1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Other Stuff (anything you want to share)

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Jun 19, 2016.

1. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

No not that Plym but at least something equivalent to private sector salaries for senior managers - and I don't mean FTSE100 CEO's, that's too much also.

An MP earns around £80k. That should be £100k+. The PM earns £150k. I'd think £250k+? That would still be about a quarter of what a top barrister can earn!

This rubbish about "it's a disgrace, he earns more than the PM" drives me up the wall. Of course they do, the PM's salary is ridiculously low when you consider what you expect from them!

2. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Football is an entertainment business so there is no comparison with politics. You could use a similar argument for a few occupations like a high class prostitute earning more than the PM for example. It doesn't really bear comparison does it.

I think a lot of people would agree you should get the best by paying for it. I also don't care where they were educated either or what their background is. If they are the best you can have then that is the criteria I am looking for. It sort of amuses me and angers me in equal amounts when I hear people talk about corruption in these far off countries, mainly black and asian normally. This is said as if none of this applies to England because we are fair and honest etc. Well this bunch we have now are as corrupt as any African country you could name. It's scandalous that they get away with it with impunity and with not even a blush. Boris is the worst kind for this. He genuinely does think he is untouchable. The saddest part of all is he would probably be re-elected if there was an election right now. The British people or at least 51% of them are getting what they deserve. They believed the idiot and continue to swallow all the bullshit he spouts.

3. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

What a week for things other than Covid to be happening. "Don't worry trawler people we have sorted out the fishing thingy" was what Boris was telling everyone. This week has seen Gunboats from France and the UK squaring up to each other around the Channel Islands. It should be pointed out that this is two NATO countries. I bet old Vlad is sitting in his bed breaking ribs with laughter. Not long ago it was the border with NI. "Nothing will change for NI and the borders will be the same for us all" said Boris. Really and now you have the locals kicking off at the blatant lie they were fed. "The UK economy will grow at it's fastest rate for 70 years" is the headline on the Beeb news page. This is the same economy that shrank due to the pandemic and if you read into it the likelihood is it is only going to go back to it's 2019 state prior to the pandemic kicking off. So we open up the shops and the economy grows. I would never have guessed that would you? It is not a success story at all just a sign that we are open again. It's sold as success but then again that is the story of Boris isn't it. It's all a complete con job. We were lied to at every turn during the pre vote on Brexit and we have been lied to ever since on the method and results of the break. What baffles me most though is that gullible fools swallow it all. How the feck do some people seem to get away with it all.

4. notDistantGreen

And the worst of it is that the true effects of Brexit will forever be cloaked by the economic effects by Covid, so the lunatic fringe have got away with it.

All the bad news will be Covid and all the good Brexit.

Meanwhile, they've won another Red Wall seat in Hartlepool. Those idiots voted 2:1 for Brexit and they've now voted Tory. So yet more Government money will be siphoned off from the Remain areas in the South to protect votes in Brexit seats in the North that actually brought the damage on themselves. There's real corruption for you.

Greenarmyjoe likes this.
  5. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I wake up this morning to despair notdistant.......this has to be just a bad dream doesn't it.

6. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I was listening to a commentator on the TV today who made the comment that nobody believes anything Boris actually says and his fellow MPs don't believe him either. What a sad state of affairs that is and what a miserable indictment that is about people who vote. It seems that honesty doesn't matter to people anymore. Don't they realise that the more licence these people are given to get away with lying the more and bigger lies they will spout. We seem to have become celebrity driven in everything. The political world is being occupied by a load of little grey people with no personality and as Boris is a celebrity everyone knows he gets to do what he likes. I wonder at what point he will get found out. When people have to start to pay for it all maybe and the roof comes tumbling down.

7. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Watched the cup final this evening. An absolute typical final with not a lot of great stuff happening until the goal. What a total screamer that was and if any goal was going to win a game then I think that one justified it. VAR once again did it's best to ruin a party. The thickness of a shirt rules out yet another goal. I suppose it gives Chelsea supporters something to moan about when losing.

8. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Blackpool whupped Oxford tonight in the first leg of the play offs. To think we took 4 points off Blackpool this season and there they are apparently off to Wembley for the final. Can't see Oxford overturning a 3 goal loss at the seaside. Were we that good against them or a Blackpool blip for them?

9. notDistantGreen

I watched the crucial Chelsea v Leicester Premier League game upon which a Champions League place next year may well depend.

It was a microcosm of all that's wrong with football. Chelsea signed striker Timo Werner last year from Leipzig for £48m. So far, he's been an expensive flop with only 6 goals from 38 games. Whether it's his natural instincts or whether it's the added pressure of not being able to produce by normal means, he's a dreadful diver.

