1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

O/T Race for Life

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Is Vic there?, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Is Vic there?

Is Vic there? Top Tipster

We came home to Hull this weekend because the Wife and Daughter were running in the Race for Life which has been relocated to original circuit through the City centre.

Did anyone have family or friends attend this very worthy event ?

2. C'mon ref

C'mon ref Well-Known Member

Most certainly did, my daughter, who uses crutches to get around everyday, my granddaughter and daughter in law along with her friend all did the course. They walked, not ran, and I think they said 50 minutes but the overriding thing for me was that all the girls and women, of various ages and sizes, gave their all to complete the route. I was at the finishing line and saw the results of what it meant to some of those taking part, some where crying as they passed the finishing line, and you could guess why as on the backs of the participants were little notices describing why they were running the race. Many ran in memory of loved ones lost to the disease or in hope that some loved one who has the disease will pull through. Others were retching at the sheer physical effort, not everyone had a lithe physique, and it was hot, it may only have been 5k but in that heat it was a credit to everyone when they passed the finishing line.

Babes in arms to elderly grandparents and also not forgetting the disabled competitors, the spirit of the competition seemed to carry them all to the finishing line, a big part of the city centre was a sea of pink. I have seen this race start when at Costello but then left, this time I admit I had reasons to watch, my family were taking part. So I would just like to add, a very well done to all participants, it wasn't a race as such it was more of a social occasion and as far as I was concerned every one of them was a winner. Time to get the wallet out now and pay my sponsorship money. :emoticon-0148-yes:

3. Is Vic there?

Is Vic there? Top Tipster

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on yesterday !

I'm truly Gobsmacked that no one else who has read this thread didn't know anyone participating.

4. FILEYseadog

FILEYseadog Well-Known Member

I knew a couple of ladies who took part in the race for life event in Hull , one lost her mum to breast cancer.

Also a friend from llandudno who has recently finished a course of chemo took part in an event in north wales

Well done to everyone taking part.

5. FILEYseadog

FILEYseadog Well-Known Member

Hope everyone in your family is ok Vic.