1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Other Stuff (anything you want to share)

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Jun 19, 2016.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Exeter two down and a man down after 76 minutes so it looks like that isn't next boxing day's fixture.

2. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Exeter 0 - 4 Northampton. At least their supporters were spared a couple hundred in expenses to go to Wembley. Wish we had been a few years back.

3. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Interesting that Northampton got promoted from 7th position.......just what Wimbledon did a few years back....:emoticon-0138-think.

4. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

That's why I don't go much on play offs. This season it wasn't but normally it is best of 46 games should decide it not a lottery. Northampton situation is by no means unique. We lost out some years back to I think Burnley who were something like 15 points below us in the league. We were drawing after the first leg away and lost 1 - 3 at home on a very disappointing night. They ended up being promoted.

5. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

What seems like only yesterday, I suffered the grief of my club letting themselves down in a Wembley playoff and losing out on promotion as a result. Having been thouhh it, I can only say HAHAHA HAHA HAHAHA.

Not my words but I cant help repeating them.

6. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

.....AND SO IT GOES ON........

1.....The future of the statue of a Roman emperor outside York Minster is being "looked at" after .......complaints.
    .......Emperor Constantine declared an end to the persecution of Christians....but also supported slavery

2.....The Charles Dickens Museum has become the latest target of this year's anti-racism movement .......after a former local councillor daubed the building with graffiti .......calling the author a racist.
    .......Ian Driver targeted the museum in Broadstairs, Kent, late on Saturday night, scrawling the words, ......."Dickens Racist" on the Victorian cottage that now welcomes .......hundreds of visitors a year to .......celebrate the author's life and works.
    .......Mr Driver also defaced a nearby street sign, spraying black paint over the lettering of "Dickens .......Road".

Two seperate articles in todays.....Daily Telegraph...30/06/2020.

My thoughts.....Constantine ended the persecution of Christians in 313AD....Edict of Milan.
    At the time the Roman workforce were nearly all slaves...conquered in battle.....so we're going back in this case 1700 years and longer for other Roman Emperors.

So do we erase every person in history whatever good things that they have done because there is a moment in their lives were slavery is mentioned.

Why don't we go back to Adam and Eve....neither are shown as black...so that must be a problem in today's politically correct world.....God obviously got it wrong....does that make him a racist.....and where does that leave the serpent and the apple....life is getting too complicated for me.....for goodness sake let's get the footie started.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  7. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Having checked the weather forecast when I got up and found it said less than 5 to 10% chance of rain today...I did a load of washing and got it out on the line by 8.30am in the sun....just looked out the window (10.30am) and it's raining.....checked the forecast again and it is now saying 40 to 60% chance of rain until early afternoon.....does that mean they've bothered to look out the window and noticed it's wet or..... found their bit of seaweed in the back of the draw where the keep their multi-million pound computer manuals.....for what they're worth.....<doh>.

8. notDistantGreen

Wigan Athletic, once, under Dave Whelan, a paragon of football success achieved alongside financial sobriety, have gone into administration, blaming Covid19.

9. notDistantGreen

Incidentally, a Hong Kong company that was to invest in Wigan pulled out citing... damaged economic prospects due to Brexit.

10. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

More like pressure from Beijing....plus the trouble in Hong Kong....but I doubt if you'll agree.

11. notDistantGreen

Plym having had experience of import & export, expat employment, running overseas businesses and buying & selling them, inside & outside the EU, I'm very sure leaving the EU is going to hit British industry hard.

Post Covid, it'll be easy for this government to hide behind that & no doubt it will be a negative influence. It will be worse with Brexit 5han without though, especially with a no deal Brexit which is where we are being taken by Johnson & his extremist crew.

Edelman likes this.
  12. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

That was the case before Coronavirus notdistant. Now the business prospects with a pandemic and brexit it is going to be mayhem. Anyone who cannot see that it was always Johnson's intention to do a no deal exit and that it was going to crunch jobs and the economy in this Country must be totally blind. The more I see of Johnson and his handling of this national crisis the more I despair. This was something I used to think about the Labour Party. At my age now I think my only course of action is to dig my own hole in the ground and climb in.

13. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

With lockdown changes coming into effect this Saturday (4th)....will we suddenly turn into a nation of Lemmings rushing towards the cliff edge....I'll say securely lockdowned at home thank you very much.

Stokenchurch yid likes this.
  14. notDistantGreen

I believe pubs will be able to open at 6 am on Saturday. For the love of God, WHY?

15. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I do believe you'll be able to get an haircut at midnight in some places....I won't bother in the first week or so....I can nearly pigtail my sideburns at the moment....I bet there will be an hiking up of the prices.....Sikhs probably wonder what all the fuss is about.

16. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I had a hair cut today. I did it myself with a bit of help from her who must be obeyed. The same hair cut I've had for the last almost 20 years now. It's easy just get a machine and go for it. The machine cost me £8 when it was bought. I've had around 250 hair cuts with it.

Was following the league one play off games this evening on my computer. Oh dear poor old Joey B. Fancy losing 1 - 4 and two players to Wycombe on a wet and windy Friday evening. Poor old Posh must be tearing hair out as well. Gutted for them both. Hehehe!!!

Stokenchurch yid likes this.
  17. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Just been reading the paper headlines for tomorrow and see that we tax payers are going to fork out £1.5 billion squids for the Arts and theatres. You will be pleased to know that Andrew Lloyd Webber is relieved at the news. Apparently his wealth on the rich list is down a couple of million so he obviously needs our help to get it back up to the £820 million it was. Poor chap is on his last uppers.

18. notDistantGreen

Also, "national treasures" will be the first priority. The Royal Opera House, beloved by the masses (masses of First Division civil servants and the like that is) will be OK then. Meanwhile, the BBC is to axe much of its English local news and sport coverage while it continues to fund entirely separate television operations for Scotland and Wales.

19. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I think what gets me is the famous and very famous get paid rather well. Not in the same ball park as sports people maybe but a damn sight more than the others (that's ordinary folk). They have done exceptionally well out of being famous. Why can't they repay a bit of that by dipping into their own pockets to keep their places of work going. It's a bit like Paul McCartney giving up a couple of hours of his time so that ordinary folk chuck a load of dosh at a charity that he could have supported with a bit of pocket money himself. You might gather that I'm not overly impressed with stars and their charity giving. Black footballers who send out an online message of support for a statue in Plymouth which is being crowd funded. The ones who shout about black matters and could buy 5 statues out of a couple of months pay. If it's such a good idea then why not pay for it. Nah lets let the ones with a lot less do that. I'm sure I'm becoming a Communist in my old age.

20. notDistantGreen

Disgraceful back page article in the Western Morning News (aka Plymouth Herald) yesterday: "Ryan Lowe favourite for Bristol rovers job", constructed entirely around betting odds.

They should be recruiting some of the top journalists from Private Eye e.g. Phillipa Page.