1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Other Stuff (anything you want to share)

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Jun 19, 2016.

1. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

2. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

We do have the odd complaint about the NHS at times.....but I'm reading something that makes you glad you never lived in the 18th century.

Reading at present a book called.....Remember, Remember (the fifth of November)......A pocket history of Britain in bite sized chunks (one per page)....from the Roman invasion to the end of the second World War.....covering most of the important dates, people and events of that period.

Just been reading about George 1st.......when Queen Anne died so it says....George was well down the pecking order....or should of been.

Queen Anne had borne NINETEEN CHILDREN....but at her death....NONE had survived her to be heir to the throne....(were is the NHS when you need it).

George beat FIFTY-SEVEN relatives with stronger claims by hereditary right..... benefitting from the 1701 Act of Settlement ...which barred Catholics from the throne......he being a Protestant.

It goes on to tell us that he was a crap King....he lived in Hanover most of the time and couldn't speak english anyway....was King for 13 years and left debts of £52 million fighting the Spanish.....plus the disasterous South Sea Bubble cock-up.

3. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

Plym, what make and model Boiler.. why use BG they wil say that . 12-15 years now is the life span of these condensing boiling some cheaper ones from the sheds DIY shops are just throw away boilers, we would not even waste out time going to repair a 400 pounds boiler, cost more for the repair people like them they get 3 years sometimes from them.

Let me know what boiler your looking at . i can get you one at my prices cheaper than BG but you will need an installer . be a lot cheaper than BG and better fitted, Some online boiler sales are a ripp off so you pay someone like BOXt and they use a local installer so better to buy one and get it fitted also i can put you a 10 year warranty on them depending on make and model.. Worcester Bosch is the leader.. size and model.. normally a straight swap over and a minor pipe adjustment . labour for a day 400.00 Plus vat may be a bit more in your area but will work out cheaper than buying forn BG or similar

hope it helps

check about..

4. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Hi Joe.

Present boiler is a Glow-worm Flexicom 30cx combination boiler installed in 2011......heating 11 radiators....installed in the loft of a bungalow.....broken down twice since Jan 31st......second time they replaced the heat exchanger, new pump plus other bits and pieces....but recommend a new boiler is needed....12 yrs they reckon is the life expectancy of this boiler.

They recommend I replace it with a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 4000 30kW combi.....I would prefer it downstairs now at my age....popping up the loft now is not so easy as 12 yrs ago.

So a new vertical flue through the roof will be needed....lot of piping changed and gas supply moved from end wall to mid bungalow...plus of course a power flush for the system.

All the repair work was covered by my Homecare 400 contract.

They've given me a quote with a seven day exceptance on it.

5. Greenarmyjoe

Plym,

yeh well your current boiler has done well given its a glow worm.

Well yeh the 4000 series is a nice compact boiler, or you could go for the 32 CDI , why move it, you should not have to go in the loft.

You can get a thermostat down stairs to control the boiler and you can get a filling link thats digital to fill the boiler.. will save you money on moving the pipework.

As its a bungalow you should not require scaffold to fit the flue vertically.
    Pity im so far away .. 10 year warranty on the boiler dont accept any less as BG boxt ect will try a 2 year or 5 year if you go for a 8000 Life its 12 years ..
    Also the back up and service from Worcester is the best also .. i have been a service partner for over 30 years with worcester i have not fitted much else in tha time but see alot of the boilers. But i dont slag off the other boilers as they are good for breaking down so get the repairs ? im not saying the worcester dont go down as all boilers will do ..

Pm me the quote or text it over i can look at it

6. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

The boiler needed adjusting now and again to keep the pressure above 0.7....so needed to go up the loft to open the two taps to increase the pressure before it shut down....I would then need to press the reset to restart it......and then there were the times I had to unfreeze the condensate pipe outside..... (up a ladder in the freezing cold with a kettle of hot water....great fun).....so I did what you suggested a few years back and cut through the plastic pipe so it no longer mattered if it froze at the right angle bend.

7. Greenarmyjoe

well if you had a new boiler the pressure should not drop unless you have a leak on the system .
    If its dropping now it could be the expansion vessel.

