1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Oldham Athletic AFC v Sunderland AFC - Tuesday 8th December - KO 18:00

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by RTB, Dec 7, 2020.

?

Your prediction

Poll closed Dec 8, 2020.
  1. Home win

34.1%
  2. Away win

61.4%
  3. Draw

4.5%
  1. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Oldham Athletic host Sunderland in the Papa John's Trophy
    OAAFCvSAFC.GIF
    Last time out Oldham beat Cambridge and Sunderland lost to Wigan.
    Sunderland return to action when they travel to Oldham Athletic in the Papa John’s (EFL) Trophy on Tuesday, and Johnson is expected to make a number of changes with half an eye on next Saturday’s league trip to Lincoln City.
    Josh Scowen is confident that whatever side lines up at Boundary Park, they will be capable of winning the game. New head coach Lee Johnson wants to bring Jamie McAllister to Wearside and talks have already taken place.
    Oldham Athletic sit in mid-table in League Two. The Latics beat Cambridge United at the weekend thanks to an injury time penalty save from goal keeper Ian Lawlor.
    Harry Kewell (ex Leeds & Liverpool) took over at Boundary Park at the beginning of the season.

Lee Johnson:
    “We were ****e – is there a cooling off period?” :emoticon-0110-tongu
    “I thought the first ten or 15 minutes was good in terms of what I asked them to do, which was to have an attitude to play forward quicker, play forward, run forward and break lines with their passing,”
    “I want them to receive well between the lines, but then have the attitude to turn. I feel that we crossed the ball from poor areas too early and effectively let the opposition off the hook too many times."
    “I thought that the boys tried to implement the high press that we asked them to do, and that was a prerequisite as we came into the job."
    "That’s something that’s got to improve and continue to improve, and that will come from the structures of training and then the lads executing on the pitch.”

Harry Kewell: (yes - that one)
    “We knew what Cambridge were capable of doing, everyone watches the games so you’ve got to come with a game plan,” said Oldham manager Kewell."
    “We felt that it wasn’t the right time to play a certain style so we had to adapt, and when we adapted I thought that we caused them a lot of problems because I think they might have an idea of what we were going to do and it’s always nice when you surprise teams."
    “I think we controlled the first half, we got into good positions, we scored a goal, and I don’t know why they chalked it off but they did."
    “They gave their all in the second half, their right side connection play was fantastic and they delivered some dangerous crosses, but all in all we dealt with them, except for the one in the 91st minute.”

Form.GIF
    Match Appointments:
    Referee:
    SAMUEL BARROTT
    Assistant Referees: Ravel Cheosiaua and Oliver Bickle
    Fourth Official: Steven Copeland

Team Line ups
    Sunderland:
    Patterson, Taylor, Sanderson, Almond, Neil, Hawkes, Dobson, Steels, Diamond, Embleton, Curry
    Subs: Richardson, Hackett, Wearne, Wilding, Dunne, Harris
    Injured: Feeney, Xhemajli, Willis, Kimpioka, Younger, Wyke, O’Nien, Hume

Oldham Athletic: Lawlor, Coelho Jombati, Diarra, Clarke, Borthwick-Jackson, Ntambwe, Fage, McCalmont, Garrity, McAleny Grant,
    Subs: Whelan, Rowe, Keillor-Dunn, Barnett, Bahamboula, Bilboe, Hamer.
    Injured: tbc

Betting Odds:
    Home
    13/5 Away 5/6 Draw 12/5

My two pence:
    Just when you think your luck is going to change – it gets even worse <doh>.
    If I was Johnson – I’d play the yoofs in this game and get the first teamers on constant set play and shooting practice.

I’m going for a 2-1 away win.
    Live stream £10
    https://www.safc.com/news/team-news/live-video

Ha’way the Lads

2. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

:emoticon-0148-yes: RTB

Could not care less about this game other than it gives us a chance to see what the new manager is about...

Robgee, Gil T Azell and RTB like this.
  3. smithy in nl

smithy in nl Well-Known Member

We will win this and the manager can have a look at some other options without the risk of losing points happy days.

4. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

nice thread yet again mate, due to our latest run have us down for a loss the only way we can win is for him to have Leds spraying the passes the speedy lads down the wings and give our young forwards a chance. head says loss heart says 6-0 win to us as always praying for the win, buy hey ho have come to accept that we are where we are

5. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Well-Known Member

Need our strongest side out for this one imo. Need to get back to winning ways ASAP.

6. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

****ing pointless game get the young lads some minutes I say.

7. Makemstine Roger

difficult one nads while i agree with your reasoning i think the manager will be desperate for the win, and not 2and0,as i said on the match thread heart says win head says loss

8. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Aye I mean we need a win to get back firing, but **** Graham, Grigg etc they should be paid off.

Hapless twats. Play a striker out of the youths and see if they can at least ****ing move.

9. Oliver's Army

Oliver's Army Well-Known Member

I think we will win tomorrow but for some reason I clicked home win on the poll. Young lads got a great chance to stake a claim.

Robertson and RTB like this.
  10. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

Another top thread RTB on a game in which we should see some changes, we certainly need them.. This mess Parkysaurus and his clones have left behind, is not going to be cleared up overnight, but this new regime at least gives us some hope for a brighter future. OaU.

Robertson, RTB, Mad Dog and 1 other person like this.

11. Makemstine Roger

everyone's praying he is the 2nd coming of the Sunderland messiah and not another wilko

RTB, Mad Dog, Draig and 1 other person like this.
  12. clockstander

This is going very Pythonesque here. <laugh>

RTB and Makemstine Roger like this.
  13. DAPARKERSAFC

DAPARKERSAFC Well-Known Member

Something like this tomorrow night?

Burge
    C. Mac Sanderson Taylor McFaz
    Dobson Neil
    Diamond Hawkes Embleton
    Curry

Robertson, Nads, RTB and 2 others like this.
  14. Makemstine Roger

im leading a team to test it out we have a Jesus robe and an appointment at the pool ,for the walk on water fund raiser

clockstander likes this.
  15. Makemstine Roger

will you pack it in please with this Dobson Dobbin selection he is crap mate

Mad Dog likes this.
  16. clockstander

Would enjoy seeing something like that, and we need to see how they would cope. I would swop Taylor and C Mac over. And give Grant and Dobson half a game each alongside Neil. but thats my sort of team <ok> And it would give LJ something to think about imo.

Robertson, RTB, Mad Dog and 1 other person like this.
  17. master-simpson

master-simpson Well-Known Member

Need a win to get a bit of confidence.

0-2 to the lads.

Bart

RTB and Makemstine Roger like this.
  18. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I reckon we play basically everyone who didn't play against Wigan, the sooner Johnson can identify who is his type of player the better and obviously that's best done in a competitive game.

Robertson, Nads, RTB and 2 others like this.
  19. DAPARKERSAFC

DAPARKERSAFC Well-Known Member

It's the Papa John's trophey

I'd rather not tire Leadbitter, Power or Scowen's legs for Saturday

20. clockstander

I get your drift but we need to add a little experience to the team to give it a semblance of stability, I would say maybe six players who would be considered first team choice like Sanderson MacFadzean etc given half a game each, the result does not matter here but a win and the resultant confidence boost is the best way to move forward, its an interesting fixture if that is how LJ plays it.

smithy in nl and RTB like this.