1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Our World Today

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Jun 25, 2017.

1. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

The analysis is fundamentally flawed Plym because company directors have a fiduciary responsibility to minimise the tax they suffer, subject only to remaining within the law at all times.

If the UK tries to implement an onerous tax regime after Brexit, companies will simply relocate, reducing the UK's tax take close to zero.

In any case, it's more likely we'll have to adopt a low tax strategy simply to keep jobs here. Spending on the NHS may go down instead of up......

2. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

1.....How could we ever consider leaving Sepp Blatter out of any scandal.

Disgraced former FIFA president Sepp Blatter has been accused of sexual assault by Hope Solo, a star of women's soccer in the States.

Ms Solo, 36, claims she "had Sepp Blatter grab my ass" at the Ballon d'Or awards in 2013.

She claims it happened just before she and Blatter went on stage to present the trophy for the Women's World player of the year to Abby Wambach.

She told Portuguese newspaper Expresso, sexual harassment was "rampant" in sport.

A spokesman for Blatter, 81, who is serving a six year ban from football, said: "This allegation is ridiculous."

My thoughts......Of course it is Sepp....your just misunderstood by everyone.

2.....Chancellor Philip Hammond has been bombarded with 5,000 emails from his own staff demanding a pay rise.

Whitehall workers, including many in his Treasury, want him to lift the public sector pay cap.

The Public and Commercial Union has also written to the Chancellor urging him to scrap the cap.

A consultative ballot found 80% of its 75,000 members who voted were prepared to strike over pay.

Mark Serwotka, PCS General Secretary, called on Mr Hammond to "make the necessary resources available" to deliver "above inflation pay rises".

3. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

He probably misheard and thought it was Han(d)s Solo and he was at a Star Wars convention. Anyway she should be warned that anything Sep Blatter touches turns bad these days.

4. notDistantGreen

Given his remarks about women's football being better if they wore tight shorts, this doesn't surprise me.

5. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Where is there any surprise in any of it for god sake? Hasn't the expression "casting couch" been thrown about since time began. Now everyone acts like it's a scandal when everyone knew it was happening years and years ago and never raised an eyebrow. A bit of contravercy I know but tell me it wasn't fairly common knowledge back in the day that rock bands bonked teenage girls who flocked to their tour bus or hotel in droves willingly. If it was my daughter I'd be fuming and I'm not saying it was or is right but lets not be too hypocritical with the subject.

6. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

1.....Families will be barred from taking pets to the Continent if Brexit negotiations collapse, the EU's chief negotiator has suggested.

Michel Barnier has said that the collapse of trade talks is a "real possibility" and warned it could effect the ability of "dogs and cats to cross the Channel".

Under EU regulations, owners only require a "pet passport" certifying that the animal has been vaccinated against rabies.

P&O Ferries alone carried more than 20,000 pets from Dover to Calais last year.

Jacob Rees Mogg, a Eurosceptic Tory MP, said: "It's really silly. You can't take this man seriously, he is now negotiating absurdly. It undermines his credibility.

" The worry has always been of rabid animals coming from the Continent. I'm all for keeping rabid Eurocrats out of the UK".

Mr Barnier said on Friday the UK had just a fortnight to make a new commitment if it wanted a break-through in December, a deadline laughed off by David Davies, the Brexit Secretary.

Member states are to decide on Dec 14-15th whether enough progress has been made on the exit bill, Ireland and citizens' rights to advance to the second phase.

My thoughts.....The only good thing Cameron ever did for us, giving us a vote on membership. How did it take us so long as a Nation to reject stifling EU domination on this Sovereign State.

2.....A taxi driver was repeatedly stabbed by a customer who argued over the cost of the fare.

The 42-year-old victim was taken to hospital with serious injuries, though they were not believed to be life-threatening, after the incident in Moss Side. Manchester, at 8.10pm on Saturday.

The customer argued over the cost of the fare after the car stopped and attacked the driver before he fled, police said.

Det Insp Geoff Marchent, of Greater Manchester Police, Said: This was a disgusting attack on a unsuspecting man who was trying to do his job.

My thoughts.....I assume it wasn't a "Black Cab" style of taxi with a screen protecting the driver from the passenger.

I can remember abroad years back a taxi driver taking me to my destination....a 20 minute ride....later that week when I became more familiar with where I was staying, I realized that my "20 minute ride" was only in a direct route a 5 minute walk....now I would have liked to have crossed paths with him again.

3.....Rowan Atkinson, the Blackadder and Mr Bean actor , is to become a father again at the age of 62, it has been reported.

