1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Other Stuff (anything you want to share)

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Jun 19, 2016.

1. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Errr I believe the Boston Lincs area (where the group originated), Wapping (where settlers first boarded the Mayflower), Southampton (where the Mayflower was joined by the Speedwell) and Dartmouth (where they undertook repairs before their first attempt to cross the pond, which was halted by bad weather) all have a claim.

Captain Jones was just hired help and returned to the UK with his ship after delivering the settlers, so he's not a Pilgrim.

Yes, I watched a documentary on the voyage recently!

2. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I believe they also stopped at our local McDonald's on the way west as well....but I can't confirm that.......:rolleyes:.

3. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Several topics in one posts just for economy and good measure.

First one was Mr Neil's chastisement of Boris this for not turning up to be questioned on the Beeb. Scathing words and I think it will have an effect of Boris's standing. Neil was more or less goading Boris that he is perceived as a liar. Not wrong in my view but was surprised to hear a Beeb person saying it even in a round about way.

Second topic is Macclesfield. I read that the EFL are threatening to punish then if they don't turn up for their match with Crewe this Saturday. Points deduction for failing to carry out their obligations to play all fixtures? Nope. Will be kicked out of the league? Nope. Will impose a financial penalty against them for compensation for lost revenue to the team they should have played? Yep. So lets fine a club with no money at all who cannot even pay their wages. Priceless. No bollox to do what they really should.

Third one is you should all go and look on the Premiership Board. There is a thread at the bottom of the page about Prince Andrew. On page 24 somebody has put a picture of Queenie and Prince Charlie presumably taken from the Queen's speech opening parliament recently. You have to read the caption on it it's priceless. I laughed out loud literally.

4. notDistantGreen

Johnson may bluster his way through a televised debate with other leaders in which the TV company is petrified of accusations of bias but Andrew Neil would rip him to shreds one-on-one.

5. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Two things I noted today on the Election trail apart from Boris being his usual inept self. The first one being the possible scrapping of the TV licence and there is me wondering if this is not connected to the dissing of Boris by Andrew Neil and Boris throwing his toys right out of the pram. Scrapping the licence is tantamount to scrapping the Beeb. Would Boris be that petty?

The second thing is I have noticed how many political bits of paper I and her good self have been receiving through our letterbox. Normally we are lucky if we get one between us from all the parties combined. However this time we seem to have been targeted by people who are hell bent on filling our recycling bin all by themselves. I have had one from the Greens, one from the Lib Dems and even one from Brexit man. However following a couple from Labour I have had something like double figures in letters and brochures from Tories.At times there has been one each of the same letter in separate envelopes and posted. This leads me to wonder about how much the Tories have spent on this election and whether it is within the budget allowed by the rules. To print and send so many and I assume most people have had the same things, it must have cost a bomb.

I wasn't going to mention it but find myself having to. There is a third which was Boris and the Reporter with childgate and the NHS. How anyone could want him as our PM I truly fail to understand. Brexit apart the man is a complete and utter **** and he has no idea how to respond to anything sensitive. All he ever does is trot out the same "we are creating 50000 more nurses and spending squillion billion pounds more on the NHS". Factually they aren't but that hasn't stopped him spewing it out every time somebody mentions a hospital. Oh and we will be building 50 more hospitals, which they won't.

6. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

An election ?....if I had no radio/tv/internet I would hardly know that there was an election on Thursday......certainly no door knocking around here.....and I know the postman is still delivering...because someone is still putting bills/Christmas cards/advertising through my letter box.

Just ONE piece of election info through my door so far.....telling us who is replacing Jo Johnson as the Tory candidate, protecting a 18,000 majority.....he is a Bexley Councillor and London Assembly man.....never heard of him.

Just four standing here....Tory/LibDem/Labour/Green......the Labour and Green candidates will be happy not to lose their deposits....that's the level of success they can expect.....which means I've no one to vote for because of Brexits policy of not standing against a Tory held seat.

What I need to do is make sure that Jo Swinton gets no chance of winning here.....it seems everything she believed in between 2010/15 has been thrown out of the window.....the feel of power through a coalition government seems to warp your brain it seems.

So because I believe that if you don't vote you can't complain....I need to vote against her.....none of these parties have anything that resembles a leader but I shall take a strong pain killer first then go out and vote TORY.

7. notDistantGreen

Similarly bombarded by leaflets here and in the case of Luke Pollard, personally addressed letters to my better half and my non voting 17yo daughter. Creepy.

