1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Our World Today

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Jun 25, 2017.

1. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

1.....An artillery shell that had been used as a doorstop for 40 years prompted a bomb scare after its owner brought it into a police station.

A man strolled into Heavitree Police Station in Exeter, Devon, yesterday morning with the shell in a carrier bag.

He told officers he had been using it as a doorstop but wanted to get rid of it because it was too rusty.

The Royal Navy bomb disposal unit in Plymouth was called to investigate but quickly established it had already been diffused.

Devon and Cornwall Police said the man brought the device in as part of a force-wide weapons amnesty.

My thoughts.....I wouldn't mind betting there is the odd one or two still being used as doorstops that haven't been diffused. Just imagine slamming the door with a bang, taking on a whole new meaning.

2.....Electronic life has "wiped out books" because adults prefer to check their emails and smartphones to picking up a paperback while on the move, Dame Jacqueline Wilson has said.

The children's author said she found it "sad" to see adults are not reading as much as they used to, claiming she was often the only one on a train journey holding a book.

Dame Jacqueline, who has written more than 100 books, said while children still had a huge appetite for reading , thanks in part to encouragement from their schools, adults increasingly appeared to prefer their smartphones.

" I find it sad that adults aren't reading as much," she told the BBC.

The former children's laureate was last night honoured with a special award at the British Academy Childrens ceremony for her contribution to literacy and love of reading.

My thoughts.....good job I buck the trend....I would have to decorate my office/third bedroom walls if you could see them with no books stacked there.

3.....A pensioner required surgery after a dentist dropped a metal file down his throat during a root canal treatment.

Alexander Hoar, 74, had the one inch long metal and plastic file stuck in his throat for several hours before surgeons could remove it.

By the time he made his way to hospital, the metal file had dropped into his stomach.

Surgeons had to put an endoscopy tube and pincer down his throat to seize the file and pull it out.

Mr Hoar, who is bringing a claim for compensation against the dental practice in Penzance, Cornwall, said he was overwhelmed with "absolute terror" as " all hell broke loose".

Mr Hoar, of Penzance, said: It was traumatic. All I could hear was the dentist saying ' Alex, Alex, I'm sorry'.

"I've tried to go back for treatment since it happened but every time I go into a dentist I cry, It's embarrassing.

A spokesman for Bupa Penzance Dental Care Practice, then called Oasis Dental Practice, said: Our team acted quickly to make sure Mr Hoar received medical attention. We launched an investigation and we've reviewed our practice procedures to help prevent it happening again.

My thoughts.....I see they've changed their name from "OASIS Dental Practice"....sounds a good move personally.

4.....Patient safety is being put at risk because inexperienced doctors are left to man accident and emergency units without support from senior colleagues, the medical regulator has said.

Trainees at NHS hospitals have to "fend for themselves" in A&E and other units, according to the General Medical Council (GMC).

Trainee doctors are being asked to treat patients and make decisions beyond their abilities, creating "very clear risks to patients from doctors who may not know what they're doing", Charlie Massey, the chief executive of the GMC, told the Guardian Newspaper.

In one instance, a foundation-year doctor called three times for help from senior colleagues while she was working in the resuscitation unit, but received no support and had to make decisions herself, the GMC's survey found. In another A&E department, junior doctors were said to be displaying symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder.

Last year, a Daily Telegraph investigation found that A&E departments were being run with no consultants present for more than 40% of the time.

In some units, the most senior person on duty was a junior doctor who had only finished medical school the year before, Freedom of Information data showed.

My thoughts.....Wow, how to empty A&E units....only the very brave go to start with, and those that do might be healed or maybe not....if you know what I mean.

2. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

The Home Office is struggling to "get a grip" on the number of migrants entering the UK illegally every year, the immigration watchdog has said.

David Bolt, chief inspector of borders and immigration, told MP's there should be an official estimate for the figure but said it was "extremely difficult" to be precise about how many overseas nationals were in Britain unlawfully. Earlier this year, a former immigration chief claimed the figure was likely to run to more than a million.

