1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Other Stuff (anything you want to share)

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Jun 19, 2016.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Read an article today about a team in league two who were going to sign a spanish player on £15k per week. They didn't because the players Agent decided to come back and say they wanted the £15k tax paid which obvious would put the weekly up to around the £20k mark. The Club were Notts County. The amazing thing is that they were willing or even able to pay one player £15k a week. The amount is worse than obscene. They deserve to go down the pan if that's what they do.

2. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think it's a sign of aging that I am showing interest in my family history....part of that would be my mothers childhood home....she used to live at 199 Embankment Road, Princerock with her two younger sisters.
    I can remember visiting this address during the war up to and including the early1950's.
    I can also remember visiting during the war and being fascinated with the barrage balloon anchored in the playground at the school a few yards up the road...it's called Princerock Primary School these days probably then as well.
    One of my mothers sisters worked part time in this school and I can remember her taking me with her one day during the summer holidays (1949/52 era).....she had to take charge of the milk delivery, even during the holidays children were entitled to a third of a pint of milk which came in a glass bottle.....she had crates of the stuff to set out and pupils could pop in for their daily milk ration.....of course many didn't come and she had to dispose of all the surplus milk so that the empties could be picked up the next day when the next delivery arrived, this she did by pouring gallons of the stuff down the sink.
    I can remember one occasion she gave me a crate of milk and I sat in the playground in the shade ( I remember it being very hot) and drinking most of a crate....or so it seemed.....and feeling guilty because I wasn't entitled to it.
    I can also remember being told to go into grandads bedroom once whilst down there to see him....he was ill in bed with terminal cancer....I stood there quietly until he noticed me.....and he said ' are you Lily's son' to which I answered in a whisper yes......funny how you remember certain things more than others.

The internet is brilliant for searching up facts such as personal history.....I could see that 199 Embankment Road a four bedroom end terrace had been turned into three flats and looked quite squalid and run down.....and I also discovered that last year it was sold for £170,000....which seems like peanuts compared with the price of property around NW Kent for four bedrooms.....I expect it was in quite a state if the outside was anything to go by.

3. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Not sure of it being a sign of age plym. I have to say that I have no interest in flogging my way through record after record to find the family tree thing. I did have a look at my mother-in-law's family thing a while back but only because my misus was interested in something. Took me ages to find out very little unless I wanted to invest money joining sites. Lost interest at that stage. That school by the way has always been Princerock primary. Stuck in the middle of the road which always struck me as strange in itself. There is history of Plymouth sticking things in the middle of roads. The Hyde Park always amuses. I imagine chucking out time and the merry bunch leaving and having to wander out into the road from an island of safety when having had a skin full. I've never heard of a fatality there though. Probably because the pissed usually bounce well.

4. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

Also charles church.. what an eyesore..:confused:

5. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

The amount of traffic now compared to the 50's makes a huge difference to the desirability of houses on main roads doesn't it?

6. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

The amount of traffic on all roads is abysmal these days let alone on main roads. I am back living in the same house I was brought up in so have gone full circle in life. When I was a kid out of the 16 houses in the cul-de-sac there were 3 cars or rather vehicles. One car and two works vans. We played roller skate hockey in the street and hardly ever had to stop the game. Mostly when we did it was for the milk van, icecream van, coal lorry or veg delivery. Now the street has a minimum of two cars to most of the houses and those with only one are made up for by the several who have 3 or more. The main road which runs past the bottom of the street is hardly ever car free no matter what time of night or day it is and it is never quiet. Being a valley I can hear the traffic at the top end of the street where my house is.

I think traffic is probably the most polluting thing on the planet no matter where you live. As I said above this is a valley and you can see the air on a bad day or rather the haze the pollution creates. Main roads now with heavy traffic all day long should come with a government health warning never mind just sticking pictures on fag packets. Thing is though it ain't gonna change anytime soon. Too much money and taxes in car sales and fuel.

