1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Other Stuff (anything you want to share)

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

High Street banking is changing ...so that using a branch to walk into is becoming not the norm anymore....they expect you to do business online these days.

I visit Sevenoaks once a week and their Halifax branch has at times been closed ALL WEEK.....the reason is that they haven't got adequate staff ?.....when they have been open it has only been for two days in a week.

This past Saturday whilst in my local High Street....I notice a group of people standing out side the Halifax branch....the time was 9.30 am....so I first thought it was possibly 'staff training'....but no they had put a notice on the door stating new opening hours.....and in future they will be closed on Saturdays....pardon...isn't that the one day that customers might be able to go to a branch out of personal working hours.....totally crazy...how many loyal customers might consider moving to another bank who all seem to be open on a Saturday morning.....The Halifax were considerate and informed you that if you wanted to use a branch then the nearest was Bromley.....which is at least 6 miles away and a horror parking experience for someone who needed to visit their Halifax personally now and again.

Gone are the days that used to be advertised on the telly of us all having a Bank manager in our cupboard at home .....just waiting for us to personally use whenever we needed.

Some people get paid in cash and regularly use the 'in branch machine' for paying regular bills each week or month.

2. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Sorry to see a club that employs Lyle Taylor progressing. The self-obsessed oik seveal times berated his own team-mates when he failed to make the right moves to collect their passes.

3. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I wouldn't mind him in my team notdistant even if he is a bit on the swollen headed side.

4. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Unfortunately enjoyed playing against Argyle.....over 140 goals in his career.....21 this season for Charlton....we could never afford him....helped to keep Wimbledon up two years back....Charlton snapped him up last summer.....I'll pass your comments on to him next Sunday at Wembley notDistant.

5. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Didn't quite read the door notice correctly....it also said that they would closed also on a Thursday !!!.

So that means it is only open on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays & Fridays.....so being rather intrigued I popped in and asked why....the answer was....because head office has said so.....but I was reminded that the Bromley branch was staying open on Saturday until 4pm.

All other Banks/Building Societies were still opening every day and often later than 4pm on a Saturday.....so for Halifax staff to do a full working week they have to condense their week into only four days.....sounds like there going to get by with only two thirds of the staff.

6. notDistantGreen

A bit?

7. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Ok a lot but I'd still like him in my team. I think part of his game is to wind up the opposition supporters. The more you get on his back the better he plays.

8. notDistantGreen

If you have a hair style like that, you have to expect that fans think that seagull poo is the culprit. No point getting upset about it a making gestures at the crowd.

9. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Have you not seen young men and teenage boys and their hair recently notdistant? I keep expecting something to emerge out of my grandson's hair at any minute but nothing has yet. There is enough height and amount there for anything up to an Ostrich. He says I'm just jealous but I do point out I'm unlikely to get nits.

10. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

well is he the one with the head band and white hair all curly from the eighties style.. total prick

11. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

But also a very good player though Joe. I don't mind a bit of arrogance to be fair.

12. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

yes but cocky

13. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

As is Lameiras in his own way but we love him. I'm good, I know I'm good and I can show you good anytime I want. It's what makes some of them. I think he likes a bit of banter with the terraces and does his pose thing after scoring to get some of it. He has done it for 2 seasons at Home Park if you remember and we all remember him. He also plays with a smile.

14. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Eurovision having reviewed the points scored on the night have reduced the UK's total from 16pts down to 11pts...so from a distant last we have moved to an even more distant last....obviously someone forgot to turn the knife that one more time.

15. notDistantGreen

Apparently Chelsea and Arsenal have been able to sell only about a half of their allocation of Europa League Final tickets due the high cost of getting to Baku and of staying their. Similar numbers of EUFA's tickets are also unwanted.

Makes you wonder why the final was given to the city, apart from its immense oil riches of course.

I look forward to the Qatar, which adds crushing heat, repressive attitudes to homosexuality and women and a raised terrorist risk for a high profile Western event.

Makes you wonder why the finals were given to the country, apart from its immense oil riches of course.

16. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Just been and cast my EU vote......two desks,.....four tellers (or whatever they're called)...and at 1345hrs I was the only voter there.

The ballot paper was folded up like a concertina.....I was shown how to fold it up after voting so that it would go into the box slot.

On the very long ballot form where 10 different parties and 11 independents.

There wasn't one rep from any party on duty to try and chat you up to see who you had voted for.

Of the 21 voting possibilities....parties and independents....only Labour, Greens, UKIP and the Brexit Party had posted any pamphlets through our letter box.

More £millions wasted by this appalling government on something that they promised us over a hundred times we where leaving before the end of March.

17. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Ah but they didn't say March of which year though.................

18. notDistantGreen

I told you before this all started Plym that the country would be ungovernable and so it is. May's done her best but it always was a hopeless task.

Predictably, Britain has become very polarised in a nasty way. We have after all had one MP murdered for the opinions she held and many others, mainly Remainers, are receiving regular death threats.

There's only one person to blame for this: David Cameron who caved in to extremists in his own party to allow a unwise and ill structured referendum.

The Conservatives have been wiped out in the Euro elections and Brexiteers will again misrepresent the truth by claiming it's because voters are punishing them for failing to deliver Brexit. But for every voter who's defected to the Brexit Party, there's another like me who's dumped them for the various Remain parties. In a General Election, we'll all have to think a lot more about whether a rabid Farage or a communist Corbyn make it worth risking a protest vote.

Oh and PS - British Steel.

19. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Yes indeed British Steel owned by Greybull Capital...the well known asset strippers....sucked out all the valuable assets from the company and now expect the government to give them multi-£million hand-outs.....which by EU LAW IS NOT ALLOWED.

China make cheap steel in uncontrolled environment which makes it difficult for the rest of the world to compete with.

Brexit is well down the list when you look at why BS has failed....big Financial Company asset stripping and EU laws that tie our government down from helping are the main causes as was well explained by a businessman on Question Time Thursday evening.

20. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Harry Hicks (58 yrs old) was charged with possession of a knife whilst at the Cheltenham Festival in March last year

Mr Hicks was spared jail after he produced a fork and claimed he had issues with using cutlery while eating out....he picked up a knife and fork from home and put it in his pocket to use during his visit to the races.