1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Numero Uno!

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Dier Hard, Nov 9, 2018.

?

Who should be Spurs' number one goalkeeper?

1. Hugo - he's dropped in form but he'll be back sooner or later

44.1%
  2. Gazza - he's earned the chance, yet to disappoint in a single appearance

55.9%
  3. Vorm - shouldn't be forgotten, a model pro and reliable keeper to call upon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

He's been superb

Lloris should have to earn his spot but I doubt he will have to

Dier Hard likes this.
  2. The Huddlefro

The Huddlefro Well-Known Member

Gazza all the way for me. But I doubt Poch shares this view...

Dier Hard likes this.
  3. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

Going by past experience, Lloris will be straight back in the side at the earliest opportunity.

If Gazzaniga gets bored of playing back up keeper than the profit on him would be huge. Although I’d rather keep him at the club.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  4. deedub93

deedub93 Well-Known Member

Both are decent keepers but Gazza's distribution is far better. Gazza for me.

5. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

I'm not 100% convinced by Gazza but I've got to admit to not missing Hugo's 'distribution' one little bit.

deedub93 likes this.
  6. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

Lloris has a serious injury and I cant see him getting fit enough to displace Gazzaniga this season. However if he does get fit then Gazzaniga will have played enough games for everyone to better judge his value.

The Changing Man likes this.
  7. Citizen Kane.

Citizen Kane. Well-Known Member

8. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Not sure why, one of the options for the poll has retired and another is on loan at Elche...

9. Billy The Spur

Billy The Spur Well-Known Member

I think now is the time to start looking for a future number one to take over from Hugo, he is not getting any younger and the mistakes are seemingly becoming more frequent. The problem is we have so many other areas of the team that need major surgery also, so GK may be the lowest priority.

10. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

To be blunt, I don't blame Hugo for his mistakes: I blame the increased workload

It's like when Robbo kept getting beaten from distance when we had the Jenas/Zokora pivot screening our defence, which never happened when he had any of Carrick or Davids in front of him - and also explains why Hart gets beaten from distance so often, since I'm on the subject

Obviously there's no denying that we are at the point where we should be looking for Hugo's long-term replacement, and with Thomas Strakosha's name doing the rounds a bit last summer it's likely the higher-ups agree, but imagine if we dropped Hugo's long-term replacement into the current mess. They'd be done for

11. Tilly'sowner

Tilly'sowner Well-Known Member

You have to allow goalkeepers to have some mistakes in them. What we do need is quality defenders to help reduce the burden on Lloris.

12. Billy The Spur

Billy The Spur Well-Known Member

Yes, Allison Wonderland has been lauded as the best in the world, but look at the comedy errors he is regularly making these days. Ederson has a water tight defence in front of him at the moment, and is facing far less shots than Hugo, Allison etc, so has less opportunity to make a rick.

13. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

Measuring any player by mistakes is absurd. If a GK saves one certain goal every second match and throws one on the net every three matches then he is still up 6 goals on the year compared to someone who can't make the saves and never makes a mistake.

14. Tilly'sowner

Tilly'sowner Well-Known Member

But you need to remember it was only the other week we were all saying how brilliant Lloris has been and making great saves. He simply cannot expected to save them all week in, week out! All players make mistakes on the pitch. This is why we put an emphasis on team working to help minimise the impact of these mistakes. Unfortunately for goal keepers, their mistakes are more costly than the likes of Winks and Lucas constantly losing possession.

This is where great top quality defenders will help the goal keeper.

15. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

We certainly need to look at a new number one sooner or later regardless of Hugo’s recent mistakes. He’s 34 now and whilst keepers can play in to their late 30s it doesn’t mean they’re still elite keepers.

Football is always advancing too and nowadays keepers need to be good with the ball, something Hugo has never been. A great shot stopper in his prime with unreal reflexes but with a near post weak point.

He’s been the best keeper we’ve had in yonks but everyone’s day comes and goes. There’s bigger priorities that need upgrading right now but if an option became available in the summer the club should act.

Billy The Spur and BobbyD like this.