1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Other Stuff (anything you want to share)

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

BBC Sport have said that he passed away surrounded by his family afterr a brief fight with brain cancer....could that be another casualty of ball heading ?

2. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

More information

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57788208

The alarms about heading the ball have been to do with dementia. I have to say I'm sceptical for 3 reasons:
    1. Balls these days don't get sodden with rain as they did when many of today's dementia sufferers played.
    2. Not many teams rely on lumping the ball into aerial battles as they used to.
    3. There may be other common factors: you only have to read a few player biographies to know there was a culture of extremely heavy drinking for one thing.

3. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

and smoking

4. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Has anyone tried using the "NEW" pasoti.....it seems a total disaster at the moment.

5. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Just been watching the news about the torrential rainfall and thunder and lightening....followed by flooding in London and the south-east......rather amazed because here in NW Kent/South-East London we have had a sunny day....no sign of any rain....just a slight rumble of thunder in the distance.

6. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I see your daily Covid figures have been higher than ours during the last week....Fridays are.....Bromley being 309 per 100,000.....whilst in Plymouth it is 565 per 100,000.

Your vaccinated figures slightly better at 82% for first jabs and 61% for second....ours are 79% and 61%.

7. notDistantGreen

Wait 'til the pubs open.........

8. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Just like seeing in the new year....Night Clubs opening their doors at mid-night....the moment restrictions were lifted.....thousands of clubbers queuing up for hours....scenes of them crowded together going bananas.....what the hell is all that about.....isn't the virus spreading quick enough without scenes like this.....if this is freedom then lock me up in the tower.......i'll let it pass me by.

9. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think the best one of all is the "new" rule. To get into a nightclub you will have to produce proof of your double vaccine. AT THE END OF SEPTEMBER. I would dearly love to be a fly on the wall at the discussion session that comes up with these brainwaves. It was a bit like the keeping the Indian Variant of Covid out of the country by banning people from entering without a period of isolation. So we are worried sick about it today so lets give them a week before we bring in the isolation bit.

I went into Town today to get a couple of quid and do a bit of shopping. I wasn't sure what to expect from people given the "freedom day" thing was pushed down our throats. I have to say I was fairly pleasantly surprised that the majority of people still wore masks on the bus and in the shops. I didn't see one argument from anyone. My theory about this is that people no longer trust Johnson or any of his cronies to do the right thing when it comes to the pandemic and they are just following their own rules and ignoring him. Very wise I think because the more he opens his mouth the more obvious it is he doesn't have a clue. I believe Cummings has come out with another blockbuster statement about Boris . I know he acts like a spurned lover but somehow I believe him with a lot of it. Even tonight's revelation.

10. notDistantGreen

Can't avoid going back to Brexit. The UK Government is threatening to welch on the detail it agreed to for Northern Ireland. M&S have announced today that it will be reducing the number of Xmas products in NI because it's too difficult to get them in. So much for NI remains part of the UK.

The same situation is now developing in Gibralter. Whilst there are some common interests between to UK and RoI, not least avoiding terrorist violence, the same doesn't apply to Spain.

You can say the EU is taking a hard line but that was predicted and our Goverment signed to damned papers.

11. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I have actually yet to see anything that has proved to be to our advantage, that is the whole of the UK, in anything that has happened since leave day. We were told all manner of things would be to our benefit. Sadly though there are still people out there who believe it. This Country is a shambles and getting more an more shambolic as each day passes. This is nothing to do with the Pandemic either. It is just Johnson incompetence at every turn. The man is a clown and will go down in history as the worst PM this Country has ever had bar none.

12. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I have actually yet to see anything that has proved to be to our advantage, that is the whole of the UK, in anything that has happened since leave day. We were told all manner of things would be to our benefit. Sadly though there are still people out there who believe it. This Country is a shambles and getting more an more shambolic as each day passes. This is nothing to do with the Pandemic either. It is just Johnson incompetence at every turn. The man is a clown and will go down in history as the worst PM this Country has ever had bar none.

13. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Oh dear the printer has gone mad again. I swear I only pressed post once.

14. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Flash floods and a months rain in parts of London......this is what I've just read.....we're less tan 15 miles from Charing Cross (the marker for central London).

Parts of East London far less than that from here showing flooded Tube Stations etc......yet here at the same time it was bright and sunny...without an hint of stormy weather. Weird stuff going on must be due to EU or post Brexit effect.

15. notDistantGreen

I can't help feeling that Climate Change has produced some hysteria in weather reporting. It's July. We've had a hot week with temperatures in the high 20s or very low 30s in a few places. Then, as the English way, we've had a thunderstorm. It's July, that happens.

I sympathise with anyone who's been flooded but do we really need "hottest day of the year" alarms every day? It's July, that happens.

16. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

A months rain in just a few hours ?.....that doesn't sound too much like a typical July thunderstorm.

17. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

You cannot tell me that all of the weird stuff happening is nothing to do with mankind and their stupidity. Whilst I accept that there are weird things from time to time it is becoming the norm now. Try telling the people in Germany and Belgium that what happened there is normal for July or indeed any other time of year. They get flooded to the rafters in the far east not central europe.

As for it being post Brexit stuff it isn't. You only have to look as far as Boris. He is Jonah the Jinx. Anything that happens in this Country since his rise to power just goes tits up and falls apart one way or another. He should admit that he isn't Boris but is in fact Damian. I suspect he doesn't have a reflection in mirrors either.

18. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Read an article this morning on James Brent and his failed hotel chain.....owing over £4 million in debts......don't hold your breath regarding his 'promised' Ice Rink that he owes Plymouth.

19. notDistantGreen

I didn't say climate change was imaginary but that we don't need every weather forecast from 1st April onward to tell us if it's been the hottest day of the year as if that being the case as we move through from April to August was somehow unusual. If this news came on December 22nd I'd agree it was exceptional and should be reported.

On a brighter note (a pun on a number of levels), you'll remember our mate Boris recently holding an umbrella in such away as to channel the water directly onto his suit shoulders. Well, there's been another umbrella incident, this time at the opening of the new Police memorial at the National Arboretum.

The big event was the arrival of His Majesty The Prince of Wales, equipped of course with a Fortnum & Mason Organic Umbrella of a reasonable size, this being of course as it was the wettest 28th July since last year, which was the driest July 28th since 2019. He duly took his seat next to the Lord Lieutenant and engaged in some light weather related banter. Then there was a disturbance to the Prince's left. The camera panned across to reveal Boris with a John Lewis Super-Size Suit Protector, inside out. Mr. Johnson's aide sitting behind helped the PM to put his umbrella right (i.e. took it off him and did it for him). The PM then proceeded to nearly take the aide's eye out with it whilst scanning the horizon for the Police helicopter fly past. He then dumped and unconstitutionally unacceptable volume of water onto the Heir to the Throne.

Jolly japes as always with Our Boris.

20. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I was talking to one of my neighbours today who is a bit older than me. She said "Oh I quite like Boris he's funny. His hair makes me smile." There is simply no hope for any of us.

21. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Celtic knocked out of the Champions League....before the League Season starts.....Rangers must be disappointed for them.

22. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Catching isn't it. Is there such a thing as twitchy finger as you get older?