1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Other Stuff (anything you want to share)

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

notDistant.......your negativity must be quite depressing for you.....cheer up.....the UK is the only country in Europe that can make a clean break from the EU project that started as a trading venture and turned into Maastricht and the birth of the EU as a political state in 1993.....and that gave birth to UKIP and the long fight to get the UK free of the monster that is developing.....Greece must wish that they could of done it...now they are beholden to German hand outs and their hate of Germany from the second World War is deeper than ever.

2. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

"Their hate of Germany from the second World War".

Jesus Christ almighty. It finished 75 years ago so for feck sake stop using it as an excuse and move on. Don't know about you lot but those bleddy Vikings have got a lot to answer for.............

3. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

One of my Mothers sisters in Plymouth..... until the day she died hated the Japanese.....having waved goodbye to her husband with their son... as they sailed from Singapore on the last ship.....as it was over-run by the Japs....never to see him again or even know how he died or where he is buried.

I remember seeing hillside shrines still tended in the old Yugoslavia and Greece for patriots killed by the Nazis... when we were on holiday in those countries....remind them it was 75 years ago.

All comparisons sensible.

4. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

We tend war graves and no problem with that but to carry on hating a race of people who had little or nothing to do with what went on a lifetime plus ago is just ridiculous. Almost every country in the World have people dead from wars or fights in history, and that is exactly what WW2 is and if everyone just continued to hate because of history then what kind of people or planet are we. It makes no sense, You weren't in the war, I wasn't in the war and anyone in my family that was is pretty much dead themselves now. If your attitude towards it is reflected across the continent then no wonder the right wing fascist types are rising once again. Never mind though we can always have a WW3 to keep people like your Mother's sister happy. Lets send another generation to the slaughter. Sorry Plym but your view on this is just Nationalistic bollox.

5. mustyfrog

mustyfrog Well-Known Member

hmmm after that serious stuff, I have found a programme amongst the ones I have, Swansea v Plymouth, 17 Apr 65. Argyle side was Dwyer, Book, Piper, Newman, Baird, Williams, Jones, Trebilcock, Sanderson, Jackson, Neale. No clue as to the result. If anyone on here collects them it is yours.

6. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

All things about Argyle web sight...GreensonScreen....gives you everything you need to know about every Plymouth game played.

Swansea...3-0...Plymouth A....was the result of that game.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
    mustyfrog likes this.
  7. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

It was THEIR views that I was referring to sensible not mine....I would never dream of telling such people to lighten up over what has effected their lives and their countries....just respect for the suffering they have endured....and thankful that I haven't had to go through such experiences myself.

8. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

The time to leave Plym would have been when this further federalization that you fear was actually going to happen. There's precious little chance of it at present with the Scandinavian and Central European countries likely to oppose it, along with the UK, had we remained.

Coming out now is cutting our own throats economically for reasons of populism, nationalism, racism, xenophobia, and an idea we can recreate the past glories of the Empire, all leavened with pure greed by the few shady financiers who do expect to make dirty money out of it.

It's a bit rich quoting WW2, not only did it start 80 years ago but the EU was conceived as body ensuring that the European conflicts which cost almost 100m lives between 1914 and 1945 would not be repeated. WW2 was started by not by the population at large but the Nazis, based on populism, nationalism, racism, xenophobia, and a desire to recreate past glories. Funny that isn't it?

9. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Ref para 3 Amen to that notdistant. I get sick to death of people bring up "The War". It is history and long ago and no matter what people endured on an individual basis they need to have moved on and get with it today not yesteryear. I don't care what one individual thinks it is the collective that should matter and some of the folks today living off the back of whatever happened is just ridiculous. They know nothing of the reality of any of it. But, it's why people like Tony Robinson and the far right mob exist. Stupid people who beleive anything they are told no matter how far back in time it is. I mean what on earth did the Roman's do for us. History is history and it should be left there.

10. notDistantGreen

Tommy Robinson Sensible, not Tony, Tony Robinson is, errr, Baldrick in Black Adder and a well known Labour supporter,

As somebody Tweeted, you get fed up with people saying we can manage with anything Brexit brings because we managed during the War who weren't actually there during the War,

Tory MP Mark Francois is a fine example of a Brexiteer constantly bringing up WW2. Not born until 1965 you do wonder what he knows about it and the likes of his mother, an Italian au pair, certainly won't be getting into the country when Mr. Francois has got his new post-Brexit immigration policy.

A world without Mark Francois, just imagine: I suppose there may be some upside to it after all.

11. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Thanks for the reminder ref name notdistant but I think it must have been a Freudian slip. Lets face it they all have the I.Q. of Baldrick. You are right I meant Tommy.

I heard a comment the other day on a News programme from somebody who actually fought in the WW2. He said that if it hadn't been for his comrades we would "all be speaking German now". Even though he was there that sort of comment is total bollox. There might have been a lot of different things about had the war been lost but a new language would not be one of them. The way however to win an argument on Europe is to bring up the war, mention "the Germans" and scare monger they will march across our borders. Total complete bullshit all of it the same as a belief that somebody should hate a nation for it's historical dealings. Lets face it this Country has killed more people around the World in it's history that any other that exists. We did not have an Empire of more than half the globe by being invited in and playing nice.

