1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Other Sport

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Cyclonic, May 29, 2017.

1. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

Regardless of the above comments, I still like old Pep, and he's still a damn good trainer. For pity's sake, the money has always been at his disposal so why the **** shouldn't he use it? Is someone trying to tell me that other trainers wouldn't, or did they all start their careers with Vatican United? For Christ's sake, really............

Chaninbar likes this.
  2. NassauBoard

NassauBoard Well-Known Member

Not only that, it doesn't look like he has overspent on this one either.

Chaninbar likes this.
  3. stick

stick Bumper King

Cheap in the modern game. I was expecting to see 90m plus!

4. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Well-Known Member

Any manager would take advantage of the situation, that's for sure, and it would be foolish not to, but you have to have the manners to admit it and not lie when you are asked about what City spends, he always responds with evasions and lies and also pretends to be offended. Now he has a polemic with Klopp because according to him the vast majority of fans and journalists in England are Liverpool fans. All to divert attention from the Champions League elimination.

5. smokethedeadbadger

smokethedeadbadger Well-Known Member

Would have probably been £100m+ had it not been for the release clause

6. Pilgrim

7. SwanHills

Hmm, no offence Pilgrim, but I don't think i'll touch the clip. Every time I tried something 'different' in a video replay, my dear old Toshiba PC plays-up. I know the old sod is going to crash-out one day soon, so I have to be gentle with it! Getting things going with a new PC drives me bonkers as I just don't have the know-how of a great many of the guys on the forum. But, I guess I'll have to get one soon in all probability. :emoticon-0101-sadsm

8. Pilgrim

The link is from the second most important sports newspaper in Spain "AS".

It is an animation with photos of City's possible starting eleven for next year and the cost of each player, very interesting.

SwanHills likes this.
  9. Tamerlo

Tamerlo Well-Known Member

And just to think my local team's JImmy McIlroy, one of the greatest inside forwards ever, went out of the game with nothing and ended up labouring on the roads for Burnley Council. The last time I saw him was when I stopped at the traffic lights, and he was digging up the central reservation on his own at tea time on a bitter Friday afternoon in December. Perhaps he should have given in to Danny Blanchflower's urgings to join him at Spurs, and then he might have had enough money to enjoy retirement. He certainly deserved more than the idolatry of the fans. RIP Jimmy.

Bustino74 and Pilgrim like this.
  10. redcgull

redcgull Well-Known Member

The rest of the footballing fans in the country maybe grateful to Liverpool making it a two horse race next year with Citeh after they signed the Messiah in Haaland...!!

Sounds like they are going to win each and every game 7-0 if you believe the hype around this 21 year old footballing son of Alf-Inge Haaland, a second rate defender, who's son is now on £400,000 a week & Peps new bestie. And he will have his vengeance on those who put scorn to his massive wages as he wins the Premier League title, League cup but only manages to get and losing semi-finalist medal in the 2023 Champions League campaign...!! :emoticon-0140-rofl: :emoticon-0140-rofl: :emoticon-0140-rofl:

11. SwanHills

Yes, very sad indeed. I remember that fine Arsenal player Jimmy Logie too. He served in the Royal Navy for the entire duration of WW2, and returned to full-time football afterwards. He was a talented and creative footballer with Arsenal, and it was surprising that he only played once for Scotland. After retirement Jimmy fell on hard times; football was not the lucrative profession it is currently. He eventually ended-up working in a newsagents in Piccadilly Circus. He died in 1984, aged 64. RIP Jimmy Logie <peacedove>
    (Source help from Wikipedia!)

Also remember an old QPR favourite Arthur Jefferson. All R's fans just loved old Arthur. A stocky fullback who took no chances, any danger and he would belt the ball high and wide and out. He might have got the ball over the roof at Loftus Road once or twice, but can't be sure of that. Guess Arthur did better than a lot of good footballers after retirement, as he had a busy Fish & Chip Shop in Shepherds Bush, which he owned and ran with former teammate Albert 'Smudger' Smith.

