1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

O/T Codhead Fenty gives Sportstalk some grief...

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Lincoln Tiger, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Lincoln Tiger

Lincoln Tiger Well-Known Member

The Chairman of Grimsby Town John Fenty rang into the show tonight and had a right pop at Mat Dean and Gollum. Pretty pissed off he was. About the last 10-15 minutes, worth a listen and very entertaining...though probably not as entertaining as the thrashing they got last night at Halifax! I think the relationship with BBC Humberside might be in jeopardy! Give the frequency to North Ferriby...

2. Stuart Blampey

Stuart Blampey Well-Known Member

Was that with reference to his non league club's capitulation and how it was covered?

Or was it complain about how amateurish and shallow their programme is?

Let's hope it's the latter.

The lack of professionalism on that programme beggars belief.

3. originalminority

originalminority Well-Known Member

Humberside should have a totally different frequency for Lincolnshire Football, one programme a week for eggchasing max and free the air waves for blanket coverage of the top side in Yorkshire, Hull City AFC, constant updates on all our teams, youth, reserves and all the build up to every massive Premier League match, hype, supporters opinions, campaigns, ex-Tigers, fanzine stuff, there should be a constant drip drip drip of City news in the local media............

4. Lincoln Tiger

Lincoln Tiger Well-Known Member

The latter more or less, he accused the show and specifically Mat Dean for stirring up the **** and having it in for the club. He has a point. Indeed, not one Grimsby fan tried to get through (do they listen?), tweet, txt or email, so perhaps the so called 'fans clamouring for information' as described by MD was stretching the truth somewhat! It was amusing though.

5. Sir Cheshire Ben

Sir Cheshire Ben Well-Known Member

6. Stuart Blampey

That programme can only dream of having an 'agenda'.

The limit of their aspirations is to get through another 60 minutes of stretched-out non news and 'chat', and Lloyd's in particular is to read his autocue without too many bad errors.

7. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

Matt Dean handled himself very well, shame Gwylim had to dribble all over the piece.

8. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

John Ex Aberdeen now E.R. Well-Known Member

As usual.

9. tigerrev

tigerrev Well-Known Member

Grimsby are in a mess on and off the pitch (oh dear :D) Fenty moaning at RH about it won't change that

10. FarmerTiger

FarmerTiger Member

What a plonk that LLoyd is, how he ever got a job presenting beggars belief, and to get paid for it. Sports talk does come in for some flack but without lloyd I think its ok, and Matt dean certainly came out on top in his spat with fenty. I did wonder whether he realised he was on live radio, if there was any doubt on his judgement it must surely be questioned now. On a side I do wish they would drop HUmberside, i think there is only the bbc and the police holding on to it.

11. bum_chinned_crab

bum_chinned_crab Well-Known Member

Ive said it before and I'll say it again - when he does the sports news does he even read his lines first before he goes on air? He struggles through them like someone for whom English isnt their first language. He reads it as well as I read Swahili.

Yes he might have some facts stored away and have some good contacts but preparing before you go on air by reading your set lines is the absolute minimum someone reading the news should do. To not do so is amateurish beyond belief and it brings down the perception of the whole station. And his "jokes" and painfully unfunny. And he's ****ing ugly.

12. Chilton's Hundreds

Chilton's Hundreds Well-Known Member

Grimsby, as a Town, has a huge chip on it's shoulder when it comes to their North Bank neighbours.

I've worked there and have business links with Grimsby and they think the grass is greener (or maybe the river is bluer) in Hull.
    It's amazing how many of them think that Grimsby gets a poor deal from Central Government and that Hull's recent capital projects
    were entirely due to John Prescott's time as Deputy PM. If Hull can pull off the City of Culture coup it will be another nail in the coffin for Grimsby
    and only further their delusion.

With City being in the PL and Grimsby in mid-table of the Conference, and looking down now rather then up after recent occurrences, it must be galling for Fenty
    to see the neighbours doing so well. I think the pressure has got to him. Much as it did v Newport last season when I witnessed him
    confiscating a flag from a young Newport fan (it was in the director's area though) and breaking it in two (that give an insight into his character).

They also believe that City gets much better coverage on RH and that the presenters are biased against Grimsby (back to the paranoidal chip).
    Which is ironic because City fan's think that we get poor coverage and often take second stage to rugby league and the football teams from the South Bank !

13. Stuart Blampey

But they broadcast to the Humberside region. Radiowaves know no boundaries.

I can get get Lincs FM and BBC Rdaio Hallam on my car radio in town.

The positioning of the BBC's transmitters is why we get stuff from Lincoln and Boston on Look North (rather than Malton or Scarbro).

14. FarmerTiger

FarmerTiger Member

Take your point but Humberside no longer exists, why not just call it BBC Radio Humber?

15. Stuart Blampey

Humberside does exist.

It no longer exists as a local authority or political entity, but as long as there is a Humber estuary there will always be an area referred to as 'Humberside'...just like Clydeside, Teesside, Tyneside etc

16. FarmerTiger

FarmerTiger Member

Take it you don't like name changes! I was glad to see the back of Humberside as a region, and the sooner it is erased as a reference to our fine area, the better.

17. Stuart Blampey

Not really fussed about name changes.

I'm glad that we have HU postcodes as they recognise this city as a regional hub.

I'm glad we have the BBC broadcasting TV and radio from Hull.

When I was a kid we had Look North from Leeds and never got a look in.

This has been real progress and and we've gone from distant outpost of Leeds to our own regional centre.

Recognising Hull and district as a distinct region cannot be understated in terms of importance.

I think Humberside assisted that- otherwise we'd still be under the Leeds yoke and getting all the chuffin eck types on our telly each night celebrating diwali in Dewsbury schools and lower league football round up.

18. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

It should be BBC East Yorks(BBC Radio Lincs should cover Scunny games and Grimsby if they wish), the population is big enough and normally warrants a station of it's own, it's only some transmitter position bollocks that stops it from happening.

19. Stuart Blampey

Yes.

If only some on here could realise that, instead of bleating about a nasty London cosnspiracy......

20. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

As I understand it, the regional issue is more than just the position of the transmitter. There are other internal BBC reasons for it. They reckon (but can't provide) they've done surveys to show the regional distribution is what us locals prefer.