Put some arma flex pipe lagging on the external condensate and increase the pipe size to 32mm if already not and ensure as it goes out through the wall its 32mm ..

8. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

The desire to not be the biggest city that as not played in the top league is becoming obsolete wish for Argyle supporters

The Premiership is now just a toy of the mega-rich.....when British billionaire Sir Jim Ratcliffe....27th wealthiest person in the UK with a fortune of £6billion CEO of Ineos ....has to get financial backing by being bankrolled by JP Morgan and Goldman Sachs... to put an offer in for Man U the club he supports....and still finds himself not the front runner because the Royal family of Qatar and the Public Investment Fund of Saudi Arabia....and possibly an American consortium as well.... are also bidding for the prize of Man U.......when the Qatar bid also says that it will pay up all Man U debts and give it a fresh start with nothing owing to anyone.....you wonder how a British fan like Ratcliffe stands a chance.

With Spurs and Liverpool likely to be under new ownership as well this year you wonder how a true club supporter can feel happy that their club has just become a plaything of the mega-rich.
    In the Premiership you wonder how clubs like Southampton, Bournemouth at the foot of the table....and eventually clubs that are bucking the trend such as Brighton, Fulham, Brentford will survive long term in this league....without being bought by the mega mega-rich and being their play toy.

A truer target....(but only just)... at the moment is to support a successful Championship team....although there is the worry that success might get them promoted one day to the mega-rich league and the worry that your club will be bought by some ultra rich owner....and the soul of the team that you have supported all your life will evaporate forever.

Maybe just maybe Argyle are already at the level that keeps it a fans club....with no debt and run by people that believe what they are doing and mostly fans themselves.

9. notDistantGreen

Ratcliffe is at least a British sports fan, sponsoring several things including the UK Americas Cup team at one time, Mercedes F1 (who are of course a British team, with both car and engine designed, built and managed in the UK) and a cycling team. He was born in Manchester and watched United as a youngster.

But you're right about the sovereign investment funds.

I think Simon Hallett has stated he could not finance a EPL team but would only consider investment from sources which share his values. I think he's a man you can believe. Further down the road... who knows.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2023
  10. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

A QUESTION.

If you were the riches person in the world.....and you bought PAFC....and built a wonderful stadium holding a 100,000 in luxury.....and bought the best 30 players and manager and staff in the world......and eventually won the Premiership at a canter....then European champions....and world club champions and your team was better than any national team.....would you be happy.

I'm asking if winning everything was more satisfying through wealth....or would it be more fullfilling having to strive for it with heartache down the road before success.

I know what my answer would be.....I personally believe that the most satisfied fans in the world in the last 20 years.....roll of drums please.....were Leicester fans winning the Premiership.....when all other fans were smirking that they will blow up before the seasons end as all minnows do.

11. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The answer to paragraph one is no. I do not want to live long enough to see Argyle ever sell it's soul to the devil. I've said before that the Cdhampionship in a competetive league will suit me fine.

12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I hear that John Motson has died at 77 yrs of age.

I'll always remember him stand on a snow covered pitch....looking like a snowman.

13. notDistantGreen

Just reading the paper here, which is full of the latest episode in the Boris Johnson Saga. It’s very interesting.

Firstly, the surprisingly early issue of the Privileges Committee suggests they are strongly of the opinion that Johnson did mislead the House about Partygate. If that’s so, and if he’s suspended from the House for 10 days or more, there would be an automatic recall petition that would probably force a by-election.

Secondly, the Conservative MP’s now saying that the validity of the Sue Gray report into Partygate is destroyed by the possibility of her going to work for Keir Starmer is odd in the extreme, because when it was issued those same Johnson supporters claimed it exonerated him.

What a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive.

14. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I just love the term "mislead". In any other walk of life that word would be replaced by "down right lying fecker". He lied, he knows it, we know it and every other person in the universe who when presented with the facts of the case would say the latter. I find it quite astounding that there are calls for MPs, anyone other than Johnson, who have not attended to their paid work for a reason that wasn't valid for work purposes are called out and bollocked either by their party or the Country in general. Johnson spends more time being fetted by the rich and famous than anyone I know and is hardly ever available for actual work than any other MP in this Country yet nobody seems to call him out for any of it. The man is a charlotan and should be thrown out on his ear. Yet, here he is...............

15. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

There is an article in Mondays (Mar 13th) Daily Express talking of one of my recent pet rants......Parking meters v Smartphone only payments for parking......it goes on to say.........

A move to ditch pay and display parking machines in favour of smartphone-based apps has been slammed as "blatent ageism".

There are thought to be upto 30 different phone apps in operation around the the country, meaning motorists could have to download different ones according the where they park....or risk a fine.

London boroughs Bromley and Enfield will both stop using pay and display machines by next month, while Brighton and Hove city council is due to end the practice by May 31st.

Harrow in London, plus Westminster, have already removed all there machines.

The reason for the shift is mobile phones providers are switching off 3G data networks, which run the parking meters....Bromley said it would cost £1million to update all its machines.

Dennis Reed, director of over-60s campaign group Silver Voices, told the Daily Express: "This is blatent ageism. A lot of old people don't have a smartphone, or if they do, they only use them for calls and texts...They don't know about apps, let alone downloading them."

Caroline Abrahams, charity director at Age UK, said the move was "disasterous for anyone without a smartphone"...She said...."If you are an older person reliant on your car for getting around but you have no means of legally parking it near to where you want to go, you may feel there is little point going there at all".

Daily Express...13/03/2023.

I have already commented on parking in Bromley....months ago the town centre had ripped up all their parking meters...without much of a campaign to inform car owners.....I just wandered around with many other car owners looking for somewhere with a meter to pay at....whilst 75% of parking bays where empty and unusable for most of us without knowledge of the parking app.

Over a year ago my phone stopped working (and many thousands of other phones to).... I phoned Virgin (on landline of course) to ask why.....and it took them ages to realize the reason was 3G was not being supported anymore on my phone.

That is the only reason I bought a smartphone that is compatable with up to 5G.

There was one parking moment when I forgot to press the final button.....and I got a parking fine.......and another occasion when I couldn't get a link up for the road I was parked in and had to go through a long procedure to get official parking....I gave up after 20 minutes of trying and went somewhere else.

Maybe the answer is to get Gary Lineker onto it.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2023
  16. notDistantGreen

I love tech of all kinds, I've had a smartphone for years, I have wi-fi in the car. I can tell it who I want to call and it rings the number for me. It reads my text messages to me. I'm not tech illiterate but this parking lark is a waste of my valuable time (valuable to me that is). Fiddling about, perhaps downloading an app, almost certainly trying to remember a password you last used months ago. Last time, down the Elphinstone Car Park, it took me about 10 minutes to pay £3.30. My little bag of coins will do fine for that thanks.

17. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

G3 being obsolete.... so upgrading parking meters not possible......it's just a load of cods wallop.

Real reasons.

1.....Meters need emptying regularly.

2.....Meters need servicing regulary.

3.....Meters with money in are a security problem.

4.....No staff required ....so more profit instead of wages.

5.....And paying online needs a fee for the service on top of your parking time.

This became obvious as machines broke down and where never repaired.......the display windows became damaged by vandals so you couldn't see the readout.

Just another step along the road of making money obsolete.....and the closing of your high street bank or building society......being forced online and the risk of being conned out of your money.

18. notDistantGreen

You are right about handling cash... it is expensive. Especially heavy piles of coins.

19. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

It's tough but someone has to do it.

20. notDistantGreen

No seriously. You have to have machinery to sort it, count it & bag it. Then there are added control checks when staff are handing cash. Card transactions are self balancing and can't be nicked. Then you need to find someone that wants a load of coin. Filling up your piggy bank or empty whisky bottle is a pointless exercise these days because hardly any bank will take it.

I used to audit checks on big holiday camp bars when I was a callow youth. All cash then of course, bloody X readings and checking for Z readings or no-sale till opening, It is literally a full time job. And then there was the cabaret to put up with...

If it's coin, nobody is going to hold you up and steal it but if it's notes, you need a security van so then there's a transfer procedure.

Here's a little question. What's the most expensive stock item you'll find behind a bar and is often used in systematic fraud?