1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Other Stuff (anything you want to share)

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

England/Cameroon lose....VAR win.....what a mess.....comedy hour.

2. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

Yes i do agree, absolute rubbish. Canada play Monday hopefully without the use of VAR.

3. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Hard to discern between what is extra injury time and what is extra time taken by VAR.....referee bottled out over Cameroon refusing to play.

If there isn't enough quality women refs....then use men.

4. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Couldn't see much wrong with the outcome of VAR except at the end when the Camaroon player got a yellow instead of a red. Nasty challenge and like a few others totally meant as well. But, having said that Camaroon felt hard done by over the course of the competition and I can see why when you look at some of the decisions they didn't get. They are though a very physical side that thinks nothing of throwing in a dubious challenge and deserve to be out of it. Thought our players kept their cool in the main and they lost theirs. Good result for us and not a fluke. in any way

5. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

There should have been a straight red within a couple of minutes of the start...when an English girl got an elbow in the face going down the wing....it certainly didn't look accidental on the play-back.

Cameroon's not given goal was tough on them.....that off-side was so minimal you needed feeler gauges to detect how small the gap was.

The Chinese Referee was so lenient on the Cameroon players literally going on strike....and they just ignored her whilst they had a two minute mass sulk.

Not sure about not being off-side if your not involved in the play.....we did have the other day one player who was not off-side although she was directly in front of the keeper and within three foot of her....how can that not be interfering with the keepers line of vision.

6. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

I thoroughly enjoyed it. Back to the good old days when you could always expect some South American or African side to run amok in the World Cup. Who remembers that guy who ran out of the wall at a free kick and hoofed it 60 yards down the pitch before the ref even blew his whistle?

Classic.

7. notDistantGreen

BTW, I was amused by a Tweet from Argyle Voodoo today,

Argyle Voodoo‏@ArgyleVoodoo
    FollowingFollowing @ArgyleVoodoo
    More
    "The Bury staff and players are 100% behind Ryan Lowe.. " they said. By the looks of it in rows, B, C, D and E of tomorrow's 9.30am Flybe from Manchester to Exeter.

8. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

That's quite funny notdistant and yes I do remember the African player running out of the wall and booting the ball up field. They all just stood there in disbelief but it was the hilarious moment of that competition.

Not sure about a straight red for the elbow as there was at least some doubt about intent even if it did look a tad suspicious. No doubt at the end though. The offside was sadly offside even if minute in distance. That's the problem with VAR it is too exact at times. I have never understood the new offside rules about not interfering with play. Defenders get totally confused with it even now. Cloughie had the right attitude. If they aren't interfering with play then why are they on the pitch. You cannot surely not be interfering if you are stood in the centre of the goal mouth. Mind you I haven't heard one chant of "we always get **** Refs" in any of the games so far. They would have all got that at Argyle.

9. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

VAR joke once more for the yanks. That was the first proper dive I've seen in this competition for the second penalty. She won't be but should be totally embarrassed at that fall which was strides after any contact there might have been. "Oh I have lost the ball. Best fall over now". And looked like bambi on ice doing it. Shocking decision and yet another favourites decision by the officials. I once again claim bias being shown to those the organisers want to stay in the thing.

10. notDistantGreen

What's worse of course is that linesmen have been told not to raise their flags for offside in order to allow VAR to do its thing, whatever that is.

As offsides invariably mean goal scoring opportunities when attackers and defenders make maximum efforts, just wait until somebody gets their leg broken when in fact play should have been stopped 5 seconds before.

11. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Do we need linepersons (not linesmen please...tut, tut ) or assistant referees at all anymore....referees will be redundant next.....then the players, then spectators.....hey lets all stay at home a play footie on our computers.....far more sensible....that will be far better for the environment.....the greenies will be taking over the world soon.

12. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Your last line is a wish we all have plym. At Argyle anyway.......

13. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Red Arrows have been involved in a fly past to celebrate ...Armed Forces Day....I can tell you were they where at 1315 hrs....buzzing over my place directly in line for Biggin Hill.

14. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

1635 hrs....The Red Arrows have return.....passing low overhead in vee formation heading for Biggin Hill (only 5/6 miles as the crow flies from here) but not landing....no air festival there today....but obviously something to do with....Armed Forces Day.

15. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

They were on the Hoe on Saturday so it took them a long time to get to your end of the south coast. Everyone always looks when they pass but I can never quite see what people see in planes flying around in formation and stuff. Maybe I've seen it too often now.

16. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Watched the England match tonight and have to say I thought England were pants. Panic and bad passing especially out of defence were the order of the day and they looked more like scared rabbits than footballers. Having said that the Yanks were the closest I've seen to men's football for all of this tournament. They DO DIVE AND PLAYACT a lot. I fail to understand that if England were awarded a penalty why the Yank was allowed to remain on the pitch. If being a couple of yards outside the goal with only the keeper to beat is not the last player preventing a goal scoring opportunity then what exactly is? It was clearly that so it should have been Red not Yellow. The offside disallowed goal was offside but christ it was a inch if anything and without a camera stopping it frame by frame then there is no way you could have seen it with the naked eye. I know the Yanks will win this but I pray to god they don't.

17. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

It amazes me how long it takes to take a free kick near goal....the referee literally talks to every player and spends ages making sure that everyone is in the right place and generally the kick ends up a right damp squid......and with penalties it's even longer to organize.....the Ref tonight actually demonstrated to the goalkeeper how she had to be standing with at least one foot on the line by showing physically how it had to be.....and then the Ref has to go around all the other players making sure that they weren't infringing into the penalty area.....plenty of time to nip out and make a cup of tea.

18. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Third place play-off....all Sweden....gifted them the first....2-0 down now (20 mins)....looking pretty clueless at the moment....they should be a day fresher than the Swedes.

19. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

England improve and come back to 2-2....BUT video check decides England's second goal is hand-ball....from the pictures we were shown that was very harsh....no clear view to make such a decision.....poor ruling.

20. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Sweden...2-1...England....all England in the second half....just no breaks when it mattered....best team lost.