There were two notable incidents. The first the referee (Mike Dean) got right but the pundits then lambasted him for. A Leicester defender had possession of the ball in the Leicester penalty box and was swinging his foot to clear. Werner was behind him and put his foot around so that the defender's foot connected with Werner's, not the ball. Both went sprawling and Dean gave a free kick to Leicester, upheld by VAR. Correct decision, defender had the ball, Werner hasn't touched it but has tripped the defender. The commentary team and then pundits can't understand it. Werner is an attacker and therefore if he falls over in the box in a penalty, never mind the fact it was him making the tackle, that he did not have possession of the ball at any stage and that he didn't even touch the ball at any point, it MUST be a penalty. What corrosive nonsense.

The second also involves Werner. He has the ball this time, in the Leicester box but on the edge of it heading out towards the touchline. Now there was the slightest of brushes between his leg and a defender right in the edge of the box. Werner takes another step out of the box and having felt the contact, falls over. Dean gives a penalty, wrong, Werner went down in stages and the contact wasn't enough to bring him down. VAR upholds the penalty. Pundits all applaud the decision. When will these cheats be called out?

Pleasingly all this induced some wonderfully retro tackling and eventually a fracas between players and coaches from both sides. I enjoyed that bit.

By the way, I recorded Blackpool and Oxford too but I won't bother to watch it now!

10. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Whoops sorry for the spoiler notdistant. Not the sort of game I would have expected an Argyle fan to record though. As for VAR and pundits well what do you expect these days. The worst comment of all and one that is too often used is "he was entitled to go down". Not that he was knocked over or anything just plain entitled. You know as well as I do that this is in the game to stay whether we loathe it or not. The one thing not considered yet by defenders though is if you know you are on a hiding to nothing with touches then if you do touch somebody you make sure it is a bloody good touch and he doesn't get up very quickly after it. If you are to be penalised then make it worthwhile. It won't stop the falling about thing but it might make us all feel a bit better watching it.

11. notDistantGreen

It's finally been confirmed that Martin Bashir duped Princess Diana into taking part in the infamous BBC interview by feeding her false evidence of conspiracies against her within the Establisment.

That was disgraceful and Bashir and those that seemed to cover it up should be deeply ashamed of themselves.

Nevertheless, what I find most disgusting of all is the clamour from the tabloid press, who have blood on their hands from many other scandals, and from the Government, to reform the BBC.

Firstly, this occurred 25 years ago and so the question is does the BBC need reform now and not whether it did in the 1990s.

Secondly the Government haven't had the balls to tackle rampant malpractice by the tabloids for fear it might lose them editorial support. Neither have they had the balls to address their own sins, including, but not limited to, the lies told by the Brexit campaign, Jenrick's puzzling dealings with property developers, Johnson's flat refurb, the Chatty Rat leaks, Johnson's "favouritism" towards Jennifer Acuri and his Caribbean holiday.

Forces in the Tory Party would like our news media handed over to the likes of the Murdochs, Fox News and the Barclay brothers. They should put their own house in order before they start throwing stones at glasshouses.

Greenarmyjoe likes this.
  12. notDistantGreen

I had my second vaccination 10 days ago but there is a very big downside to Covid's retreat.

The Eurovision Song Contest is back.

13. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

To be honest I have very little sympathy for pretty much any of the Royal household either now or previously. After the current Queen either dies or gives up I actually believe there is nobody worth their salt to take over. Charles and Camilla would never be anyone I could have any truck with and more recently none of his kids appear any better.

That said I agree it was pretty low of the BBC, I say them rather than single out Bashir. to have gone about getting their scoop the way they did. There is no way on this earth that it was down to Bashir on his own and without people at the very top of the tree aiding and abetting the sorry saga it would not have happened. I agree though. The people throwing stones at the BBC now are at best the same as the thing they are crying out about or even worse. Boris is the last person to be on a quest to sort out the baddies. There have been some bad PMs over the last 25 years and a bit more than dodgy as it turns out but he is way out in front of them all. Newspapers have a cupboard full of skeletons and along side it another one full of scoops on god knows who that they haven't published. Waiting no doubt for a suitable time to gain something else from them. I despair not only at the hypocrisy of all of them but also that people in general find something fascinating about the lives of the famous that they have to read about them all of the time. If they weren't so gullible to buy into it then these papers and TV companies wouldn't have a story worth telling in the first place.

14. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Was listening to the Dominic Cummings appearance in front of the Committee today for a while at least. Boy is he scorned or what. If he is to be believed, and I guess that isn't a gimmee right now, then Boris is rhubarb and his Cabinet is as bad. Now I can actually well believe all of that but I suppose there will be plenty of Boris lovers who won't believe anything if it isn't nice about him. I can well believe that Boris would come out with all of those sorts of statements about letting people die and he would be happy to have a jab of covid on TV. He has a track record for opening his mouth inappropriately. Just ask the woman in jail in Iran who he joked about just before the Iranian Government locked her up on what seems a trumped up charge. Women in Berkas look like bank robbers...........etc. I can also believe his girlfriend or partner whatever you want to call her made a fuss over nothing during a crisis day. She doesn't seem to get it either. What does Boris say at PMQs. Nothing to see here so move along we have more pressing things to sort out. Standard response from the bloke these days when he doesn't want to talk about things. It has worked a couple of times so why change the habit. I really hope though that this time people won't be so gullible and move on.

