1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Other Stuff (anything you want to share)

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Jun 19, 2016.

1. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Brexit may mean Brexit but Project Fear means expert predictions, well founded and researched predictions by people who really really know about such stuff, that Brexiteers would much rather the electorate wasn't aware of. A good case in point was Bluster Johnson's statement on LBC last year that he knew more about car production than the Chief Executive of Jaguar Land Rover. Really?

I'll give you a good but non-Brexit example of this sort of behaviour. John McDonnnell was on the news this morning dismissing the very eminent Institute for Fiscal Studies' analysis of the Labour manifesto as being "simply not credible". Earlier in the week, the selfsame John McDonnell was using IFS analysis of Conservative plans to criticise the Tories. Which is it John?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  2. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

My mate Bradley Wright-Phillips is leaving New York Red Bulls after 6 highly successful seasons.

126 goals in 240 games.....that equals 0.525 goals per match.

At 34 years of age.....I would still have him back even with his dodgy leg that Reading FC turned him down over.

3. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

And to think a lot called him sick note down here. Tisk tisk...................

4. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

Old Mac donald does not know him self.. farce

5. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Went to the Dentist today. It is an NHS one as I can't afford to go private on my meagre pensions. A deep clean he said and then proceeded to clean my toenails from the inside. I normally don't have a jab but today I had to put my hand up and stop him. So, I got a jab and for the next 3 hours did nothing but drool down my shirt. I kept biting my lips and it was weird. Anyway, at the end of it I went to reception and they said "that will be £39 something on top of the £21 something I had already paid at the previous advice visit. I thought hang on a minute lets see if I can get away with this a bit. I said "there isn't any need to pay anymore because Boris is going to give you another £30/40/50 billion in a little while so you can take the money out of that". Apparently that doesn't count yet so I had to cough up. Is there any other occupation in the world except in the Sex industry that makes you pay the other person money for administering pain? If there is a next time I demand a very pretty nurse to hold my hand throughout. If it was good enough for Benny Hill then it's good enough for me.

6. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

I was at the Dr today, Prostate problems, a very pretty Nurse installed a Catheter, where was Benny Hill when you needed him. Bleedy hell it hurt.
    Think i would rather visit the dentist. but at least i can go pee
    Oh and it was free

7. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Oh come on BC it's no bleddy contest. Scenario one pretty nurse fiddling about with your nether regions.Scenario two a bloke with a drill and a bill (and no he isn't Donald Duck).

Hope you are ok...........

8. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

NHS Dentist.....bleeging heck what's one of those look like...in NW Kent 90% of dentists went private about 15/20 years or so ago.....I'm due to have an old filling replaced and including DISCOUNT it will cost me £171.....I'm hoping my winter fuel allowance comes through soon so I can afford it (£200 now I'm 80).

9. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

171 for a filling.. .. was it a gold one??

10. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I'd just pull the whole tooth out myself rather than pay that. I had to fill out forms and go on a waiting list to be "allocated" a dentist. Took me and her the best part of 2 years to get on the books and we got one where we have to catch two buses to get there. I think the NHS charges are a bit of a scandal never mind private. To have that filling would cost around £62 at my dentist if on the NHS list. It's a bog standard charge for the treatment. But, what happened to dentistry being part of your health? You can die just as easily from certain mouth infections as well as other types so what is the difference between that and a medical procedure? Once the Dentist gets you mind they have a way of making you come back and back again so collect enough cash one way or another.

11. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Not quite.....say hello to the new millionaires on the block......your dentist.

12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

First Christmas card arrived on the door mat today.....:eek:.

13. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Nope that's gas fitters plym.................

14. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

In the South East NHS dentists are rare....and the service they provide is diabolical.....I think they use Blue Tack for fillings unless they can find something cheaper.

15. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I see that a statue of Nancy Astor has been unveiled in Plymouth.

What brilliant timing that is in this present times.