Nobody has knocked the door. A shame because I'd have likes to explain to the Conservatives why I, who voted for them every time since I was 20-ish, will be voting Lib Dem as I did in 2017. Shouldn't take long, one word, beginning with "B".

This new thing with the BBC is another reason not to vote Conservative. As you say Sensible, it looks personal owing Johnson's inability to avoid condemning himself in anything like a serious interview but it's also a straw in the wind in what we'll get from the new ERG-Conservative party. Bend the knee to Trump's America in every thing we do. At least the BBC does most things right.... which, having had another incompetent display from the NHS in the last couple of weeks is more than can be said for that shambolic money pit. Two visits totaling 8 hours to get a simple X-Ray on an issue which was neither an Accident nor an Emergency. Why can't GP's send a patient direct to an X-Ray department for a fixed time appointment rather than dragging an already over-stretched A&E into it? Seems that's too simple for the NHS.

8. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

Total Bollocks, had endless amounts crap through the door, Johny mercer people knocking the doors. I dont have time for any of these clowns. I will vote as i feel i have had my say. But who even gets in it will be a mess still.

As for The NHS ,, well what more can i say. i have an ongoing case with them so cant say much, as for the GPs not helping, i went with a knee issue and end up paying at Nuffied to have a MRI as they refused to do it .. i wanted it for peace of mibe and to find the underlying issue,so i pay my taxes ect and get no returns, so im with you Not distant its a Shambolic waste of money and the people on the front line are not to blame

9. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I have to say there was a time when I had respect for some MPs. I say some because it has never been all of them and that would be far too much to expect anyway. But, these days I find I have no trust in or respect for any of them. That's from the top down sadly. You cannot trust a word they come out with and the old joke about "their lips were moving" is no longer a joke but factual.

I was reading a thread on the Prem site about Politics and the discussion was about the photo of the boy in the paper and Boris reacting so poorly to it all. The suggestion then emerges that the photo is a set up and it was taken by a journalist and the mother sent it off. The story was that a person had a good friend who was a senior nurse at the hospital who had said it was all staged and none of it was true. Other media posts then started to emerge to suggest it was true and the parent was basically a liar trying to set up Boris and the Tories. Almost immediately a load jump on the bandwagon and believe this version and the tweets etc got a shed load of hits. After investigation the Beeb say that the tweets were fake news and the owner of the account did not post the senior nurse story herself. In a sense she was duped into it appearing on her account. Now, you have to ask who has set her up like that? As soon as Boris is in trouble the hidden hit squad goes into action and a lie appears. There are now people who believe Boris did nothing wrong and the story was all a lie. The only word I can find to describe all this is criminal. How a party can produce something like this and probably get away with it is just wrong in so many ways. I used to be interested in Politics and listen to a good deal of it. I am so disillusioned now I cannot bring myself to switch any of it on. They spout about people getting involved and exercising rights to vote yet treat the public like this.

10. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Well election day is here....I've always been interested in politics but this one is different.....not so much voting for your candidate this time but voting to stop someone else from winning will be my approach....and maybe many others approach as well.

Johnson, Corbyn & Swinton to be PM....what a choice....ok illusions of grandeur maybe over Swintons' wishes which she herself has downgraded after a rush of blood to the head in the early days.

Jeremy Corbyn entered the Labour leadership race a few years back more as a joke than with serious intentions of ever being voted leader of the party....the man was known for his extreme left wing views...a supporter of Arab causes a friend of the IRA and any other anti establishment views even to the extremes in S America....he would never become leader.....but a void appeared and the rest is history.....and with the help of Momentum the party has staggered further to the left and become unelectable.....but hold on we've got.....

Boris Johnson another person who stepped into the void created by Theresa May and her appalling remainers version of Brexit....who saw his destiny as being PM whatever it took...sitting on the fence before the Referendum deciding which option would suit his PM desires best and eventually deciding on out suited his schemes the best......and yes he eventually got to the promised land and became PM.

So I find myself in a dilemma.....having been deprived in a Tory held seat of voting for the Brexit Party (later to become The Reform Party) and now having the choice of voting Tory or Labour....or just going back to bed and not voting at all. The opposition here will be Lib/Dems so they need stopping at all costs....their views would literally send this country into civil war and disregard the decision of 17.4 million voters to leave the United States of Europe.

I shall probably wait until it's dark and sneak around the corner and do my patriotic duty and vote with the help of a couple of pain killers.

The one bright spot could be the Tory Party winning and advancing leaving the EU option in January....and Boris Johnson losing his seat and sneaking out of 10 Downing Street with his floozy in tow.