Tamerlo likes this.
  12. Tamerlo

Likewise Arthur Jefferson, Burnley’s international winger, John Connelly, also ran a fish and chip shop when he retired from football.
    Connelly was unlucky in that he played in England’s opening match in the 1966 World Cup, but a goalless draw meant Ramsey dropped Connelly and decided to play without wingers, a decision which undoubtedly cost the latter a permanent run to the final - and a winner’s medal, although non-playing squad members were given a winner’s medal over forty years later.
    Also, Connelly spent a couple of seasons at Man. Utd in the mid sixties, but apparently he had an unhappy experience with the club, characterised by Bobby Charlton’s opening comment when meeting the players….” If I call for the ball, you give it to me, right?”

redcgull and SwanHills like this.
  13. Bustino74

Bustino74 Thouroughbred Breed Enthusiast

People wouldn't know what a fine side Burnley were throughout the '60s and the streams of top class players they developed, had play for them and often sold.

Tamerlo likes this.
  14. redcgull

Didnt football only start when Sky started showing the games on tv Bustino...!!:emoticon-0102-bigsm :emoticon-0102-bigsm :emoticon-0102-bigsm

Tamerlo likes this.
  15. Tamerlo

Their success in the late fifties and sixties was largely down to their top scouts- Geordie Dave Blakey and others. They also had a fantastic reserve team who regularly won the old Central League, and received a hefty £1000.00 fine for fielding the full reserve team against Chelsea for a home First Division match which ended 4-4 (prior to a European Cup match against Rheims).
    Their ‘59-60 Championship winning side had many international players but the total team only cost £13,000 : 8,000 for McIlroy and 5,000 for Elder, both players signed from Glentoran. The rest were largely Scots and Geordies.

16. Tamerlo

Disgraceful comment, Red, given that your home team were a founder member of the English League and won the inaugural Championship in 1888-89 and completed the FA Cup Double in the same season. <laugh>

redcgull likes this.
  17. redcgull

2022 US PGA Golf Championship @ Southern Hills...

High winds could be the story this week as gusts of 30-plus mph are forecasted for each of the first three rounds and, while the wind is expected to weaken for the final round, it still could blow 20 mph Sunday. Those going out early on Day one might just get a heads start on the rest of the field... Apparently it will be blowing in all different directions for the first three days before switching to the northeast Sunday... Excellent...!!

So with this in mind i've gone for accuracy from the tee & GIR as that seems the way to go...

Daniel Berger @ 40/1
    Seamus Power @ 50/1
    Abraham Ancer @ 80/1
    Brian Harman @ 125/1

PadPow is paying 1/5 odds top 10 finish, so fingers crossed i can hit with a couple of these...<ok> <cheers>

18. redcgull

One more thing, if you have ever watched the gangster film Black Mass, based on the real life crime lord Whitey Bulger who ran one of the most notorious gangs in America in the mid to late 70's then we have a connection to this years golf championships...

In the film there is a scene where the main hitman for Whitey takes out a business man in a car park after playing a round of golf at.......... The Southern Hills golf course...!! It's a great film, and i urge you to watch it if you like your gangster/crime films especially based on true events...

I don't think that Sky Sports will be leading with the fact there's been a murder on the main car park of the gold course, but you never know...<laugh><laugh><laugh>

19. redcgull

And while i am at it, if you know anything about Whitey Bulger and the WInter Hill Gang he was caught on the run for some 15-16 years living as an old frail man in Miami... He got absolutely trashed while serving his sentence in jail and from memory had his eyes gouged out and most of his head caved in...!! How they manage to do this while serving in solitary is any ones guess...<whistle><laugh>

20. smokethedeadbadger

smokethedeadbadger Well-Known Member

Skybet are doing top 12 if interested mate