1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Other Stuff (anything you want to share)

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Jun 19, 2016.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Two results today. Bristol Rovers lose and Boris did too. The man is a complete and utter moron and all he does is reinforce that opinion for me. He really believes he is a World statesman and can walk through anything to enforce his views. If he does turn out to be the shortest time span PM in history then it shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. He was bound to balls it up in double quick time. One step nearer real sense prevailing........

2. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Is it though? Nicholas Soames, grandson of Winston Churchill, a Conservative MP since 1983 and a Defence minister under John Major, has been thrown out of the Conservative Party on the 3rd occasion he has voted against the Whip in those 36 years, whilst Rees-Mogg, who has defied the whip over 100 times, lounges on the benches as Leader of the House.

This is a putsch in which the Conservative Party has been taken over by right wing extremists and although I've voted for it since I was a misguided teenager, I won't be voting for it again for the foreseeable future.

God knows was lies in store. If Johnson does get his way, British industry will be decimated. It's all very well wittering on about planning but there's no plan to deal with 40% tariffs, goods stuck in the ports for days and no skilled staff. Ireland may well fall back to the horrors of the 70's and Scotland will leave the Union. I was Welsh, I'd do the same.

God rot Cameron for giving in to these bastards.

3. notDistantGreen

And the polarisation that's destroying British society summed up in headlines:

please log in to view this image

And then there's the Express............... even the Mail was calm by comparison

Only the Sun stays calm and carries on:

4. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Parliament have had three years to produce the result of the 2016 referendum....it is obvious that they are unable to do that.

So we need a new parliament.....which means a general election....and with that being a first past the post situation...it will still mean that millions of voters will not get to be represented at Westminster... ( 4million UKIP votes meant nothing in the end last time)....this time around read 'The Brexit Party' instead of UKIP....a stronger more balanced party with more recognized 'names' within it.

I fail to understand the comments about Nicholas Soames...just because he is the grandson of Churchill doesn't give him more...brownie points...than other MP's.....he's not fit to wipe the boots of his grandfather any more than anyone else is.....keeping it in the family days... hopefully have past.

5. notDistantGreen

The point is that the extremist lunatics are running the asylum. Rees-Mogg has a rap-sheet as long as your arm for voting against the whip: Johnson voted 3 times against May's Brexit plan and here we are with long-standing moderate MP's being thrown out for one transgression.

A General Election will prove nothing.

For a start, we'll probably end up with a hung parliament. The more MP's Johnson expels, the more seats will have the "conservative" vote split between the new neo-fascist Conservative candidate, the outgoing MP standing as an independent conservative and a Brexit Party loony. People like me will vote Lib Dem. He has a majority of -10 at the moment without the NI Unionists, how's he going to get a majority? Despite it's poor performance in the opinion polls, Labour may be the largest party.

There still won't be a Parliamentary majority for a no-deal Brexit, which is what only idiots like Johnson want to inflict on us.

We need a second referendum to kill this thing once and for all. Outright lies concocted by the likes of Dominic Cummins won't be tolerated a second time. The population in general are much more aware of the disasters that Brexit will bring.

6. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

A second referendum will be treated just like the first one....if you don't like the result ignore it.

Johnson only twice voted against May's deal...third time he voted for it....remainer's have continually reminded him of that.

The majority of those that voted against the government last night are those that want no leaving of the EU ever....so leaving with a deal isn't what they want either so maybe they should of abstained....because their desire wasn't deal or no deal.

First past the post elections are out of date.... proportional representation is how the majority of countries vote these days.....this cuts out extremism left or right and of course give parties such as The Brexit Party representation for the millions who will vote for them.

In the meanwhile the EU will allow a fair deal to be kyboshed by remainers who try to get 'no deal' off the agenda.

7. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Boris Johnson lied through his teeth over and over again during the so called campaign leading to the referendum. Since then he has simply continued to lie. I have listened to all of the crap being spouted over the last 2 days and all he does is threaten with no substance to anything. Simply the man will say anything to both hang onto power and get his own way. He tries to act like a Churchilian politician but ends up sounding like a clown.

If there is to be a second referendum the one thing that will get jumped on by everyone is lies and more lies. No bus doing the rounds this time with fake figures on it. People are more informed now and rightly so as this is still the biggest thing to happen in this Country for years and years. The last referendum was conducted without the vast majority of people having a clue what they were voting for. They aren't thick so didn't understand they simply were not given the information required. Different now and if a second referendum votes to leave still having had the opportunity to consider the proper facts in a proper manner then so be it. If a deal is struck then people need the information of what it contains. No hidden agenda just the proper facts. May was called a traitor and god knows what else. I was never told what she had negotiated so how anyone can form that opinion is beyond me. All we heard was it's rubbish. The first vote was leave or stay. No details of what leave meant or what deal was going to be used. Stay doesn't require explanation as the status quo would remain. They would not get away with that again.

