though I started this thread. How is it going? Did you guys create a team and how many from here are playing?

15. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

We haven't yet created an official team, we haven't really got enough members, and three of us are already in separate teams. We've currently got about 5 of us active.

Happyal and myself are currently in Amateur: I'm certain to relegate, but he's spent the season saving money ahead of a promotion push next season, I think he's currently in the top 30 richest managers in the game.

TheModestMatt is currently 2nd in his Rookie league, certain to promote at the end of this season. Tezcat is 4th, but all those above him have run out of money, so he's looking good for promotion. Sportydan is 6th in rookie, but in a similar situation with some of those above him out of money, so he just needs to hold off 7th to promote. Finally Mifune is 7th in his league, but with the financial state of his league, a negative balance for one of those above him could see him promoted too.

Overall, that's 6 active users, 5 of which contribute to our discussions (I've not seen Tezcat about for a while), and hopefully next season we could have as many as 5 in Amateur, 1 in Rookie (me!). Next season is solely aimed at data collection and number crunching for me, whilst Happyal is aiming for promotion to the Pro leagues, and everyone else is aiming to survive in Amateur.

16. happyal

happyal Active Member

Still playing, going OK.

I'm saving money in Ams at the moment. Next season I hope to push for Pros. It's a bit boring while you're saving etc.

17. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

Nice work guys! keep us informed on how you get on

18. Masanari

Masanari Active Member

I got promoted to Amateur but got relegated last season. This season has been mainly just training up my driver for a promotion push next season.

19. Drudeboy

Drudeboy Well-Known Member

i played this a bit when this post first went up. quite good, but a bit time consuming if you want to record and use all the data you get. won't join again, but good look for your next season guys.

20. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

You definitely get out what you put in, but I think once you get spreadsheets set up, and get used to GO (the organiser program available), managing each week doesn't take too long. Realistically, I reckon promotion to Amateur should be possible for anyone within 2 seasons, with maybe 1 hour a weeks effort.