A well known anti-Jew and anti-Catholic who agreed with slavery because it introduced slaves to Christianity.....just what we need to stir the pot.

16. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

But a woman, rich as Croesus and hardly a woman of the people, but a woman, and THAT'S what counts.

17. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I see Charlton have been bought by East Street Investments....who are believe it or not.... an Abu Dhabi based Consortium.....sounds like an Arab money factory.

18. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

In actual fact they, that is her and husband who were not of the people gave this City quite a few things out of their own pockets.

I'm not Jeremy's biggest fan as I've said a number of times but this anti jew stuff gets my goat a bit. Corbyn for good or ill does not like the way the Palestinians have been treated. This is by Israel and therefore if anything he is anti Israel. A Jew is a member of a religion and not a nation. He does not have to agree with a member of the Jewish faith who supports Israels dealings with the Palestinian people. That is not being racist. The Chief Rabbi like all religious leaders should shut up at election time and not come out with the opinion of a politician that this one did. I would say the same if it was the Arch Bishop of Canterbury. I haven't heard the Chief Iman comment about Johnson and his letterbox jibes.

19. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Sonny Bradley and Luton lost 7-0 at Brentford today (Nov 30th).....one spot above the relegation zone....things not going well there by the look of it.

20. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

HARWICH claim the Mayflower.

Essex is launching an attempt to re-claim the history of the Mayflower and attract American tourists by opening the captain's house to the public.

The Mayflower landed in the New World in 1620 having left Plymouth Devon, with the Pilgrim Fathers on board, but the ship was registered in Harwich. Essex. where Christopher Jones, the man who led the journey, was born. The voyage is commonly associated with Plymouth after its landing site in the US was named Plymouth Rock, and later developed into the town of Plymouth, Massachusetts.

But David Whittle, the vice-chairman of the Harwich Society history group, said "people in America don't know about Harwich" and that visitors were "absolutely astounded" when told. The ship had only stopped in Plymouth by chance after an accompanying vessel sprang a leak, he said.

Now, Tendring district council, which administers Harwich, wants to "re-cement" its links with the Mayflower to mark the 400th anniversary.

The authority has restored the house where Jones lived before his death in 1622, and it will open next year. Mike Carran, the council's head of sport and leisure, said " If Harwich has been lost out of the story to some degree in the US, this is the opportunity to re-cement those links."

The Mayflower arrived in the US in November 1620. The first person ashore was John Alden, a cooper from Harwich whose descendants are said to include Marilyn Monroe and Dick Van Dyke.

A new visitors centre is being created in Harwich and images were projected on to Captain Jones's house yesterday as part of a Mayflower 400 event called Illuminate, Involving locations connected to the voyage.

More than 30 million people can trace their ancestry to the 102 passengers and about 30 crew of the ship, according to the Mayflower 400 website.

Earlier this year, Plymouth faced another rival claim after John Chapman, a retired poliseman, suggested the journey began from Newlyn in Cornwall.

Daily Telegraph...Saturday...30-11-2019.

ALSO......

Posters for ferries used to proclaim, "Harwich for the Continent", But Harwich has a claim on a whole new continent, for a ship registered here took the Pilgrim Fathers to their colony at Plymouth on the New England coast. Harwich-folk proudly show off the house of Christopher Jones, Mayflowers captain, and declare that Plymouth (Massachusetts) should have been called Harwich. After all, most of the Puritan separatists came from the East of England and went to Holland for a bit. like the travellers in the LNER ferries displayed on the poster. Mayflower only put in on the Devon coast because her sister ship Speedwell (a veteran of Armada days) sprang a leak. Mayflower's captain returned and is buried in Rotherhithe. where the Mayflower pub shows off the ship's mooring place. For pilgrims from America, Harwich has a rival.

Daily Telegraph..Editorial Comment...Saturday...30-11-2019.

Oh dear.....do we need to re-names the Mayflower Grandstand.....and call ourselves something other than Pilgrims ?