1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Other Sport

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Cyclonic, May 29, 2017.

1. Reebok

Reebok YTS Mod
    Staff Member

Don't know how many of you are F1 fans - not many I suspect - but the Belgian GP was a complete farce.

Final qualifying on Saturday saw Ver Stappen on pole, Russell 2nd and Hamilton third, in quite wet conditions, with forecasts of more like it on Sunday.

Sunday saw the race stopped on the starting grid, deleayed for 3 hours to see if there was any improvement. When there wasn't, the started the "race" behind the safety car. All cars followed in their grid order until 2 laps had been completed, then the "race" declared done and the podium 3 were the same 3 off the starting grid, being awarded half points. I can see that the brilliant efforts, particularly of Russell, getting his Williams into P2 should be a just reward FOR THEIR QUALIFYING efforts, but the race should just have been abandoned. The crowd were getting their money back, so what's the deal in just abandoning the meeting!

It boiled my piss as they say!

2. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

I really hope Lukashenko is a football fan <laugh>

3. redcgull

redcgull Well-Known Member

And here was me thinking that i will get through my day, get home, turn the cricket on watching the possibility of a great England win, or a superb batting performance to earn the draw and deny those pesky Indians...:emoticon-0138-think :emoticon-0114-dull: :emoticon-0127-lipss

4. Chaninbar

Chaninbar The Crafty Cockney

100 for 1st wicket then 110 for the rest. Pathetic. Bear in mind too the Indians did us a huge favour by not picking their best bowler.

5. stick

stick Bumper King

How about the Middlesex openers then. In 1998 Mike Gatting and Justin Langer set a county record of 373 for the first wicket. I doubt they ever thought they would see that beaten but it was today.

redcgull and OddDog like this.
  6. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

Neither side were at full strength. I'm sure you know that. No idea why you wouldn't want to give a balanced view, though.

Being bitter like this when you overplay results is a terrible look, imo.

7. redcgull

And then the next batter in got 4...!! OUCH...!! :headbang: :emoticon-0127-lipss :emoticon-0121-angry

8. stick

stick Bumper King

Fishing question.
    Why does Boris need to raise taxes being as the UK is now out of the EU and therefore saving £350,000,000 every week?

rudebwoy and Chaninbar like this.
  9. NassauBoard

NassauBoard Well-Known Member

Is this about Haddock?

10. Chaninbar

Chaninbar The Crafty Cockney

Opinions are like aresholes, everyone has one. I’m well aware England have injuries that depleted the squad. Stokes and Foakes being the obvious ones. My point was that Ashwin was fit and available and India chose not to pick him. Fair enough maybe at Trent Bridge and Headingley but if he cant get a game at the Oval he didnt need to tour. As for being bitter i’ve no idea what you’re on about. Losing all 10 wickets for 110 runs in 50 odd overs is pretty pathetic. The openers had seen off the new ball and though there was some reverse swing the middle order should have done better. Only New Zealand’s batters seem to be able to bat under pressure. England, Aus and India all have vulnerabilities.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021

11. smokethedeadbadger

smokethedeadbadger Well-Known Member

Congratulations to Canadian teenager Emma Raducanu. Sensational performance. Qualifier to champion. History made

rudebwoy likes this.
  12. OddDog

Staff Member

She’s British mate - the lass she beat is Canadian <ok>

13. smokethedeadbadger

smokethedeadbadger Well-Known Member

Yeah it seems we've done the usual and claimed her as our own. Born in Canada to a Romanian Mother and Chinese Father but we'll have her coz she's talented. Its what us Brits do. Still some achievement wherever she is from.

rudebwoy likes this.
  14. rudebwoy

rudebwoy Well-Known Member

Find it laughable all these folk suddenly into tennis because a union jack is next to someones name ........common tactic to celebrate success, and when they lose they revert back to earlier status, Andy Murray was British as a winner, scotsman as a loser .......I totally admire the athletes wherever they're from , hate the nationalistic drum banging , if her Canadian opponent won , would people be singing her praises or bemoaning the other girls loss , all down to flag waiving !

Tamerlo and smokethedeadbadger like this.
  15. OddDog

Staff Member

She has dual citizenship (same as I do). I find the whole story a very positive example of immigration - both parents work in the finance sector and worked hard to support her development. I think its great that she chose to apply for British citizenship and Britain should be very proud of her.

Chaninbar and smokethedeadbadger like this.
  16. stick

stick Bumper King

Isnt it funny when the word "immigrant" is used. I think most straight away think of poor people that have had a real struggle when of course that type of immigrant is probably in the minority. We have many immigrants on these pages are it seems most are fairly well off and ended up where they are by choice.
    What little I know of Raducanu's background suggests that they are in the UK by choice and hardship has not been present. She is not only a brilliant talent where her tennis is concerned but also a very well educated young lady.
    Amusing to see the number of claims being made of her from nationality to religion with the suggestion that even the colours of her outfit are significant.
    Let none of this take away from the most amazing story tennis has possibly ever seen.

smokethedeadbadger likes this.
  17. redcgull

This made me laugh, Pep Guardiola talking about the new wonderkid on the block Cole Palmer after scoring against Club Brugges last night...

"The people in this world want things immediately, quick, but everything needs time," he said.

"You cannot cook a good dish if you don't spend time in the kitchen. So, take time."

Has he not heard of Pot Noodle, 2mins in hot water, instant satisfaction...!!<laugh> <laugh> <laugh>

SwanHills likes this.
  18. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

England playing very well against South Africa. But we know SA all too well, and will come out with all guns firing in the second half! Thought the criticism on the forum after the Australia game was very harsh, as I thought England showed real promise with the likes of Steward and young Marcus Smith playing outstanding games. Australia lost the game because of their ill-discipline, usually an England affliction. Other than that, wasn't a bad game at all. 'Chalk & Cheese' comment therefore very harsh, IMHO.

19. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

Wow oh wow! That was a fantastic win for England! What an absolute thriller of a game. This Marcus Smith deserves the OBE or something, and so young too. Just cannot believe it, hasn't sunk in yet! <applause> :emoticon-0141-whew: :bandit:

redcgull and Bustino74 like this.
  20. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

Fantastic performance <applause>