1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Offical match day thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by PINKIE, Aug 5, 2019.

1. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

Have to say, the FA cup is dull as dishwater until the SF stage. If we get there then great, I'm all over it. But until then, couldn't give that much of a stuff.

straycat_67, BrunelGunner and TheBear like this.
  2. straycat_67

straycat_67 Well-Known Member

Agreed! Considering how precarious our PL performance has been pre Xmas I'd be happy to be knocked out of the next round of the FA cup if it meant finishing the PL in the top 6! So important we get Gabriel & Partey back and don't have any unnecessary injuries.. play the lazy older sods in the FA and the younger ambitious ones in the PL I say! ;)

3. gills4prem

gills4prem Active Member

It's a great chance to get back into Europe if we don't make leauge position or win Europe.....

PINKIE and gooner4ever like this.
  4. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Partey available tonight. Tempting as it is to throw him back in I'd keep him on the bench and play Xhaka and Elneny in the middle with Smith Rowe further forward.

Elneny has done pretty well since he came back into the team. He's not glamourous or particularly dynaminc, but he does his job well and he's unfussy and pretty tidy in his work.

What's the latest on Martinelli ? He's another player who I think we need to be careful with and not rush him back too soon. He's going to be a world class striker imo, as long as his development isn't hampered by injury.

TheBear likes this.
  5. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

please log in to view this image

6. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

He was back in full training so should be available for the next match.

7. TheBear

The Arsenal fans that were calling for Maitland Niles to replace Bellerin need their heads examined.
    His passing is atrocious.

Missing Tierney on that left hand side.

8. omogooner

omogooner Well-Known Member

I think AML is a better defender than Bellerin..Maybe not as good going forward!

9. TheBear

He has Bournmouth, Newcastle or Brighton written all over him.
    For me he's another example of a young player who gets to this level mainly on athleticsm. I dont think he has the required technical ability.

10. omogooner

omogooner Well-Known Member

I think he needs a good run in the side to see his quality. He is much better than just being an athlete, he has most of the the time come in and done a decent job!

11. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

AMN been poor in the first half. His final ball is really lacking. Definitely missing Tierney down that side.

Bit slow playing out from the back too. By the time we’ve got into the palace half, they have regrouped and are back in numbers.

2nd half I’d like to see us getting the ball to Smith Rowe a lot quicker.

TheBear and BrunelGunner like this.
  12. TheBear

Started this half much better.

Need to get that goal though!

13. TheBear

Ugh Pepe is looking like a massive waiste of money.
    He's done nothing at all since coming on. He just doesnt react aggressively enough to situations - he's soo mild and cautious.

You can see the ability is there though. If only there was a way to motivate him.

14. white_gunner

white_gunner Well-Known Member

This team still has problems scoring goals.

we are half way through January and have not brought anyone in. I really think that’s criminal. If you want Arteta to succeed, be proactive and get the proper players in.

15. white_gunner

white_gunner Well-Known Member

Honest question:

if we end up 10th or lower come the end of the season, should we continue to persist with Arteta?

16. TheBear

That was frustrating.

Would'nt say we played badly though.

Saka had one of his weaker performances. AMN is not good enough. Thought Xhaka and Smith Rowe both played well.

Auba kept having to come too deep to receive the ball. Pepe was terrible when he came on.

Palace were good defensively but we should have been sharper ib the attacking third.

17. TheBear

It's not criminal mate we cant bring anyone in.

We literally have too many players -In fact Ozil on 350k and Sokratis on 100k are not even in the squad.

We have to sell to bring in and nobody wants Ozil, Mustafi, Sokratis etc.

On top of that we just took out a £150m loan from the bank of England just to stay afloat.

18. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Really flat performance that.

Thought we were slow and over cautious. Took far too long to play it out from the back. Luiz was at walking pace for most of that game.

When we did get the ball forward, Palace had numbers back and crowded the defence. We had no ideas in the final 3rd and there was a lack of runners into what little space there was.

We really missed Tierney’s runs down the left and his crosses into the box, thought we might do better when Saka moved over there but his touch seemed to let him down.

Pepe was a let down again. Didn’t really offer anything when he came on. I’ve said it loads of times before, but when it’s not happening for the team, I want to see players like Pepe just take players on, run at them and take some shots. It doesn’t matter if it doesn’t always come off. But you need to give the defenders something to think about.

Palace were pretty comfortable throughout that game and we should have been making it much more difficult for them

AMN I’m afraid for me isn’t of the quality needed and should be moved on in the summer.

TheBear likes this.
  19. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Your attack/build up was much slower than the last few games and i think that was because of the loss of Teirney (and possibly Martinelli). they are on the same wavelength as the other young lads and add so much more threat as a group.

TheBear likes this.
  20. BrunelGunner

BrunelGunner Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Awful performance and a crap result.

This is why I think we won't be finishing higher than 8th in the league. Because we are still unable to break down teams who are defensively resolute, whilst we look vulnerable against pacy attacking players who are direct.

Too many players not willing to take responsibility on the ball, too many players not incisive enough with their passing and too many players not working hard enough off the ball. That performance was exactly like how we were playing towards the end of Emery's reign.

Arteta takes the blame for that, though. He fielded an unbalanced starting 11, then took too long to make the changes and did nothing to break down a low block.

5 games in a row we haven't beaten Palace now <doh> Utterly embarrassing.