1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Other Stuff (anything you want to share)

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Jun 19, 2016.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Lets be frank about this. The crowds are wrong to do what they are doing. I heard Boris say on the news that people were being basically silly to ignore the lock down rules. That statement is the height of hypocrisy coming from him. He is the one who said his Aid did nothing wrong by travelling 250 miles and doing a 60 miles round trip eye test. Nothing to see here move along the story is closed. Now his Housing Minister is being proved to be a liar and Boris just says nothing to see here story closed move along. Well he is setting the example of ignoring what is right and telling everyone no wrongs have been done. He cannot expect other mere mortals to toe the line and not say exactly the same. Oh did I do wrong? Oh ok then all forgiven move along story over. Lying is obviously the new normal and permitted no matter what. He has built his entire rise to the top of the tree on lies so I for one would not accept any chastisement from him. Obviously anything goes.

2. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

LOCKDOWN.

I make today the 96th day of lockdown.....we have taken lockdown seriously....literally to the letter of the law.

Our son and daughter both live locally and have made sure that we stayed in our home regarding shopping and any other requirements we needed in those early months.

We have now and again gone for walks.....and to be honest not as many as we probably need to keep our levels of fitness up.

We tried a bit of online shopping and it worked to a point....and even then they miss various items on your pick list....so not perfect.

In the last fortnight we've actually done two manual shops....and found it worked well....no queues and certainly no overcrowding in the store....surprised how laid back they were....no masks required....no sanitizing of trolley handles....the only difference was a perspex screen at the check out...and the cashier would wipe the screen down after every customer....we did wear face coverings....(Waitrose)

Also one trip to the garden centre....they were organized in the car park...orderly queuing (2m gapping)....sanitizing of the trolley handle before you touched it...and a one way system around the indoor section...but plenty of space and freedom outside.

When allowed by the government we met our son and his family in our garden...they did not walk through the bungalow ...or of course use the toilet and they brought their own drinks with them and we sat the appropriate distance apart....and then we did not touch their chairs or put them away for three days later.....at a later date we did the same with our daughters family.... but obviously we did have little chats with them when shopping was delivered.

Some people will obviously say that we were rather pedantic about it all....okay they might be right....our son and daughter would not of wanted it any other way....we are 81 and nearly 78 and even though we're reasonably fit for our age we have seen how Covid-19 reaps disaster amongst the elderly.

So after the "look how good we've been smugness".... we come on to those who can't take anymore and try and wreck three months of the nations lockdown in the scenes we've seen at Bournemouth and many other places....plus the "Black Lives Matter" and statue toppling brigades....obviously many had good intentions...but others used it as a vehicle to do their own thing.....I still find it difficult to behold the scenes at Churchill's Statue in Whitehall...being guarded by a mob of knuckle dragging right wing national front style hooligans...who were looking forward to a punch up with anyone who didn't support their views...especially if they were black or in a police uniform.

You think you've seen it and heard it all....and then up pops the Archbishop of Canterbury worried about if he's got any statues of Jesus in the Cathedral that depicts him as a white man....<doh>......the whole attitude about "Black Lives Matter" hasn't anything to do about statues etc....none of that will make one iota of difference and will never change BAME peoples situation in the UK, USA or the EU.....we just need to have equality and the best person for the job attitude and that is not just a white realignment of how life should be but a BAME attitude as well....it's not just white people who are racist....but at times it feels so with political correctness demanding it's pound of flesh all the time.

3. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Not often we agree on politics Plym but we do on this. Nearly everyone and everything was tainted by slavery and oppression back in the 17th and 18th century, directly or indirectly, and quite a lot of the oppression was rich white on poor white or Christian religion A on Christian religion B too. We need to learn from it and not repeat it but we can't change history now. Latest complaint according to today's paper is of celebrity chefs not properly attributing their recipes to their original ethnic sources. Talk about First World Problems...............

Anyway, what I wanted to say is that there's a headline in the paper: "Fears of disorder when pubs reopen". No, really?

4. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Must also remember that it was fellow blacks who rounded up their own kind for the slave traders to take to the new world....so tainted Africans making dosh out of the slave trade as well.....have these African countries asked forgiveness of their own people for what they did.

5. notDistantGreen

6. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Further to the Archbishop's panic....you'll find that African countries see Jesus as an African.....China as a Chinaman....Japan as a Japanese and believe it or not Israel see him as a Jew...<yikes>....that's how paintings are.

