Off Topic Other Stuff (anything you want to share)

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Jun 19, 2016.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Think the Dutch aren't there either. Suppose we can brag we got further than some who might have been expected to. Feel sorry for Buffon who I rate as one of the best keepers in the game. Think he deserved to go out at the top rather than this. Still, that's life I guess and it never quite runs as expected does it. We might not last long either once it starts.

2. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Italy has only missed two World Cups before this....as I said 1958...and the very first one in 1930 when they didn't enter.

3. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

We may be better off staying home and handing Italy our place ... <doh>

4. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Well risking the wrath of sensible....I reckon that England's 0-0 draw with Brazil was a good game again.....Brazil played a strong team with top subs as well to come on.....we played well with some younger players getting time on the pitch....young Gomez played well and Rashford didn't look out of place amongst those Brazilian super stars....who easily walked through their S American World Cup qualifying games....the hardest qualifying group in the World Cup.....satisfying night.

5. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Satisfying without being a great spectacle for me. The one England player who lived up to his name was Dyer. And indeed he was in my book. Gave the ball away in very bad positions at least 4 or 5 times and we were lucky we weren't punished. Thought the Ref spoiled a lot of the game with being a right pedantic git. Never let a thing go. For me another bore draw and to win anything we have to beat these teams not draw with them because that will not be allowed in a knockout competition. If they were league matches you might think the 2 draws were decent considering who we played. Agree Gomez was the standout player but thought Vardey and Rashford weak.

6. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

I bet the game I was watching was better than England v Brazil. PAFC 3 AFC Wimbledon 2 in the FA youth Cup 2nd round proper at Home Park. We looked to be struggling at 2-1 down with ten to go but leveled it and then Klaidi Lolos smashed home the winner in the 3rd minute of added time. He celebrated by ripping his shirt off and running half the length of the pitch. The ref handed him his shirt back followed by a yellow card at which point Klaidi hugged the ref. Fortunately the ref saw the funny side and didn't produce a 2nd yellow(I have come across a few who would have done). Chuffed to bits for Klaidi, Kev Hodges and all the lads- we have a great bunch of apprentices. Next up Man City at home in the 3rd round in a couple of weeks.

7. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I toyed with the idea of going to watch that one lyndhurst. Problem was I went to a pub for a steak and couple of glasses of wine and to be honest was a bit stuffed and lethargic after. Her indoors would say I was my normal self but I never ever listen to her.

Good on them though and glad they got through. Man City youth should be a good one for them.

8. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Yes great win Lyndy....(been reading the write ups)....but how many of them will we have in a year or so when the poachers have finished.

9. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

Really difficult to know...the good thing is that we have a fairly equal split between 1st and 2nd year apprentices so at least half will be here next year. I would far rather that they got poached (and we therefore get some cash) rather than they are just let go and fall by the wayside. I think there are at least three 2nd years that we might want to offer a contract to. It is a really difficult call fall for the club with some 1st year pros being paid ridiculous amounts by the'big clubs'-something we cant afford to do.