The Home Office insists there are no official estimates of the number of illegal immigrants living in the UK.

Asked about the one million figure as he appeared before the Commons home affairs committee, he said: "I have no basis on which to reach a number...I would have to rely on the Home Office to give me a number".

He told the committee the Home Office should be able to get "very close" to an understanding of the difference between numbers of migrants known to have arrived and left.

He continued: "Then there are those that arrive clandestinely, of which they have no knowledge unless there's some encounter with those individuals. Obviously that number is much harder to get a grip on.

"Yes, I think there ought to be a better idea, an estimate if you like, of what that number is, the Home Office should have some better estimate, but it would be extremely difficult to be precise."

Mr Bolt's comments came after a border workers' union boss claimed illegal immigrants in Britain could "survive very well" and had very little chance of being caught.

Lucy Moreton, general secretary of the Immigration Service Union, told 'The Sun' newspaper "If you are here illegally, you can survive very well, you access medical services, your child can go to school, the chances of us catching you are very, very slim".

Official statisticians have said it is impossible to quantify accurately the number of people in the UK unlawfully. Twelve years ago, a Home Office assessment.put the number of unauthorised migrants in the UK in 2001 at 430,000 - while a report published this year by the think tank Civitus suggested illegal immigration was running at a minimum of 150,000 a year.......Daily Telegraph 30/11/2017.

My thoughts.....So our immigration control is no better than a "sieve filtering sand".....We so need a fit for purpose "Immigration Control Service".
    At the end of the day we are an island of moderate size with a population heading for 70 million...soaking up immigrants legal or illegal at an alarming rate.
    The worrying thing is we do not seem to be vetting who is allowed in.....undesirables are coming in without any obvious vetting....the SE of England is becoming overcrowded, reports of eastern europeans living under motorways and causing high criminal activity seems to be the norm....Thousands of women supplying the sex trade are being smuggled in and living in a slave style environment. What has become the norm in central London is now filtering through to the greater London suburbs. Many immigrants are working in the "black" economy, undetected by officialdom and congregate in rather "noticeable groups".....but our thinly stretched police force have no way of counteracting what is going on in this country.

Politically we are in a mess...our Conservative Government is not in control of anything....and are on the verge of capitulating to the excessive demands of a Federal EU who expect us to do all the giving....lets just get it over with and become our own masters...and hopefully find some damn leadership.

3. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

You were told this would happen. We have the choice of paying up or decimating British industry. You choose.

4. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Send in the armed forces, round them up and deport! Also very shocked the UK people let this happen without demonstrating accept for Britain First. Remember the Poll Tax riots it was sorted. All this 'PC' over the past twenty years in schools and the homes etc has turned most of our younger generation into right whimps seemingly.
    Just glad I'm not born today!

5. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

My brother-in-law and his Mrs voted for brexit. This is the couple who object strongly to basically johnny foreigner coming over here to take all of the jobs and houses and everything else. This is also the couple who had chosen to live in France for the previous 10 years or more having bought a house there. No concept of then being Johnny foreigner themselves and living in a country that wasn't their's of origin. They came back because Mrs was not well and was getting older. Oh and the good old NHS of course. A friend of my wife's landlord lived in Spain for donkeys years again until recently when he required numerous operations for a medical condition. He then came back and voted brexit because of, yes you've guessed it, all the bloody johnny foreigners who have come here to live. Again no concept of him being one for years elsewhere. I would now ask where you live and work hp-bedoboy? Have the Army been round recently?

6. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Live overseas and retired and fortunate to have private medical insurance which I paid for and still pay voluntary NHS insurance to cover me if needed in UK. I know how people feel but immigrants and illegal immigrants living in style fed and watered etc and demanding their religious beliefs is a no no.

7. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Live overseas and retired and fortunate to have private medical insurance which I paid for and still pay voluntary NHS insurance to cover me if needed in UK. I know how people feel but immigrants and illegal immigrants living in style fed and watered etc and demanding their religious beliefs is a no no.

8. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

If these people are illegal immigrants then it follows logically that nobody knows how many they are. If they could count them then they would know where they were coming in, where they were and have a chance of catching them all. I find that people come up with a guestimate when it suits with no real idea. Like when people use that "it's 95% of ............(whatever)" as if that is a definate figure that should not be challenged. It's just bollox. That man plym is quoting has no idea at all and as good as says so before quoting his made up figures.

A lot of people come here to work and strangely enough do work. They pay their taxes like everyone else and whatever religion they want to follow is ok with me. I don't follow one at all but that doesn't mean I don't respect others rights to do so. The people I quoted above paid no taxes in the UK for a very long time to support the NHS or anything else. The landlord chap came back and had 2 operations whilst resident in Spain and the Sister-in-law had several also whilst living in France. It's ok though because they are British by origin. Whilst they were undergoing their ops they were no doubt looked after by a number of those bleddy foreign types and were grateful for it at the time. Take all the immigrants away, legal or illegal and some businesses will close. That will be because the locals won't do the work even if they are without a job. Bit of a catch22 situation really. I have some sympathy with not having illegal immigrants if possible but not with the have no immigrants at all concept. There again, if your life was a bag of **** and there were much better prospects over the water I wonder if you would make attempts to get there. I reckon most of us would.

9. notDistantGreen

No logic to it Sensible: I have a brother-in-law permanently leaving in Spain, a cousin in law (must be a proper name for that) in Ireland and a niece in law in France. My father in law, now deceased voted Leave and was a virulent Brexiteer on the basis of "too many foreigners". Does that make any sense to you? It doesn't to me.

10. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

It's the hypocracy of it all that I don't get notdistant. These people merrily living in somebody else's country were allowed to vote and chose to vote out on the basis of too many people living in "their" country. You couldn't make it up could you. They didn't want to live here but objected to some who did want to. The only conclusion is that it was done on purely racist views and nothing else. The vote was about a thousand things but in reality boiled down to one. Sadly it was the one that should have been on the bottom of the consideration list.

11. notDistantGreen

It's all coming apart at the seams.

Despite the fact there's now going to be a whacking great divorce payment that will burden the Treasury for years, I can't see how the Irish border question is going to be resolved. Either there has to be a border between the Republic and the North, which is impractical, or between the North and mainland UK, which is unacceptable to the Unionist majority. Either could bring the Troubles back and/or see the North leave the UK. If Northern Ireland gets special treatment, Scotland will demand it too, so the rot spreads. All very predictable but with the RoI now having a veto on the EU negotiations, it looks very bad.

12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

My view is (sorry folks)...who do you want to rule your country....do you want it ruled from London by a UK Government....or do you want it ruled from Brussels by other people who want to form a Federal United States of Europe with a court of law that can over ride UK law decisions.

13. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

I couldn't vote myself as been out of the country for the limit I believe was over 8 yrs. Yes I would have voted brexit if was allowed for the fear of one religion that will dominate one day which is evil, I still have family and friends there. If European people want to live and work fine but the others just want benefits and cause problems whilst some of our veterans are on the streets.
    Read an article years back and the government makes a lot of money out of expats due to the fact that there earnings were greater and banked more cash which banks then get there 200% and give us 1.5% interest for example. Certainly true with contract workers overseas that have full benefits etc which are fortunate enough to be able to bank 80/90% of their salaries. Suppose in a way they do contribute something.

14. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

There is no such thing as an evil religion but only evil people using it for their own gain. I'm not even religious at all but don't object to those that are practicing their's. Each to their own and tollerance to all of them. brexit will NOT stop illegal immigration in this country. It will stop or almost stop non illegal immigration though. If you can't see why holding those views whilst living in somebody else's country is hypocracy well then there is no point in explaining it from my perspective.