12. notDistantGreen

I have the utmost respect for those who were there and they saved millions more from a fate worse than death: seeing your family killed. However, that was 80 years ago and this is now.

This was seen pinned to the door in a block of flats over the Brexit weekend. You know my thoughts but who now thinks racism ISN'T behind Brexit? Sickening.

upload_2020-2-2_11-29-13.png

13. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Not signed of course....so could be a remainer stirring up trouble.....and there's a lot of that going on at the moment.....the country will never be united with this sort of thing going on.

14. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Could have been the Germans wot dun it. Denial incidentally was what led to WW2 lest anyone forgets. Cover your eyes, stick fingers in your ears and repeat the words "it's not true It's not true" There you go that should do it nothing to see here.

15. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I've just watched a video of a penalty decision given in a Women's match Reading v Man U this weekend. The Referee could easily get a game to oversee in League 2 as she is bad enough. It is quite blatantly obvious that the Man U defender heads the ball out of play following a free kick into their penalty area. When I say blatantly obvious it really couldn't be more so. The Ref matches into the area and books the player, presumably for deliberate handball , which should be red anyway, and points to the penalty spot. Not one Reading player had appealed or shown any interest in getting the penalty so they quite clearly and obviously knew it was a header as well. Up steps the Reading player and puts the ball in the top corner for a 1 - 1 scoreline. Now this raises a second point. If the Reading players knew clearly that the Ref was wrong how could they ignore that and just score anyway? Is that the worst blatant cheating that there is even worse maybe than diving. I could not have taken that penalty if it were me and if I had been made to I would have rolled it to the keeper and definitely would not had made any attempt to score. It's on the beeb football site. Have a look and tell me if you think Reading should be totally ashamed of themselves.

16. notDistantGreen

I'm afraid the concept of sportsmanship has disappeared, or close to it.

I watched the Spurs-Man City game on Sunday and lively it was too. The keynote incident occurred when Aguero went down in the Spurs box when in close contact with the Spurs RB Aurier. As Aguero was running away from goal and had every incentive to go down, the ref's decision to play on looked reasonable, and play on we did for, over 2 minutes. When the ball did finally go out of play, a VAR review showed it WAS a penalty. What would have happened if either side had scored in that 2 minutes plus? No idea.

Loris saved the penalty but fumbled the ball out towards the corner flag. Sterling chased it but Loris got close enough dive at his feet and Sterling goes down. Referee gives a second penalty. VAR review, NO penalty and in slo-mo you can see that Sterling starts to fold his legs up under him the instant before Loris arrives and in fact, Loris pulls his hands away at the last minute as by then it's evident the ball is going out for a corner at worst. Sterling, already on a yellow for an earlier bad tackle isn't booked for a dive. What was it then?

Now, personally I can just about give Sterling credit for merely getting his multi-million pound legs out of the way of what looks like an imminent heavy clattering from the keeper. However, if that is what he did, a sportsman would have said as much to the ref, but no.

17. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

Sterling should have gone for the tackle on Ali... Not a nice tackle and Ali struggled all game,
    Well i was very pleased at the end Result, City are an aggressive side, which i dont mind but they seem to get away with a lot ..

Got their just reward.. lovely ..

18. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Watched the video regarding the Reading Womens penalty saga.....how can all three officials ... between them see that it was headed.....three different angles and hand ball is given....there would have been more protesting if it was a men's match.....how can the "offending" player not get more upset about the decision and throw a serious wobbly over the ref's conclusion.

Good penalty shot by the Reading player.

19. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Watched the stamp by the Celtic player against Hamilton this weekend. It was so obvious the Ref at a different ground could have seen it. Ref gave nothing. The Scottish FA having looked at it have decided no retro action against the Celtic man. Celtic manager said there was "no malice" in the challenge. It was a nasty blatant stamp on a player on the floor and was done coldly and blatantly. If it had been any other team but Celtic would the Scots FA have come up with the same blindfold decision? I doubt it.

20. notDistantGreen

It seems standing areas (of sorts) are on the way back. It's believed that rather than being dangerous like the old style terraces, these are safer in areas where conventional seats are installed but fans insist on standing anyway. I can believe that, as at Home Park, although it's not particularly steeply raked, the seat in front only comes up to about your knee when standing.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51457337

Some fans that are proud to describe themselves as Louts have the idea that the 3 zones adjacent to the changing room exit should be given over to standing for home fans so that abuse can be hurled at opposition players and the officials from both sides as they enter and leave the pitch and they can be close to the away fans. That doesn't sound ideal to me and I hope it doesn't to the club

At least if this does happen where is belongs (i.e. the Devonport End), perhaps I can go back to standing up when the Devonport End sing "Stand Up If You Love The Greens". At the moment that's not possible as I know full well it's intended as no more than part of the long running battle between the Louts and the club regarding the right to stand where they want, when they want, safety regulations and the comfort of other fans notwithstanding (not a pun).

I don't think these people understand that Safe Standing doesn't mean a return to open terraces. Places will be sold on a numbered ticket basis and fans will be expected to sit or stand in the place they paid for. I see trouble ahead..........