1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

[OMT] Tottenham Hotspur v Liverpool

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by THFC6061, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Spudulike

Spudulike Well-Known Member

The players on the whole aren't responding to Sherwood because he doesn't command any respect and how can he? He comes with no managerial reputation, no experience and no track record to call upon. Add to that, he has a tiny 18 month contract so the players all see it for what it is... temporary! So why build a team on his football philosophy when the Chairman who hired him shows little faith as well and he could be gone in a matter of weeks?

All comes back to one thing.... piss poor board level decisions yet again. Love him or hate him, Sherwood is being used as a scapegoat for the real idiots who got us into this mess. The crux of the issue is Tottenham is being made into a laughing stock by the club's hierarchy and enough is enough.

2. totsfan

totsfan Well-Known Member

MoTD 2 confrimed the twitter rumours were not true,last night,the team performance yesterday made me embarassed to be a Spurs supporter,the defence were a shambles,and there was no cover for them from midfield,the whole squad needs looking at and sorting out,and Eriksen needs to be playing the VDV role in the side

3. Sidney Fiddler

Sidney Fiddler Well-Known Member

The accountants have won and brainwashed the great and bad.
    Our "bay of Pigs " day will have to come.

4. totsfan

totsfan Well-Known Member

i don't want the USA invading WHL <yikes>

5. lennypops

lennypops Well-Known Member

If we had got two extra points?

Or if Chelsea hadn't had an incredibly flukey victory over Barca in the CL semi.

Or an incredibly flukey win over Munich in the final.

Or if the rules for CL qualification would have been the way that they are now, following the only time they've ever been tested in the way they were when Chelsea finished 5th but won the thing. Spurs will be first and last team to ever be dicked over in that way. That's pretty damned unlucky.

Or if Arsenal hadn't gone on a run of form which was pure title-winning level.

Of course it would have been more than two points if Harry hadn't built such a massive lead over Arsenal earlier in the season.

I think his records at West ham, Portsmouth and Spurs have shown that he is far from an average manager. Exactly how can you compute that a manager who has the record positional finishes for three EPL teams, won the only silverwear since the 30s for Pompey and took Spurs into the CL for the first time, along the way defeating some of the cream of Europe, is average?

You know the scores of managers who did not do that with Spurs or Pompey or West Ham? Start looking there if you want to find "average".

Yeah Harry could have done more. Name one boss who couldn't. Is Wenger crap cos Arsenal have not won the title off of teams with budgets 2, 3x bigger than theirs? Was Fergie "average" cos he didn't win the title and the CL every year. And exactly how well do you think West Ham, Pompey or Spurs would have done if Fergie or Mourinho or whoever was in charge? You think they'd be winning league titles and silverwear? I think the effects of even the best managers can be hugely over-estimated in some fans' minds.

6. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

"The players on the whole aren't responding to Sherwood because he doesn't command any respect and how can he?"

But they seem to have done similar to AVB this season too.
    Which suggests the problems on-pitch cannot be solely laid at the feet of AVB and Sherwood.
    So more concerning is that the squad may be full of hissy girls who think they know best.

And they are likely to also throw a strop if a Fergie-esque manager appears (which Van Gaal is
    said to be akin to) and starts laying down the law.

7. The RDBD

"If we had got two extra points?"

Again, ONE extra point.
    Just one extra draw from that appalling P11 W2 D4 L5 sequence in the final third of 2012.

8. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

Im glad no fight took place...there is only so much entertainment we should provide the rest of the prem with!

9. vimhawk

vimhawk Well-Known Member

Lennypops - hear hear, well argued.

10. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

So does that mean one of our players decked Sherwood for skulking to the stands?

11. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

Perhaps I should be clearer about this: 5% of managers are brilliant and have transformed their clubs, (eg Shankly, Clough, Ferguson and Wenger). I think we need one of those to completer Levy's project because we don't have the resources to spend our way there. There are probably 5% who are absolutely rubbish. The other 90% make some difference but not so much as you'd really notice so I'm calling those average. Which group would you put Redknapp in? I'm simply saying he's not in the top 5%.

12. Spudulike

Spudulike Well-Known Member

True but hasn't it been that way for some time? If you take into account this generation of soft arse footballers who need a shoulder all the time and constant reassurance, plus our culture of being a soft touch, is it any wonder we have a dressing room full of followers and no leaders?

How many of our squad can we reasonable say is going to get stuck in every week, no matter what? Sandro yes. Friedel if picked. Kaboul when he's fit. Anyone else? I'm struggling to think of any...

We need a tough manager to sort our dressing room out just to tell them to man up or get out. It's about time.

13. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

Dawson & Walker and Dembele, Lloris, Paulinho, it's not so much they don't try more they don't appear to realise that they have to close down rapidly in the PL. Eriksen looks a little afraid at times.

14. The RDBD

"True but hasn't it been that way for some time?"

Sadly yes.
    It seems in this touchy-feely era, the Fergie method could only be tolerated because
    of the superb success that went with it. Similarly with Jose and his gobbiness.

Once Jose departs the PL for good, we may be left with a league of managers
    who are a combination of outreach consultants and spin-trained parliamentary MP
    media interviewees.

15. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Lloris. Even when he's been on the receiving end of a lot of stick, which has sometimes been justified, I've never got the impression that he's hiding or failing to give 100%.
    He had a good game yesterday, despite getting a pummeling.

I think that Rose often goes too far the other way, chucking himself into tackles that he'd be better off not making and getting injured as a result.
    He got ripped apart yesterday and I think he's suspect defensively, but our tactics this season haven't helped him and have often left him utterly exposed.
    He's rash and a bit petulant, but I don't think that he shirks his responsibilities or is afraid to fight.

Dembele, Dawson, Bentaleb and Kane always seem up for it to me, too.

16. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

I'm not so sure it's just a matter of "man up". I think they just need organising, and to be given proper direction and management. Preferably by somebody who knows what they're doing, for a change!. What they currently lack is confidence. They lack that confidence because they have no belief or faith in the way they are being handled.

17. paultheplug

paultheplug Well-Known Member

Lamela, when playing, seemed to play for the team. Just not picked enough.

18. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Usually because he's injured.

19. paultheplug

paultheplug Well-Known Member

Even when he wasn't injured and was the best player he was not picked for the next match!!

20. Bumps

Bumps Well-Known Member

I am no spurs fan, in the same way you guys are not liverpool fans, but i have to say, as much as i hate to, rednapp was perfect for spurs, your football was cavalier and his deadline days were awesome. Some managers just fit a club, and i don't know why but harry was perfect for spurs, not sure it works going back, plus you have taken a few backward steps but surely worth trying him again?