Plym, you carry on with your deluded view of it all as much as you like. We will still be dictated to by other nations long after leaving the EU. The reason we will though is because we will be bankrupt and won't have any pull anywhere anymore. The big boys will always rule whether you like it or not. Trouble is it will be too late when the penny finally drops.

15. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

1.....The man who could be Germany's vice-chancellor within weeks yesterday called for the European Union to transform itself into a "United States of Europe.

Martin Schulz, the leader of the German Social Democratic Party (SPD), called for a new federal constitution for the EU by 2025.

Hours before his party voted to open talks on forming a new coalition with the beleaguered Angela Merkel, Mr Schulz made clear he would demand radical EU reform and far deeper integration than previously envisaged as his price for ending weeks of political crises in Germany.

"I want a new constitutional treaty to establish the United States of Europe. A Europe that is no threat to its member states, but a beneficial addition." he said in a speech at his party conference.

Under Mr Schulz's proposals, Brussels would be given power over individual member states' foreign and domestic policy, as well as taxes.

Countries who refuse to sign up to a new federal Europe should automatically lose their EU membership, he said.

A deal with Mr Schulz's party is Mrs Merkel's last chance to prevent new elections after coalition negotiations with smaller parties broke down last month.

Urging delegates to vote in favour of talks with Mrs Merkel's Christian Democrats (CDU), Mr Schultz said he would make a "complete turnaround in Germany's European policy" a central condition of any deal.

But Mrs Merkel lost no time in rejecting Mr Schultz's proposals for a federal Europe, ruling them out before delegates had even finished voting.

"I believe the ability to act now is the priority, not setting long term goals," she said. Greater cooperation between EU members was more important than drawing up a new constitutions and taking power from members, she argued.

"We have to be economically strong, we need to work better together in the field of defence. We must pursue a common foreign policy, a common development policy, to be taken seriously as a continent or as a European Union."

The threat of new German elections receded yesterday after the SPD voted in favour of " open-ended talks".

Negotiations are not expected to begin until January, and the options of a new coalition and the SPD supporting a Merkel-led minority government both remain on the table.

Mr Schultz's speech marked a dramatic attempt to seize back the initiative after he was forced to back down over his earlier refusal to open talks with Mrs Merkel by a rebellion in his parliamentary party.

A former president of the European parliament and committed federalist, he appears to have seized on Europe as a central cause for the SPD after it suffered its worst ever election result.

His proposals are a bid to put himself and Germany alongside Emmanuel Macron as standard bearers for a Europe of ever closer union.

It is a move that will pit France and Germany against central European countries. While the EU maintains a united front over Brexit, there are deep divisions between east and west over the handling of the migration crisis and the state of the rule of law and democracy in Hungary and Poland.

Mr Schultz acknowledged as much in his speech, accusing Poland of "systematically undermining European values", and saying Hungary was "increasingly isolating itself ".

Once drafted , a new federal constitution would be "presented to member states, and those that our against it will simply leave the EU," he said.

The EU's uneasy relationship with Hungary, Poland and the Czech Republic sunk to a new low yesterday as Brussels said it would take them to the European Court of Justice (ECJ) for refusing to accept the bloc's imposed quotas of migrants.

EU countries agreed to redistribute 120,000 asylum seekers from Italy and Greece in 2015. The three countries, outvoted over the compulsory law, now face huge, daily fines unless they take their share.

My thoughts.....How much longer will Angela Merkel hold power in Germany ?.....things will change from her "central ground stance".....If Emmanuelle Macron became the strongman of the EU...then everything Martin Schultz believes in could come to fruition and the US of Europe will come into being.

What good would it do for the ECJ to fine penniless (or euroless) Greece on a daily basis for not accepting migrants...just means Germany will lend them money to add to Greece's colossal debt.

Getting out of the EU becomes more and more a great move....it does sound that there will become second-class states in Europe one day.

2.....Dozens of turkeys destined for the Christmas table made a break for it along the M5 after a trailer overturned. A vehicle transporting 640 birds was involved in a collision near a busy junction in Worcestershire, which allowed about 30 birds to escape.