I think the Archbishop should be more concerned about the foundations of his Anglican Church....that started because Henry VIII couldn't get the Pope to allow him a divorce.....the answer.....start your own church....now that seems to be based on spiritual awareness....I don't think.

7. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Crowd trouble at Elland Road believe it or not......a gust of wind blew over hundreds of cardboard fan cut-outs.....a steward spent ages trying to stand them up....but to no avail....the wind kept blowing them down again....steward has to give in and walk away.

I expect Millwall is another club who could get crowd trouble in an empty ground.

8. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

My son and grandson are happy bunnies at the moment....6pts from two 1-0 wins.

Disappointing for me because it could mean no Argyle trip to the Valley this coming season....with Charlton now up to 17th place on 45pts.

9. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Don't be stupid plym there is no standing in football grounds. Everyone knows that.

10. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Okay...okay....sitting down then.....oh hold on a minute.....there Leeds fans....they'd be standing up anyway.....:emoticon-0173-middl.

11. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

At last i'm able to go to the cottage, there at the front door was a black Bear.
    I drove at him and gave him a blast of the horn.
    He then ran off.
    So then with my walking stick i made a dash for the front door.
    I think the Bear didn't like me driving a Ford.

12. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Black Bear's lives matter BC. Haven't you been watching the news? If you aren't careful you will have flying pickets at your cottage. If they turn up just pretend you're a statue and you will be fine honest...........

13. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

Ah yes i see your point.... we don't have any white Bears.

14. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Now that's not politically correct.....you must have white/brown/black bears....someone will tell on you.

15. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

So we're being told now that lockdown is bad for your health.....and we were thinking that lockdown was helping us to stay alive....which for goodness sake is right ?

Article in today's paper says......

Prolonged periods of lockdown that cocoon the public from germs could leave people vulnerable to new viruses, a leading epidemiologist has warned.

Sunetra Gupta, professor of theoretical epidemiology at the University of Oxford, said she feared intense social distancing could actually weaken immune systems because people are not exposed to germs and so do not develop defences that could protect them against future pandemics.

Article continues......Sunday Telegraph...28/06/2020.

My thoughts.....I think that is spot on.....going back to my childhood in the 1940/50's I can remember going out from dawn to dusk playing with other kids getting all dirty and messy and just popping home for a meal and off again.....I'm not saying that we didn't catch mumps and measles etc....but we were I think tougher than todays kids....who live in double glazed over heated homes and play in immaculately clean homes and tidy gardens.

Central heating didn't exist for the average family in those days and heated bedrooms were unknown....you would disappear beneath the blankets during the winter months...,.and in the morning quite often you would scrape the frost off the inside of your window to look out on the world.....I can remember some winters seeing icicles hanging down from the gutter up to two feet long....1947 I do believe was such a winter....but I don't remember having sniffling colds like some kids get today at just the site of a cold trip to school by car....cars were unheard of for a school run...you walked....I do remember coming home from Aden after National Service just in time for the winter of 1962/63 to face three solid months of below freezing temperatures and snow that just laid rutted like tramlines in the road for months and I was over 23yrs old by then and we still had frozen windows and icicles hanging down.

I've always believed a bit of dirt and mud helped you build up your defences against illnesses.....so what this professor is saying about us being locked indoors for long periods doesn't help us to build up an immune system I think is dead right.....so are we all "doomed Mr Mainwaring" comes to mind if another pandemic arrives in the next year or so.

16. notDistantGreen

I've been looking at those cardboard cutout fans, including the one of Ryan Lowe wearing an Exeter scarf at their home play-off tie.

I've been very tempted to submit an application to some club using a picture of Lord Lucan. Think I could get that on screen?

17. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Maybe sneak in Hitler,Stalin & a few others as well.....but leave all statues alone please.

18. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Man City leading Newcastle 1-0 H/T.....with 82% possession....it shouldn't be allowed.....Steve Bruce should be allowed to throw in the towel...so we can all do something more constructive..... like watch paint dry.

19. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I tried to watch it but once again gave up at half time.

20. notDistantGreen

At the best of times, there's a lot of PL football on TV but now they're showing every single game there's a lot of dross out there. Even I can't excited by Watford v Bournemouth or whatever. With the crowds missing too, it really doesn't hold your attention.

By comparison, I cant wait to see Argyle again.......