The star, who has two adult children from his first marriage, is expecting his first child with Louise Ford, the actress, who is 29 years his junior.

The couple have been together for three years and are said to be delighted and excited about the news.

Miss Ford, 33, studied at RADA alongside Tom Hiddleston and Gemma Arterton. She got her break in 'Crashing', the Channel 4 comedy, but is best known for playing Kate Middleton in 'The Windsors'.

My thoughts.....So Blackadder is better at fathering than driving his McClaren....which he wrote off not long after getting it (didn't get another one).

Daily Telegraph Articles...13/11/17.

7. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Theresa May should walk away now from the Brexit talks and the EU's "outrageous" demands, one of Britain's top businessmen insisted yesterday.

Billionaire Sir James Dyson, reiterating his confidence that Britain has a "fantastic" future, said Brussels would come back desperate to offer a good trade detail.

Sir James, who backed 'Leave' in the referendum, called for Britain to play hard ball amid growing suspicion that Brussels' bullies are deliberately obstructing British attempts to move talks forward.

The EU insists on "sufficient progress" on Britain's divorce bill, citizens rights and the Irish border issue before it will let talks progress on to future relationships like trade.

EU negotiator Michel Barnier sparked fury on Friday by setting the UK a new deadline of two weeks to make concessions on paying a Brexit bill or see the start of trade talks delayed until next year. On yesterday's Andrew Marr Show on BBC One, Sir James said the Government was not to blame for the stalemate.

"The problem is the people we are negotiating with," he said. "Demanding billions and billions to leave is quite outrageous, and demanding it before we have negotiating anything is outrageous." I would walk away" , that's the only way to deal with them. I've been dealing with the EU and the EU countries for the last 25 years. There's no way to deal with them, you have to walk away.

If you walk away they will come to us because they're able to export all their products to us. We are in an incredibly strong position. We shouldn't give them any money, we should just walk away and they'll come to us.

"We've tried very hard. We've been very reasonable. They've been incredibly unreasonable and I think the time has come to walk away.

My thoughts.....Michel Barnier has gone to far in his demands.....he hasn't at the moment got the full backing of Angela Merkel....she is fully engaged in her own country still trying to form a government...weeks after scraping through in a general election, her mind is elsewhere at the moment.

8. notDistantGreen

9. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

David Davis has announced that Parliament will get a final vote on a Brexit deal.

10. notDistantGreen

Not before time. Will MP's have the nerve to vote down a bad deal though?

11. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

All pointless so it seems....if they don't vote for it....then we leave without a deal.

12. notDistantGreen

Yep, a completely hollow offer. They (the executive) must be forced to back down on this. We have a sovereign parliament, not a presidential system.

13. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

It's difficult isn't it....how can Parliament be expected to overthrow the referendum result of the people.

The most important decision for decades and we haven't got a government strong or canny enough to see it through with authority.

Our leadership should be able out gun the EU's bullying tactics played out by Michel Barnier,.....but with May's Government having "basically" lost an overall majority by going for a quick election to strengthen her "bargaining" position in Europe failing, and having now literally sold the crown jewels to get propped up by the DUP the EU thinks it can dominate terms and try to suck us dry.....how did Ted Heath get us into this mess at all....oh to be free of a Federal EU's scheming plans.

14. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I would love to know what else anyone expected with this exit. It could never be the case that the UK would just cease to be in it so therefore it was always the case there would be talks on the how and the why and the when etc. The thing about negotiation is that it 's a bit like an auction. Both sides will aim to get the best possible deal they can. That's why it's called negotiation. If you could sell you bit of tat at an auction for twice what it's worth then you would not be telling the auctioneer that it's too much would you.

No matter who was in power at the minute the situation would not be any different. Most of the MPs from all sides do not want to leave and whoever was driving this would have the same sort of grumbling and mumbling in the background. There is a part of me that wants this Government to collapse and for there to be another election. I think if there was then Jeremy Corbin would be in May's shoes after it. The thought of Jeremy driving a hard bargain with anyone is a strange thought. Not only would he completely cock it up, and I mean completely, he would have to take the blame for it as well because this is the most poisoned challace for a very very long time. We can always walk away without any deal keeps coming up. Well, we can. Not something I would recommend though because if that happens then there will be a large number of countries quite willing and waiting to screw the UK for years to come as punishment. All this bollox about they need us more than we need them is just crazy talk. At best we need each other equally but I suspect we need them just a bit more. All some of these big companies need to do is move some office equipment across the channel and with it goes a shed load of revenue and jobs. Anyone who thinks that will not happen is living somewhere else in this Universe.

