1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Nottingham........

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by Redprintt, Oct 9, 2020.

1. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

..... Has the highest rate of Covid 19 infection in the country.
    Why are the government waiting till next week for further restrictions? Seems clear, I can't see why we're waiting.

Closer to home. City were up there last weekend and I wonder in the next few days if we'll hear that some of our players have become infected.

clingo likes this.
  2. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

The government, w@#kers though they are, have a very difficult choice to make, between enforcing lockdown to slow the spread, knowing that it will mean financial ruin for many people and businesses (and that in itself has health implications) and the disaster for the economy - the ripples of which we will be feeling for generations to come, balanced against allowing some sort of 'normal' life to continue, lessening the blow to the economy and individual's finances, but allowing the virus to spread unchecked and the health issues that would cause - to say nothing of the burden on the NHS.
    I would give local councils the powers to take - and enforce - decisions as they see fit, giving a more 'agile' localised approach, but nothing is foolproof.
    Recent evidence suggests that over 40% of new infections originate from schools or other educational establishments, whilst less than 5% come from bars/restaurants. Closing the pubs would address the 5% - but what about the rest? Again, shutting the schools would be disastrous for the education of our young - plus the chaos it would cause amongst parents trying to work.
    It's a case of 'damned if we dont and damned if we do.

Regarding City; all footballers and staff are tested regularly - plus the players and staff would have bussed in and bussed back out afterwards so it's not as if they would have been in contact with many people in Nottingham on Saturday. I would suggest that the risk to them was negligibly greater or worse than at any football stadium at this time.

Reliant Robin TC2 likes this.
  3. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

I have a cousin at Nottingham University and she was awarded an international scholarship at U.B.C. here in Canada which she completed this last spring. She visited us out here on the island around that time frame but on her return to the university was told that she had to vacate the student dorm and leave the country unless she had a safe place to isolate. Basically she had to leave Canada around the time that new rules were being implemented and air service was disappearing by each day and was lucky to get on one of the last flights to leave Vancouver before things closed down for international travel.

Most Canadian universities made strict policies on in-class sessions way back in May and it has shocked me to see the proliferation of cases at Nottingham and Newcastle specifically and I fear for her safety along with other young people furthering their education in this time of crisis but unfortunately it would appear that the young are the biggest reason why the virus has taken a huge upsurge in cases and we over here are guilty of the same downfalls but fortunately out here on Vancouver Island we are still somewhat more fortunate in the number of cases.

Stay masked and stay safe one and all.

4. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

5. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

London on the rise, do you think they will put them into lockdown?

6. realred1952

realred1952 Well-Known Member

I ask the question … Is the change in the air , temp:humidity: wind have an influence on the virus transmission assuming everyone sticks to SD and non mixing??
    I know from recent experience last 10 years what students get up to in fresher week and the weeks after ….. in parties of 20 plus … you always get 1 or 2 that are exhibitionists well over the top with alcohol ...and drugs! they become status symbols … an image that should they not wish to be part of , leaves them as out casts to that group ….. partying being the main activity of the weekend or evening.
    since freshers week it has really taken off … proximity and alcohol ...the villians

7. Redprintt

Boris is now making a statement on Monday. I guess he'll put the North into much further restrictions and London seem certain to follow soon after.
    The North has a far higher infection than Scotland, yet restrictions are coming later. I don't understand.

8. realred1952

realred1952 Well-Known Member

different governments and infra structures there is more condensed housing and is more like "London" [% of peeps in multiple flats/towers ]

9. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

It could be worse you could live in Wales (labour) or Scotland (SNP) both have faired worse than in England.

This youtube clip just about sums up the standard of the 650 morons who govern us.

10. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

Bit of a bummer for the scousers - really annoying that they have to go to Manchester for a drink now.

Angelicnumber16 likes this.

11. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

Haven't heard of any raves or massive illegal get togethers happening in Nottingham like there have been in Greater Manchester and London over the past few months.
    I think we've been very very lucky here in the South West even when compared to large swathes of Wales just across the Bristol Channel. Long may it remain, and nationwide infections, hospitalisations and deaths start to drop again quickly.

12. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

An area of infection in Nottingham is the Boots complex. Staff were furloughed. Employees returned to work and infection spread. This has occurred with Boots putting in place rigorous infection control x testing.

13. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

That's quite scary if this is happening and there is adequate Social Distancing in place at the Boots complex, and staff there have sufficient PPE etc.

14. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

Actually cancelled my trip to Nottingham this weekend because of the numbers. Absolutely no need to put myself or my family at risk by going there.

What I can't fathom is this fallacy that it's either save the numbers or save the economy. It can't be one or the other, because somehow our government have managed to mess it up so badly that we have both the worst numbers and the worst performing economy (with comparable countries at least). Does anyone actually think these new restrictions there are going to work?

As much as I don't want it, at all, I can't help but feel the Scotland idea of a 16 day lockdown makes the most sense. Just lockdown for 2 weeks, get the numbers back down, and back to normal for the run up to Christmas. If we carry on as we are, when we do eventually lockdown again, it might need to be much longer.

Don't know about you guys but the last week or 2 have definitely taken a turn for the worse mentally. Just seems glum everywhere at the moment - we need some cause for optimism soon I think. :emoticon-0101-sadsm

clingo and AshtonRed like this.
  15. Redprintt

Rob, I must admit that in the last 2 weeks I've felt, as you say, 'glum'.
    I think it's the dread that Covid is coming back big time and the Government are playing at these bloody tiers. I'd be happier if they led rather than followed, it seems theyre always behind the curve.
    I also hope for more severe and strict conditions, even a 2/3 week complete lockdown (bar schools).

Bet your life Boris will be back in a few weeks with restrictions that he should be enforcing now.

clingo and BCFCRob like this.
  16. Redprintt

Just seen the BBC News.

I am not Starmer!

Angelicnumber16 likes this.
  17. AshtonRed

AshtonRed Well-Known Member

It seems to me the government are always reactive rather than proactive. There does seem merit in locking down again completely for a few weeks and getting the numbers down, (schools too). If we are to stop this getting out of hand again we need to act decisively now. Leaving it will only mean we will have to do it later but for much longer.

clingo likes this.
  18. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

Who's to say what's right or wrong on this...we could have a 2/3 week lock down, but if that don't work, then what?? More retail and jobs etc will go to the wall right across the Country, including places like the SW where the figures are low...................nobody's a winner in all of this.......I think politics is now being played rather than cross party cooperatively..........

Reliant Robin TC2 likes this.
  19. Redprintt

1For
    I can't really disagree with you.
    As you say who's right or who's wrong.
    I've decided to come down on the side of Sage who advised 3 weeks ago for a lock down.
    It makes sense to me. The virus 3 weeks ago was less prevalent and would have a much higher success rate in suppressing the virus.

I don't doubt Starmer and co are making the most of this virus. The trouble for me is Boris and Hancock haven't come across as at all competent.

clingo and BCFCRob like this.
  20. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

We are taking the advice of the science for the last 6 months. Now the science says we’re heading for a second wave. It’s we are ignoring the science.
    You can’t make it up at the moment.

clingo likes this.