1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Grand Prix thread Official'ish singapore GP chat and predictions

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by El_Bando, Sep 13, 2018.

?

Who will the best fans see win?

Poll closed Sep 15, 2018.
  1. Hamilton

35.7%
  2. Bottel

14.3%
  3. Hamilton's wingman

7.1%
  4. Vettel's lazy buttler

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Crastappen

21.4%
  6. Riccenault

7.1%
  7. Someone else for a change?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Bring back Big Ern

14.3%
  1. dhel

dhel Well-Known Member

I dont think Vettel had any new softs left though...remember he gambled it in Q2.

ched999uk likes this.
  2. moreinjuredthanowen

classic Ferrari panic.

there's 50 people doing analysis and they come.up with that ****..

seen it loads from them

3. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

I’m definitely harsh on Bottas- he’s a solid driver. I look for the racing instinct and there’s been times this year where you’ve seen the difference between him and a Hamilton/Vettel/Verstappen/Ricciardo.

When race winning seats are so scarce, that’s why I call it a wasted seat. It wouldn’t be so bad if McLaren and Renault made it 5 teams and 10 cars in the mix.

I also think Rosberg now looks underrated. He really did push Hamilton HARD. Bottas hasn’t done that yet.

4. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I wonder how much of Vettels strategy was down to his crash in fp2. He missed all of his race prep that usually happens in that stage of free practice and ended on a tyre that just wasn't suitable.

5. moreinjuredthanowen

tbh I'm still shocked anyone thought he was ever pushing hamilton.

his days in the Williams showed a profound inability to push where he let 2 or 3 chances slip.

he's been a guy in the same car as hamilton and that makes him look really weak same as a lot of guys over the ages.

as a driver he's grand..mid table. hulkenburg type. if the hulk made a few less mistakes and had Wolff in his corner he could be in that seat you.might say.

nothing separates bottas from 3 or 4 other not paying drivers who are not top tier... so he should be grateful to have race wins to his name.imo... not.many get those.

6. moreinjuredthanowen

well.. there has to be some element of that but the team had Kimi's data.

in the end hamilton sped up and Ferrari saw him.going 3 seconds clear and reacted. whether they felt they had to I don't know but putting on ultra was madness and it was proven when hamilton kept.going and ended up 4 seconds clear after stop... at that points the race was over.

7. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

The problem with second drivers is that for the teams they get the most publicity from winning the drivers championship. So while they also want to win the constructors they don't want drivers taking points of each other in the same team. Sad to say but each team really wants a good wingman for their star driver.
    Ferrari will be interesting next year as Vettel doesn't seem great under pressure and I think after the first half of the season LeClerc will be piling on the pressure.

8. Justjazz

Justjazz Well-Known Member

I think you are being a bit harsh. there have been a couple of times when Bottas had the edge on Lewis earlier in the season and not long ago was told to hold position when he clearly could have taken the lead, think he was almost in mid maneuver on one occasion.
    The poor guy has been shoved into a number 2 slot, publicly, how do you think he feels. And before you say that is because of his performance, he was the victim of bad luck earlier and has shown the ability to challenge. He may now be demotivated.

9. moreinjuredthanowen

I just wonder if it's only when Lewis isn't into it.. he's been that way a few times.

I think he was hired as rosberg shocked Mercedes and wolff saw the opportunity. he's clearly a no 2 in their minds and acting like it.

10. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

Would you view Ocon as a number 2 ?

Because if we are to believe what we read , He will be reserve driver next year and imho replacing Bottas in 2020 .

11. easynic150

easynic150 New Member

What will George Russell be doing next year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. moreinjuredthanowen

maybe... 2 years from now is a long time... he's a quick lad but also a bit chance so we will see. he might find hamilton has ****ed off or he might a guy with less hunger

It's so far off who knows. all I know for sure is Merc now look at bottas as 100% the no 2.

13. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

Fair comment . Do you mean they will view him as #2 for the remainder of this year , or on going?

14. Justjazz

Justjazz Well-Known Member

With the title at stake he has to be No 2 for the rest of the season, I personally don't see that as his de facto role next year. Ocon as reserve driver doesn't mean he is the person in waiting, i think it is Toto taken care of his boy till another drive becomes available.

Perez, have they made the decision to keep him over Ocon for the right reasons, might Ocon have been a challenger with greater integrity against Stroll. Perez has shown his selfish, questionable side on several occasions.

15. moreinjuredthanowen

with daddy's boy in the next car keeping Perez seems madness however both drivers rammed each other numerous times.

16. moreinjuredthanowen

imo I just don't see how they can view him any other way. he would have to win 6 in a row.or something to change it.

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  17. Viva_Giggsy

Viva_Giggsy Well-Known Member

Hasn't even won a race this season which is embarrassing, he's driving in one of the best cars on the grid.

18. dhel

dhel Well-Known Member

Last six races of season:
    2014 - Hamilton won 5 of last 6
    2015 - Hamilton won 3 of last 6
    2016 - Hamilton won 4 of last 6
    2017 - Hamilton won 2 of last 6 (Max won 2, Vettel 1 and Bottas 1)

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
  19. dhel

dhel Well-Known Member

Kimi hasn't won a race this season, and he is in the best, fastest car...and he is a better driver than Bottas...So???? In fact, I rate Kimi the 3rd best on the grid, only behind Hamilton and Alonso...Ricciardo a close 4th.

easynic150 and Number 1 Jasper like this.
  20. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

Kimi can't do a tyre strategy. That's his downfall