The answer to your last question plym is we got ourselves into the EU by the same process that you hold so dear now. A Referendum. I remember it well because I was an election officer at BRNC Dartmouth whilst serving there. The result of that vote was overwhelming in favour and not a skin of the teeth result.

15. notDistantGreen

37% of the electorate (51.9% of a 72.2% turnout) voted for the principle of Brexit, based in large part on what was said to them about the consequences i.e. that we'd be able to retain the benefits of the Single Market, send all the foreigners home AND have £350m a week left over to spend on the NHS. None of those are going to happen.

How many would vote for 25% tariffs on everything we buy and everything we sell, going back the the customs admin and delays that might have been acceptable with the low levels of trade decades ago, no foreigners going home, a mutli-billion bill to settle and a continued need to bring them in to keep what's left of industry that hasn't decamped to Europe running? Not many I think, but that's reality.

If the outcome of the negotiations isn't as was promised by Gove, Johnson and Rees-Mogg, then we need another referendum on the terms we do get.

16. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

On the beeb news site there is a headline on an article which asks if the Robert Mugabe regime went too far. Laugh...........my ribs nearly split in two. This is the same Robert Mugabe who basically killed anyone who stood in his way for years and years. This is the Robert Mugabe who bankrupted his country and did nothing whatsoever to change anything or arrest the situation. This is the same Robert Mugabe who killed off any self sufficiency in his country by kicking out white people without any recompense at all and allowed people to just take over without having a clue what they were doing. This thing there whatever it is, they say it isn't a coup, is about 30 years too late. The only thing the bloke did was assist in the downfall of the Rhodesian appartied crap that needed bringing down. Even Mandella didn't like the bloke though despite this. It's about time somebody pulled the trigger and got rid.

17. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

This is all about leadership succession.....maybe nothing has changed for the better, for the 70% of the population on a poverty level.

Robert Mugabe 93 years old seems to have entered into a senile state and was being controlled by his second wife (50 yrs his junior) Grace Mugabe who seems to have the ability to be even worse than her husband.

She had become next in line once former Vice President Emmerson Mnangagwa had been sacked....the Military stepped in and arrested Mugabe.

Mnangagwa...known as "The Crocodile" seems to have the backing of the military...who are stating that this is not a military takeover just protecting the leadership succession....maybe nothings changed one iota for the majority...Mnangagwa in the past has been known for his atrocities in support of Mugabe's regime.

18. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

1.....The Hamleys Christmas toy parade descended into "absolute chaos" when parents started pushing and shoving and a middle-aged woman was rushed to hospital after being punched.

A "meet and greet" with the children's character Peppa Pig had to be scrapped at the last minute amid fears that youngsters would get crushed and injured at the "shambolic" event.

A crowd of around 800.000 (yes,over threequarters of a million) packed into Regent Street in central London, hoping to get a glimpse of children's favourites including Fireman Sam and Postman Pat.

But parents said it turned into a "mob mentality" as adult spectators desperately tried to propel their children to the front of the packed crowd.

Elisabeth Arricale Poyiadzis claimed her one year old daughter ended up "face down" on the ground after falling from her father's shoulders as the crowd surged. Others poured scorn on the adults who had been fighting, whose "manner and behaviour were the lowest of the low" and meant their children never got to see the much-loved Peppa.

A Metropolitan Police spokesman said officers were called shortly after 1pm on Sunday to reports of "an altercation" outside Hamleys, adding: "A woman, aged in her 50s,was punched before collapsing."

Hamleys was inundated with complaints on Twitter. The store said it was forced to shut the Peppa Pig zone after the woman was injured, adding: "We had unprecedented crowd numbers. We had to bring an ambulance in to take her out.

My thoughts.....What an appalling situation....for goodness sake Peppa Pig was only a person wearing a costume, the kids probably realized that but their parents acted as if it really was Peppa Pig <doh>.
    I started reading this article to Mrs Plym...and I must admit I started to have tears of laughter running down my face...and my imagination took over...picturing parents throwing little Johnny over the top...or pushing little Ethel through a gap and shoving her forward with their foot....I must admit I had to stop reading to wipe the tears from my eyes.....There's nothing as weird as folk.

2.....The makers of "Blue Planet 2" are watching episodes on a normal television to test sound levels following complaints about audibility. it has emerged.

The team behind the BBC show view their work on an ordinary television, in an effort to ensure sound levels work for audiences at home.

James Honeyborne, the executive producer, defended the programme against accusations its music is overpowering, using a normal television rather than a studio for final edits.

