1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Other Sport

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Cyclonic, May 29, 2017.

1. King Shergar

King Shergar Well-Known Member

Sorry if I'm not upset that Bolt didn't win his 50th Gold Medal at the expense of our rely team <ok>

2. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

Only had one brush with dressage people in my whole life, Cyc. Two years ago my wife was in a clinic for minor knee surgery. The other woman in the two-bed room was a German equestrian/dressage woman, who was, as far as I could gather, somewhere around the top dozen or so in the country. Her hairless brother (dead ringer for Erich von Stroheim) was visiting her when I was helping my missus move in prior to her OP. The chair 'von Stroheim' was sitting on was blocking the cupboard door which we were trying to open to put my wife's clothes and whatnot in. It seemed beneath his dignity to budge one inch, and so it was my painful duty to tell Erich to move his ass just a little, or words to that effect.

Von Stroheim and his sister were the most unbelievable snobs one could imagine, and, luckily, the very next day Madam von Stroheim was moved to a special unit on another floor. Next patient was a very charming American/German lady, married to a doctor. Although the lady lived a long way from Munich, my wife became quite good friends with her, and they still talk on the phone occasionally. So, all's well that ends well.

I am absolutely sure their behaviour was not typical of the dressage fraternity, but it was a poor introduction for me. There was ****-all 'elegant' about these two jokers!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
    Cyclonic likes this.
  3. SwanHills

Then why didn't you put it that way? Me neither, but I do not think Bolt would have pipped the first two anyway, he was below his very best and is retiring at the right time. It was just sad that he pulled up lame after all he's given to the sport of track athletics. The way you think and react is your own business, of course. I just thought the tone of your first post was heartless. No further discussion from me. EOS. <ok>

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  4. Chaninbar

Chaninbar The Crafty Cockney

A true sporting legend up there with Ali in my lifetime as a great imo.

SwanHills likes this.
  5. stick

stick Bumper King

I think it might not even be an over-statement that Bolt saved athletics at a time when the sport was doing its level best to self destruct.

SwanHills and Chaninbar like this.
  6. Cyclonic

Cyclonic Well Hung Member

You lot have no idea! In 1988, after finishing last in both the 70m & 90m ski jump at the Winter Olympics, Eddie the Eagle gave sport the kick in the arse it so badly needed. He might not have been any good, but he had gonads. What a man. How can anyone not be in awe of a bloke who when questioned about his abilities, stated. " In my case, there are only two kinds of hope - Bob Hope and no hope."

7. SwanHills

Agree 100%. The mostly-British spectators who attended the 2012 Olympics and the latest World Championships at the London Stadium can take a lot of credit too. Sold-out every evening, and damn near so in the earlier sessions, e.g. 64,000 in the very first morning session of this latest tournament. Knowledgeable too. Along with great athletics stars like Bolt and Farah, they have proved to be the saviour of track and field, which was, as you rightly say, 'doing its level best to self destruct'.

8. Cyclonic

9. SwanHills

You have a point. A year or so ago Eddie was on a late evening show on German TV. He charmed the balls off everyone. I think someone should present a fine set of "Golden Balls" to Eddie for his contribution to winter sport? He proved that anyone can have a go at dangerous events, if you have the guts.

10. Cyclonic

And the mighty All Blacks are about to give the Wallabies another flogging. Just about to sing the anthems for the first of the Bledisloe clashes. We've been on the painful side for the last 15 years, but I live in eternal hope. :)

11. Cyclonic

3 minutes in, Australia 3, NZ 0. Where's the full time whistle when ya' need it?

12. bayernkenny

bayernkenny Well-Known Member

Planet Earth back on it's fulcrum:

Australia 6 - 12 New Zealand

Favourite 'rugby' tournament along with 'League' State of Origin series.

13. Cyclonic

Not lookin good Kenny. Another one. :(

14. Cyclonic

We couldn't tackle a pudding with a bloody spoon.

15. bayernkenny

Cyc; were my eyes deceiving me? Did the Australian 'defence' give up after the interception for the second try?

16. Cyclonic

I think Folau was caught too far in and was out paced mate, plenty of errors even before the ball got to the NZ winger. Our defence is abysmal.

Wait until you see the tackles missed stats at half time.

17. bayernkenny

Conveyor line; where has this Damian McKenzie come from?

Is a record defeat in the offing?

18. Cyclonic

I didn't know all that much about him Kenny. He plays for the Chiefs.

Try 5.

19. Cyclonic

The Kiwi pack is monstering us.

20. Cyclonic

Wallabies have to redress the 34% of ball and the 37 missed tackles. Can't win, so it's about pride now.