Also heard the Barrister acting for the 3 police people who got the case thrown out today. He actually said it wasn't their fault it was the drunken rowdy Liverpool fans who caused it all. He was quite scathing about them. Now correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't it already been proved that the crowd were not drunk or fighting to get in. I think that bloke had better stay out of Liverpool from here on.

15. notDistantGreen

Our present political situation just proves scandals and cover-ups like Hillsborough are not a thing of the past.

That said, nobody should believe a word Cummings said about Brexit and given he ran the Leave campaign, that's basically anything pro Brexit at all. He lied about his jaunt to Barnard Castle and there's no reason to believe him now unless he produces evidence.

The triviality of some of it shocks me. Were mistakes made during the pandemic? Of course there bloody well were, we haven't had a situation like this since the 1918 flu pandemic. The question is were they honest mistakes based on incomplete information? Are they mistakes a reasonable person would (or could have) have made in the same circumstances or not? Given any lockdown brought huge economic consequences, I suspect the range of decisions that could be considered "reasonable "is pretty big.

I'm no great fan of this Government but let's be fair. However, if the suggestion in last Sunday's Times that Johnson was too busy finishing his biography of Churchill to attend the early COBRA meetings because he needed the money to finance his divorce is true, then he needs to go, in shame.

16. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I'm not naive enough to just believe any old thing any of these people say. However, despite sounding like the girlfriend who was dumped, I think there is in all probability a good deal of truth in what was said by Cummings. Boris is simply an ego who only remains in politics because he has the top job and thoroughly enjoys the status. How he manages to keep people on his side I frankly have no idea. Maybe that says more about the bunch around him that the man himself. I actually heard a woman on the radio today say that she thought Cummings was an awful person (ok she got that right) but how could he say such things about Boris who was doing such a wonderful job with everything. Genuinely that is what she said. This from a woman whose father had died in a Care Home of Covid.

I absolutely 100% believe that it was policy to get old folk out of hospitals and off their books irrespective of their Covid status and leave it to the Homes to sort out the deaths. I 100% believe they didn't even bother with a cursory test and that they couldn't give a monkeys about staff in the Homes having the equipment to deal with the problems. I 100% believe that Boris would and did make crass remarks about the deaths and really did not think the Pandemic was serious. I 100% believe that they misled and lied about a whole raft of things. Now I accept that mistakes were inevitable. You cannot have something so far reaching without mistakes being made. But you don't lie about it what you do is say mistakes will and have been made and try to reassure that they were doing everything to put them right and sort matters. It's the deceit that I can't forgive not the mistakes. Cummings is absolutely spot on that Boris is not fit for the job and never will be. The problem they have though is that none of the others are fit for it either. The other parties are as bad in that there is no stand out character who can do better either. This has to be one of the weakest periods for Politicians ever.

17. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I see Teflon Boris has struck again. Tell me people, who among you have ever ordered work to be done on your home without knowing how much it was going to cost before you started and who or how the bill was paid once completed? My guess is not a single one of you. "The PM was not aware of who had paid the bill". WE are supposed to actually believe that bullshit. The Health Secretary is guilty of a "minor breach" of the code regarding the award of a contract. What the man didn't know it was wrong not to declare an interest? Oh feck off the lot of you. You are all as bent as a 3rd World republic. But, once again they are allowed off the hook. Boris will say that there is nothing left to answer so move on. That's his usual gambit and sadly the sheep will oblige. If some ordinary person gets away with nicking a few grand from the benefit system and gets caught eventually the world and his dog goes spare and demands a hanging. Quite rightly so in some cases mind. But these MPs and Ministers in particular do stuff in millions not a few quid and get away with it even though everyone can see clearly they are as guilty as sin. Obviously being let off goes hand in hand with an Eton education.

18. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Watched the Champions League final tonight even though originally I wasn't going to bother. Thought Chelsea did extremely well to contain and snuff out Man City throughout the game. But, why oh why do they then have to go and spoil their efforts by throwing themselves on the floor and feigning injury. Why oh why does a Referee, who did very well throughout, have to go and spoil his performance by not throwing the book at these obvious cheats. I keep saying this but I get more and more disillusioned with football when this seems to just go on and on.

19. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Seems Boris got married for the third time today....Cummings I hear didn't get an invite....all a bit secret squirrel actually

20. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

The Wife and I got our 2nd vaccine shot today.
    Have you Guys had yours ?