1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Our situation

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by Chris-Gashead, May 6, 2014.

1. Chris-Gashead

Chris-Gashead Well-Known Member

Has got me thinking about the poor little buggers who are bred into Bristol Rovers from birth or who have just recently started watching Rovers, now having to go through this complete ****e :(

If I were a parent right now, I think I would actively encourage my son/daughter to support a premier league side to save them all the feckin pain that comes with supporting Rovers.

I started watching Rovers properly in the 06/07 season I think it was..... I used to go to several games back in the early 2000's as well when we had agogo and gratzioli (spelling??) playing for us etc. I suppose I have seamge to blame for this as he was the git who got me fully hooked <grr> lol. In this time I have seen 1 promotion and 2 relegations and have only seen Rovers win ONE away game in about 20? I obviously don't go away anymore and wonder if I should even go to home games anymore, such is the effect I have had on the team lol.

We may struggle to attract any fans at all if we are down here for too long :(

2. Bluebaldee

Bluebaldee Total Git

I'm a born and bred Gashead. My Dad was one, my Grandad - my uncle still drives up from Minehead every week for the bollocks they serve up. I was born 300yds from Eastville and I followed them to Bath, apart from the early 90s when I lived in France.

I am a parent right now and there's no way I would encourage my boys to follow a Premier League team - supporting Rovers is in the blood. Fortunately, my oldest is not quite 7 and isn't really into football at the mo. That's why I'm hoping that we can get out of the 5th tier and get up the leagues in the next few years, so that I can take my boys to watch some decent football in a decent stadium.

But yes, I do feel sorry for the littluns. Some of the poor sods were in floods on Saturday.

3. Chris-Gashead

Chris-Gashead Well-Known Member

If I am being honest, I probably would ensure they turn out gasheads, as even though we are ****e, we have a proud club here with a great history and it comes with its up and down moments, but it is as real as it gets.

4. Bluebaldee

Bluebaldee Total Git

Let's face it, if they turned out to be Teds you'd have to drown them!

I've said it before and I'll say it again - the world over, no-one likes a Ted <laugh>

5. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

born and bred gashead but wasnt allowed to go until straight away. i have seen 4 relegations and 2 promotions.

i have 2 girls, no boys but when my girls are a bit older i will take them to a home game and see what they think. if they like it i take them a bit more often. if they dont then they can help their mum clean the house and cook the dinner ready for when i get home <laugh>

we will lose a lot of floating fans as they would rather see league 1 over non league. however if we start the season strong and keep building on that then i think we will have good crowds at the mem and as a lot of travelling gas will want to tick off stadiums that they never been too, i think our away crowd will be good too. we could even make a lot of away games into home games as a good number of teams we will be facing have no segregation and encourage both sets of fans to mingle with each other all over the ground. some places have a good away capacity but their home gates aint that good so we could out number them. they would be great to do and helpful to the players.

6. Gasheadseamge79

Gasheadseamge79 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Same hear I've seen 4 relegations this one being by far the worse

7. Shinycitylad7

Shinycitylad7 Looking at the stars mate

I wouldn't say that! this one is by far your best relegation :)

Also if any of your fans come to our ground because we are a league 1 team then we don't ****ing want them. You have the choice who you want to support so you stick with it, even if they have been relegated to the conference. I wasn't born a red.... in fact I was blue! I chose city though. So glad I did. OTIB

8. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

i wont turn red. i be very surprise if any blues turn red. i think some blues would rather support bath or give up football altogether. i expect reds to feel the same about us <ok>

9. gas

gas ACCOUNT DELETED
    Forum Moderator

My first game was when I was a nipper at Eastville in 1980. We drew 0-0 with the ****. I've been going on and off since then, 34 years to be precise<yikes> Thing is I'm so used to watching so much crap the main reason I still go is for the social scene. A few beers with some good mates that I've know for yonks.

I apologised to my son and two nephews on Sunday for encouraging them to follow the Rovers. Used to take them when they were small now they're grown up and my lad and one nephew have season tickets in the Blackthorn every year for their birthday presents. I have a feeling they'll ask for socks this year<doh>

10. gdknac

gdknac Well-Known Member

Quite right-How it should be and the true fans will still go even if one of us were playing on the Downs.-

Its the armchair fans who switch teams and shirts that do my head in.

11. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

i can understand some who float to both sides. some older fans on both sides use to go to eastville 1 week to watch rovers and then the next week go to ashton gate to watch city. they liked watching both. i get that as that was before the rivalry started i guess. i cant see that happening again where you get people liking to watch both. i will be shocked if that was still happening!

<ok>

12. Bluebaldee

Bluebaldee Total Git

Blues turning red?

Oooomesides!!!!

13. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

The city (word used correctly) is too deeply divided for fans to switch their allegiances I would have thought.

My first game as a spectator was in 1969 at Eastville when Rovers beat Peterborough 3-1 (I think). After that the following week I was taken to Ashton Gate and the rest is history. A lucky escape for me maybe..

I think you'll need to bounce back at the 1st attempt personally otherwise you could be in the Conference for a while. I'm not sure that the supposed gulf between L1/L2 and the Conference exists any longer. It's not to be underestimated as it's a tough league, just look at how long it's taken Luton to come back. Then there's Wrexham, Kidderminster, Southport, Hereford, Lincoln, Aldershot all ex league clubs who've struggled.

14. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

44 years a Gashed... I'm not going to change now!

15. Gasheadseamge79

Gasheadseamge79 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Taken From Evil Post Website And In Todays Paper

Reader's letter: After 13 years It is time for me to say Goodnight Irene

I CAN smell gas, yes its Bristol Rovers being cremated on the altar of abject failure.

I moved to Bristol 13 (unlucky) years ago and have watched the Rovers through the average times and less than average times.

A few seasons in the third tier of league football okay, but not exactly brilliant &#8211; most seasons in the basement league (that's the fourth division to people in my age group).

To see the team taken apart by the likes of Accrington Stanley, Morecombe, Dagenham and Redbridge etc. is nothing short of embarrassing.

I'm sure many fans will stay loyal to the club as they disappear into the wilderness of non-league football never to be heard of again.

Perhaps the time has come for me to start spending my Saturdays in BS3.

Goodnight Irene and Goodbye

David Kanehl

(originally from Kent)

Cretinous Erk :biggrin:

16. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

words fail me.

17. Alandicksthegreat

Alandicksthegreat Well-Known Member

Captain, i was one of those, we used to mingle, have a good laugh, its a shame it ever changed, allthough i'm a meader, and lived closer to Eastville, i always prefered City, mainly because of BJA, tough times ahead for the Gas, but wish you, and all true gasheads the best of luck.
    Once a blue always a blue, once a red always a red, i wouldn't change, and wouldn't expect any of your lot to.

18. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

i didnt mean to be rude mind when i said "some older fans" <whistle>

19. Bluebaldee

Bluebaldee Total Git

The oppositional culture only really took off during the 70s and 80s hooligan times, throughout most of the 50s and 60s both teams rubbed along fine and as AD says, many went to watch both teams.

Unfortunately those days are long gone - my Dad and certainly my Grandad were of that generation, both long shuffled off this mortal coil.

The banter's and the piss taking is fine, but the pure hatred and violence can **** off. That's not what it should be about.

20. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

exactly how i feel.