11. notDistantGreen

Swinton explained in a TV interview that at the outset, their polling suggested a very large move in favour of the Lib Dems as Remain voters abandoned both of the main parties. However, the extreme Labour manifesto, the rampant anti-semitism within the party and the threat it holds for UK security have increased the tendency for tactical voting of all kinds to the detriment of the Lib Dems.

If it wasn't for the failure of Labour to offer a reasonable middle of the road alternative, I might even be voting Labour myself, that is if it was still Blairite and opposed the appalling economic disaster Brexit is going down on our heads.

You will of course have noticed that Trump is in the process of destroying the WTO by vetoing all appointments of judges to the WTO trade court, What a stupid time to leaving the EU to get caught totally unprotected between the juggernauts of the USA and China. Talk about lunatics in charge of the asylum......

So I'm voting for a hung Parliament in the best way I can. Hopefully we can wallow about aimlessly for another couple of years until Brexit voters have got so bored with it that it just dies a death. Shockingly, that really is the best outcome available.

12. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

So far today we have had 2 phone calls and 3 people actually knocking on the door. I have now put up a barricade and loaded the shotgun.

13. notDistantGreen

Just to confirm the point about Swinson, here's the evidence she wasn't being entirely naive:

upload_2019-12-12_16-3-59.png

Through the summer and early autumn, the Lib Dems were polling close to 20% and not that far behind Labour. In coalition with the Scots, the Welsh and the Greens (if any) and with Labour splitting after a disaster of a result, it wasn't inconceivable that she might have led a Government of National Unity. Since then, things have polarised and the Lib Dems are left "only" with about twice the support they had at the last election.

14. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

No new leaflets and certainly no visitors here.....voted 3.30 pm.....place was empty....had six booths to myself.....the weather has been diabolical all day... blustery. wet, cold and dingy....not a good day to get the voters out.

Might be the end of Corbyn if he loses two elections in a row.......we can just hope that happens if the Tories get a majority.

15. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

How the Lib/Dems have imploded since their party Conference.....and how their Leader Jo Swinson is now just another housewife bringing up her children and probably needing a part time job to fill up her spare time....it is hard not to feel smug about this women who when she became PM was going to revoke Brexit on the first day in power.

16. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Further to the story above....and proving what a small world we live in.

Yesterday (Sat 14th) we went for are usual walk at High Elms Country Park.....we generally poke our noses into the Bromley Environmental Education Centre next to the Cafe as we go by.....and have a chat with the man on duty on Saturdays who has now become a casual friend.....He hasn't been around in recent weeks so we thought that his shift pattern had changed.

Bur yesterday he was their....and I said...."haven't seen you for awhile"....he replied that he had been off work and had spent a week in hospital.... after being a casualty in the Orpington Bus Crash (that are grandson had been involved in as well)......He had sustained two broken ribs....a broken forearm needing two plates inserted.....hearing damage (which has now recovered) a crack to one of his hip bones...and a loss of memory between getting on the bus and coming around laying in the road with paramedics working on him...probably about 30 minutes or so......plus all the flashing lights from police and ambulance vehicles around him.

This chap is about fifty and was with his sister at the time... who he lives with ....and she received some nasty cuts and bruising but is ok now.

They were on the other bus to my grandson.....as I said to start with.....It's a small world that we live in.

17. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

He lives in your neck of the woods plym so it's not that small a world is it. Think of all the Compo he will get and may even be able to retire early. I wonder how many of the people treating the wounded were not of English origin? Got their uses some of them. I took pleasure in reminding my brother in law a while back that the surgeon who saved his wife's life this year was Asian. You know the sort, one of those foreigners who he voted to keep out. Apparently those kind are alright to be here. Selective racism then so thats ok.

I think your comments about Swinson are totally patronising by the way. Is that all women are fit for? Being a housewife and looking after kids. You should stand for Parliament plym you would fit right in.

18. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

More about the womans judgement of events sensible.....talking of leading the country and not first doing the basics of defending her own seat. Clearly an SNP target seat yet she didn't do the necessary door knocking at home to show her constituents enough respect.

19. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

And at the same time we can chain her to the kitchen sink. Whatever she did election wise that was wrong in your eyes it is still patronising to suggest she can "go back to being a housewife and looke after her kids". You sound like the dinosaur people think older folk are already.

20. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

We need all the people coming in as the NHS would be in a worse state. The team that saved my son were indian and sri lanka, lots respect for them also.

Come here to work and work hard not just Drs but all of them, we have enough people in this country of our own who do nothing and draw alot of welfare.

Keep them coming in please..