I listened to PM's question time today and indeed watched it as well on the BBC news channel. I know not answering the question is fairly normal during that time but Boris only had one answer for every question no matter what it was. He could have just played the same recording and saved his breath. After that Javid gave a speech about the economy. He got pulled up by the speaker several times for electioneering rather than making his statement which is what he was there for. They have no idea any of them. I look forward to an election but only after Boris is put in his place properly over Brexit. Like you notdistant, I cannot see me voting for either Labour or Tory in a very long time. The only home I have at the minute is Lib Dem and I hope everyone else who is pee'd off will back their convictions and do the same rather than consider it a wasted vote.

8. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Been following the test match online plus Test Match Special commentary.

With so much reviewing going on regarding being out or not out...it amazes me how often the umpires come up with the wrong answer....ok it can be difficult seeing if the ball hits the bat or the pad first etc in real time.

It made me wonder that if this technology had been available decades ago....how many decisions would have been altered over the years ....and so many great innings and results would have been different than what the Wisden history books show us.

9. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Years ago a batsman walked if he hit it. You know if it hits your bat by either feeling it or hearing it. They are as bad as footballers now with their cheating. They just stand there and wait for a machine to give the decision. You didn't need a machine then.

10. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Ben Stokes actually surprised everyone today by walking before the umpires gave a decision....when the ball flicked his batting glove going through to the keeper.

11. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Yes he did but that is rare these days.

12. notDistantGreen

In another of my occasional "All Is Not Well" series, please read these two news items.

This is against the background of continuing yobbish chatter on Argyle related social media about persistent standing in appropriate part of the ground, pro-Brexit racism, puzzling dual club support for Glasgow Rangers (I wonder why them) etc etc. and indeed some aggro outside the ground that I personally witnessed after the Colchester game. One fan proudly posted a picture of his first pre-match beer last Saturday at a few minutes after 10 am with the statment that he intended to be well tanked up by kick-off. We're all off to the 1970's, I'm telling you.

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/sport/football/plymouth-argyle-oldham-police-assault-3297419

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/plymouth-argyle-ready-ban-fans-3298369

13. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Upsetting that you can go to a match and not to be able to see the game because some prefer standing in front of you.

What is pro-Brexit racism....how does it differ from normal racism.....hope your not being bias there notDistant....and how does it differ from Remain racism.

14. notDistantGreen

A very major plank of Leave voters thinking is anti-immigrant. I accept it isn't true of all or of you personally, but you know it is true of a majority. After all, we Remain voters are all limp-wristed, metrosexual liberal lefties aren't we, hardly racist material.

We now have a Prime Minister whose previous statements include racist, homophobic (tank-topped bumboys), anti-feminist and anti-gay marriage elements plus a list of disparaging comments about Papua New Guinea, Commonwealth countries generally (cheering crowds of flag-waving piccaninnies) and many others.

Is it any wonder racism is on the rise? The hateful Brexit process has made it socially acceptable again. And it's growing and football hooliganism is on the rise with it like a Brexit brown shirt rabble.

Do you know by the way what Hitler's first action was after he was appointed Chancellor in late 1932? Have a guess? Yes, by-passing the German parliament culminating in the burning down of the Reichstag in February 1933. Boris Johnson eat your heart out.

15. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I must of missed that notDistant.....when did Boris burn down Parliament....passed me by.....He would probably do us all a favour if he did....Parliament is not fit for purpose....now Corbyn has decided just to sit on the fence and support Leave and Remain.

16. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

Good statement by Lyndy well done.

17. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

18. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

Thanks Joe, it has been a bit weird. All the Herald did was lift my notes from the programme (without asking) and shove it on their back page (and even manged to get part of what I said wrong!). I didn't realise anyone read what I wrote , but in way they have done us a favour because it has been picked up by other media (facebook, twitter , various podcasts etc ) and far more people have now read it. We are talking about a very small number of particularly unpleasant people and the sooner they are no longer associated with the club , the better.

19. notDistantGreen

Well said anyway Lyndhurst. I do feel there are nasty things boiling in the pot though. The "persistent standing" thing is a constant issue which is presumably unique to Argyle but from what we see on the TV and read in the papers, the racism and homophobia are general.

Somebody Tweeted along the lines that "REGARDLESS of what anyone chanted, they were still PAFC fans" (my emphasis). Regardless? Really? Shout anything you like?

20. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Charlton v Sunderland.....20.000 standing fans behind each goal....you saw nought unless you were standing too...not too comfortable standing with the seat in front of you digging into your shins....not the best position to watch the game.