1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Other results in the Championship

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Mexican Hornet, Sep 12, 2020.

1. Flittonhorn

Flittonhorn Well-Known Member

Brentford in my opnion

Markthehorn likes this.
  2. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

Aside from the dire football on show, that was a nice touch from Barnsley with the shirt for their former player Eric Winstanley who died this week. He was what many would call a 'proper centre back' for them in the old Third Division - a tough nut to crack but well respected. If I remember rightly, he scored three against us in the 1968/69 promotion season.

Nice goal by Barnsley to level the scores...

Markthehorn likes this.
  3. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

1-1

Makes it interesting

4. J T Bodbo

J T Bodbo Well-Known Member

I was there that night, not far from Sheffield. I think we were 2-0 up at half time, and clearly Eric said something like 'S*d this for a game of soldiers' ( or the Barnsley version anyway) - went up front, and scored with 3 headers. He was a magnificent player servant and legend for Barnsley. RIP.

Bolton's Boots likes this.
  5. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

They did the double over us that season - am pretty sure he scored in both matches.

6. andytoprankin

andytoprankin Well-Known Member

I may be wrong, but I thought I heard some monkey chants from the Barnsley crowd, aimed at Ayew during the first leg. Matej and I did an immediate turnaround on who we wanted to win. He scored shortly afterwards. :)
    It’s the ideal play-off final, I think. The best two footballing sides are in it. Of course Muff never entered into the equation of ‘best footballing sides’.

7. duggie2000

duggie2000 Well-Known Member

A Brentford "supporter' invected the Swansea board after they beat Barnsley saying
    Just want Andre Ayew to suffer a career-ending injury. I don’t think that’s unreasonable.
    I always knew there was a reason I didn't want Brentford to win the playoff, now I know what it is

andytoprankin and Markthehorn like this.
  8. NZHorn

NZHorn Well-Known Member

I'm so glad that we are not in the play-off final. It is great to win but...

9. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

Congratulations to Brentford - took control of the game and deserved their win.

Swansea were better 2nd half but too late and the red card ended their chances.

oldfrenchhorn likes this.
  10. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

So pleased for them.....

11. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

I'm happy for them and my Brentford supporting pals... one of the club's I used to play football for were based in West London / Middlesex and the make up of the players was mainly Chelsea, QPR, Brentford, Fulham and Watford... the remaining players scattered across the the big three north and east London clubs, Poo and Manure, and then the odd provincial straggler.
    I'm staggered how many fellow Horns were there especially as I travelled from Watford to play for them: about 15 miles by motorbike or quite the convoluted bus and tube journey via Northwood, Northolt and Greenfield if anyone is remotely interested, I used to stay with the lead singer on a Saturday night before Sunday's band rehearsal and got roped into playing for the local pub team made up almost exclusively of players from that club... did well enough to be asked to asked to stay on. I ended up playing for them and then refereeing for them long a long time after the band split.

andytoprankin and Markthehorn like this.
  12. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

I used to live in Isleworth and the Arts Centre at Brentford was a local for us.
    And yes... getting to the VIc for games was a long drawn out affair that took a minimum of 90 minutes....
    One European night all public transport stopped on me at Willesden... to this day I have no idea how I got home from there...

andytoprankin and Hornet-Fez like this.
  13. Chris 13

Chris 13 Well-Known Member

I wanted Brentford to go up, they deserve it.
    That said, I think we stood a good chance next season of getting 6 points against Swansea but doubt we will get that from Brentford, maybe 3 or 4 at the most, maybe only 1 point!