"We huddle around a TV in the corner of this huge room, and sit and listen to the finished film," he said.

My thoughts.....Wow that's ground breaking, actually listening to it in the same conditions that viewers have to....I can think of lots of previous programmes that could of benefitted from that approach......"one small step for man, one great leap for humanity"....or similar words come to mind....:D.

3.....A trainee dentist planned to become a terrorist "sleeper cell" after his brother went to Iraq to be a suicide bomber.

Mohammed Awan, 24, a Sheffield University student from Huddersfield, was caught preparing to commit an act of terrorism in the UK, a jury heard.

He was arrested days after buying 500 ball bearings and found to possess a "significant volume" of extreme material including advice on how to be a "sleeper cell" in the West,Sheffield Crown Court heard.

Awan denies three terror-related charges and one count of engaging in conduct in preparation of terrorist acts or assisting others to commit such acts, The trial continues.

My thoughts.....Now if he had been a member of a Marbles team or league he might of got away with it....but an Arab buying ball bearings does get noticed.

19. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

1.....A moped "smash and grab" gang have been found guilty of 17 raids on mobile phone shops.
    The men stole phones, tablet computers and caused damage worth more than £1million using hammers, knives, a gun and a fencing post.
    They hit outlets belonging to Three mobile in the early hours and threatened to shoot security guards who got in their way. Gang members are now facing jail after a Metropolitan Police inquiry called Operation Vocare.

Courtney White, 22, the ringleader, Mominar Rahman,22, Mohammed Hussain, 24, and Chang Mabiala, 22, were yesterday convicted of conspiracy to commit aggravated burglary at Blackfrairs Crown Court.
    Youssef Kaissouni, 46, was cleared of handling stolen goods, Bobby Kennedy, 22, and Chris Costi, 19, were found guilty of conspiracy to commit aggravated burglary after a trial at the court in August. Three others including Bobby's brother Alfie Kennedy,20, Dylan Castano-Lopez, 19, ans Adam Atallah, 21, all admitted their part.

My thoughts.....If any of them haven't got UK passports then they should be thrown out of the UK.

2.....A retired bank manager has had his account closed at the branch he used to run after being accused of "unacceptable behaviour" to staff.
    Geoff Wright,79, found himself barred from his local NatWest after going there to withdraw holiday money. Staff refused to allow his request because they said the account he was using was in his wife's name.

He complained to managers at the branch in MIDSOMER NORTON, Somerset - but then got an email saying his account was being closed because of his "disruptive behaviour". The bank which Mr Wright worked for almost 40 years from 1955 also accused him of a "pattern of prolonged unacceptable behaviour towards staff ". Mr Wright said: " I've spoken my mind but I haven't upset staff."

He has also complained to the Financial Ombudsman about the incident. NatWest said: "Mr Wright has taken his case to the Financial Ombudsman service who have advised him that NatWest is entitled to close his account.

My thoughts.....Where is Barnaby when you need him, even though no one has been murdered yet.

3.....Brussels has removed five UK cities from the race to be the next European Capital of Culture because of Brexit. Dundee, Nottingham, Leeds, Milton Keynes and Belfast/Derry were all bidding to host the event in 2023 but the European Commission said "the participation of the UK in the European Capital of Culture will not be possible".

Plans for the UK to have its turn to host a capital of culture were made in 2014, two years before the referendum. The UK government had warned that bidding cities should be aware that the title could be subject to the outcome of the Brexit negotiations,

The decision drew a furious response from the candidate cities. They were especially angered because non-EU cities in countries such as Norway and Iceland have held the hour.

My thoughts.....EU making up the rules as they go along.....you've got to punish the UK anyway you can....no chance of a fair Brexit deal.

20. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

POLITICAL CORRECTNESS GOES MAD.

A mother wants her son's school to ban children's classic Sleeping Beauty because the slumbering princess does not give her consent to be kissed.

Sarah Hall says the fairytale sends an "inappropriate" message to young children because it reinforces the notion that it is acceptable for men to kiss women while they are asleep.

But the PR executive's demands sparked an angry backlash last night. Chris McGovern, Chairman of the Campaign for Real Education, said: "The prince is resuscitating her with a kiss of life". Are we going to teach children not to try to save somebody ? Far from banning fairytales I would make them compulsory in all schools as they display wisdom that has been passed down through the ages.

"And as for the politically correct lobby, the story is actually about a man overcoming an evil female to bring goodness to the world, so would be something they should celebrate, not try to ban.........article continues.....Daily Express 24/11/2017.

My thoughts.....is there no depths PC cannot reach to destroy our dreams of life.