7. Greenarmyjoe

Congestion charges for the town would be good , i know i would have to pay it, but then again we would get more done, as at school times you cant move in the city or any part easily. Perhaps people need to walk a bit more for the school run, or the council needs to get the public transport sorted. Around Somerset i think, they have a dedicated lane for cars with two or more in them. care share

8. notDistantGreen

Of course Plymouth makes a rod for its own back by having a secondary school entry system (outside the grammars) in which there are no geographic catchment areas: pupils can apply for any school that takes their fancy.

I'm grateful for it because otherwise my daughter would be in some educational hellhole but it does mean much more travelling at the peak times. A lot of it going through Prince Rock is fleeing the schools in the west of the city en route to Plymstock and Coombe Dean schools and similarly Plympton en route to Heles!

9. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Catch a bus then. I know most won't if they can take a car even if it is a simple route. My daughter doesn't like riding on a bus. She might have to sit next to somebody she doesn't want to sit next to. She isn't a snob normally so why she has that idea god alone knows. I watch the reluctant bus catchers when I'm on one. They will walk to the back of the bus to find a single seat and then place a bag on the seat next to them, plug in their earphones and pretend they cannot see or hear anyone else who might get on and not have a seat. However, the bus service in Plymouth is quite adequate to serve needs and if more people used it instead of clogging up the roads without need then they would run more on time and be more of them.

I would say that if the Government wants to try to price smoking out of existence and ban it almost everywhere because of passive smoke then they should also virtually price petrol etc out of existence due to the passive pollution they submit pedestrians to. There is as much pollution to the lungs from cars as there is from smoking in a room and probably more in reality.

10. notDistantGreen

She does go by bus but you only need to travel in the rush hour during school holidays to realise how much school traffic there is.

11. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

No notdistant. Not just your daughter but all the other kids and mums as well. That should take care of the school run problem and reduce the pollution.

12. Greenarmyjoe

Sensible, some cant walk that far.. As Distant states when its a holiday period the roads are clear. The george junction is total chaos in the mornings if i leave later than 7.30 but holiday time i can leave at 8 and still be in the place at same time. Need to tax the cars that have one person on board.. It will never change, shame on those who live around a school..

13. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

IT'S STARTED....new next door neighbour (moved in on Monday) cutting his front lawn when I came back from the school run....we all hate whoever starts the lawn cutting cycle......keeping up with the Jones's saga begins.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  14. Greenarmyjoe

Saga :oops::oops: do they do grass cutting? <double>

15. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Saga are way too expensive an organisation for pensioners to afford.

16. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Listening to the scores so far on Sky Sport news and they have just said Goodwillie with his 20th of the season......................yes the very same Goodwillie and yes they did say 20th. Couldn't hit a fecking barn door here could he. Obviously only performs in the Scottish fresh air.

17. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Watched the Football Focus from yesterday on catch up this morning as I missed it when it was on live. Considering it was right at the end of the programme it was probably the best way to do it. Quite a positive piece. Everyone on it seemed happy and content and it was yet another highlight of the club on national TV. We are becoming quite the famous outfit aren't we.

18. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Has Goodwillie sorted out his court case....and can now concentrate on football ?

19. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Think he has plym. Can't be any other explanation.

20. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I see that Mark Hughes has just been appointed manager at Southampton. Why? Is it just me who thinks that this perpetual merry-go-round of the same old faces in football is just farcical. The man got sacked by another club for failing to do the job they wanted. Now he is employed by a club that is already failing and they expect him to become their saviour. Well he might do the business for them but the odds are stacked that he will eventually get fired for failing once more. This must be the only profession in the World that re-employs the useless over and over again. This seems to be the case in all of the leagues where the same old managers just jump on and off the roundabout swapping posts with each other from time to time. Why isn't somebody taking a punt on a complete unknown young person just starting out. Surely that has to be at least an equal if not better option than employing failure after failure.