1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Other Stuff (anything you want to share)

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

CLOCKS CHANGE this weekend....go forward 1hr.....hour less in bed for sensible to have his egg and soldiers.

2. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Nope I just get up later is all.

3. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Was at my daughter's this evening and whilst there watched some of the England friendly. I say most of because for periods it didn't hold my attention. On the strength of that performance and I know it was a friendly, I can't see England going very far in the WC. I'm calling it WC because it's being held in a ****house called Russia. That Ref wasn't about to award a penalty ever was he. The Rashford one especially was so nailed on it was unbelievable. Still I suppose we won it even if we spent a lot of time giving the ball away. Mind you, the Dutch kept giving it back again so they weren't any better.

4. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

We haven't beat the Dutch for awhile....and not in Holland since 1969....so something to cheer about....<applause>.

PS.....over a 100 English (so-called) fans arrested in Amsterdam in the last two days. If they get arrested in Russia we'll probably never see them again.....serves them right.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
  5. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

Well i thought it was not bad in parts, exciting fast players and give the young a chance, we are not going to win anything in Russia, so just be exciting not the boring football.

Send Boris to Russia with the England team.. he may keep his mouth shut then.. :afro:

6. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Disappointed England cricket fans in New Zealand jumped on the news That the Aussie's had been caught cheating by ball tampering.

As England slipped to an innings defeat ' the barmy Army' were heard singing this little song.

" Steve Smith is an Aussie
    He wears a baggy cap
    And when he saw some sticky tape
    He said I'm having that
    He gave it to Cameron Bankcroft
    Who rubbed it on the ball
    Those cheating Aussie Convicts
    They'll never change at all ! "

Some questions referring back to the Ashes series has been brought up by some of the England team of how the Aussies got reverse swing in conditions that were not conducive to it happening.

7. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Oh surprise surprise.................the game of cricket even at my modest level if you nicked the ball you walked without being asked. Now nobody walks at all. If an Umpire said you were out you were out without question and you walked. Now they stand their ground and look at the big screen. So the Aussies got caught cheating and everyone acts like it's the shock of the century. England of course would never stoop so low. Like feck they wouldn't and every team in the universe is probably at it. The crime is they got caught in the first place. Good song though.

8. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

England 1-1 Italy.....late draw by Italy because of a German run VAR system giving them a penalty.....bleddy Germans.....:headbang:.

9. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I don't think it was a penalty anyway with or without VAR. He was running alongside and towards the ball and he accidently stood on his foot. Accidently isn't a foul because there is no deliberate intent in it at all. There is a world of difference in that and bringing somebody down. Mind you in the modern game it could have been a red card because that's how stupid it is all becoming.

Thought it was a poor game again. England huffed and puffed and Italy were crap in the first half. Second half and it reversed. Ref was rubbish.

10. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

The substitutions ruined England's momentum and boosted Italy's.

I agree that it wasn't a penalty. Completely accidental. We now have the situation where an attacker can step in front of a defender in the expectation of contact and get a penalty. Unless defenders leave their arms in the dressing room, every touch is a handball.

VAR will ruin the game. It will be so stop-start , it'll be like rugby!

11. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

We did five substitutions and Italy three.....I agree that the subs changed the flow for England.....although it's nice to win we need to remember that it was a friendly and the aim was to prove what players would be best for our World Cup squad when the time came to choose.....this was the last game before Gareth Southgate has to name his provisional squad....which of course gets reduce nearer the tournament.
    The penalty was tough....The Ref gave nothing....but the video assistant referee drew to the attention of the match ref a possible infringement that he might like to review....what he saw was James Tarkowski stand on the foot of Federico Chiesa in the penalty area as they were running side by side....unintentional foul but it gave the ref no option but to give a foul....and of course a penalty.
    The game against Holland didn't use VAR and there seemed a nailed on penalty moment that passed by with just the match referee making an on the spot decision to ignore it.....such is life.

12. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

But that's not football life though plym. The Ref reviewed it which in itself is fair enough because something was pointed out to him. But, he did have a choice of either considering the foot step was a deliberate act therefore a foul or he could deem it accidental in both players just running along together and give nothing. He chose to give the penalty on a still frame which does not tell the story of the incident. I agree with notdistant this will ruin football and make players up for cheating even more. They WILL learn to manipulate the incidents.

13. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Richard Osborne-Brooks is the 78 year old arrested on suspicion of murder of one of 2 burglars he found in his home and stabbed. Obviously we don't know the circumstances of the killing in any detail but I would have to say that if they were breaking into his home and he defended his castle then all power to the man and he should never see the inside of a courtroom for it. If put in that sort of situation what would a lot of people do? I'd like to think I might just do the same if the opportunity arose. If he does face any court action then I would hope the population of this country would be outraged. Unless of course the facts weren't as being presented right now.

14. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

We remember Tony Martin the Norfolk farmer who blasted a burglar with his shot gun as he came up the stairs, who was conficted of manslaughter after originally being charged with murder....the charge was reduced on grounds of diminished responsibility.

Richard Osborn-Brooks didn't blast anyone....but seemed to get into a struggle with one of the burglars who ended up being stabbed with a screwdriver.

Pity the police can't get a grip on more serious things like the 50 knife and gun deaths in London this year.

15. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Think Tony Martin got done for blasting one with a shotgun who was actually running away. Hence his charge but for me he should never have been charged either. Don't break in anywhere and you won't get shot or stabbed by a house owner.....................simples.

16. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Having been deprived of Gardeners World for women's football.....England v Wales...I started watching....good grief, poor to watch, continually passing to the other side....no real organization noticeable.....bring back Monty far more exciting than this.

17. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

0-0 F/T.....one way traffic.....Wales just defended with everyone behind the ball.....never intended to do anything but play for a point.

18. JAMES THE GILLS MAN

JAMES THE GILLS MAN Active Member

Morning all. Gillingham fan here. I am looking for a van driver ideally with a Luton van for a trip from Plymouth To Roscoff in France to pick up some furniture and then a return trip to drop off at safestore, cash job for right person and price

19. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Pst.......anyone want a job? Hash in hand o'er I mean cash in hand....................

20. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

Dodgy job that sounds.. <doh>