A police spokesman confirmed that some of the turkeys died in the incident at J5, at around 10am yesterday. A spokesman for the RSPCA said: "The RSPCA were called by Highways England to assist at a crash in Worcestershire after as trailer containing more than 600 turkeys sadly overturned.

"We sent two inspectors to the scene to assist and they stayed at the scene until a vet arrived.

My thoughts.....We can confirm that no stuffing at all was used during this incident.

16. notDistantGreen

Meanwhile, in the real world, astonishingly, the Government has stated not just that it won't publish quantitative analyses of the impact of Brexit on key industry sectors (financial services, pharmaceuticals, aerospace, automotive) but that it hasn't done them.

Quite how it can negotiate without knowing what's at stake financially is hard to imagine but presumably it's a question they don't want to know the answer to themselves, let alone tell us.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  17. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

A Mother who rushed her baby to A&E when he stopped breathing claims she was told to "sit down and wait your turn" by a receptionist.

But Daveanah Cowie ignored the request and found a doctor who resuscitated son Tommy-Lee and put him on a life-support machine.

The 21-year-old mum of five says the seven-week-old twin 'could have died' if she had not acted quickly.

' I took Tommy-Lee to hospital because he was poorly and I notice as I got out of my vehicle that he was not breathing,' she said.

' I rushed him through the doors in a panic and asked the receptionist to get him help immediately. Instead of finding a doctor she decided to take my details and told me to sit down and wait my turn. I just can't believe how anyone could be that irresponsible.'

Tommy-Lee, who was taken to Royal Derby Hospital on November 27th, is slowly recovering from bronchitis. alongside his twin brother Arlow-Jack, who also has the lung infection.

Miss Cowie, of Alvaston, Derbyshire, said she told the doctors what had happened and was advised the receptionist ' probably needs more training' . ' I haven't received an apology,' she said. 'My baby's life was at risk,'

A spokeswoman for Derby Teaching Hospitals said: 'Thanks to our highly skilled emergency team, the baby received appropriate care. We were concerned that a receptionist failed to immediately recognise the serious nature of this situation, as this is highly unusual for our dedicated staff.

'We immediately started an investigation and are reviewing the training we give to reception staff. We are also happy to meet Miss Cowie to explain the steps we have taken.

My thoughts.....If this story is true.....what "extra" training does a receptionist need, when told by a panicking mother that her baby had stopped breathing.....I find it hard to understand how 'sitting down and wait your turn' and 'taking her details' was preferred before getting a doctor immediately for a baby that had stopped breathing.....I assume the paperwork was done in triplicate using the appropriate carbon paper.

PS.....21 year old with five children wow ?

18. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

1.....Two teenagers have died after they were found unconscious in a night club. police have said.
    Detectives from Devon and Cornwall Police said they believed the two 19-year-olds were part of a larger group who had taken what they thought was the drug MDMA, known as Ecstacy.
    The Force said that it was alerted by paramedics at around 1.40am yesterday that two men were unconscious at Pryzm nightclub in Plymouth. Both were taken to Derriford Hospital where they later died. The Force said that an 18-year-old man was in custody and awaited questioning to the incident.

My thoughts.....What a tragic ending to a night out.....doesn't the night clubs security keep an eye on what's going on, their 'experience' should recognize the signs ?.
    These two were already unconscious when discovered...why was it the paramedics that alerted the police and not the night club staff....that's assuming that the staff had control of what goes on at their club....other than counting their takings.

2.....Singer-songwriter Chris Rea was " in a stable condition" in hospital last night after collapsing on stage.
    The 'Driving Home For Christmas' star, 66, was 45 minutes into a show at the New Theatre, Oxford, when he fell backwards.
    Darren Fewins, who was in the audience with his wife, said: "He had the guitar in his hand and kept shaking his left hand as if there was something not quite right with it. He took three or four steps backwards, then he just collapsed. He was on his back for about two minutes before they brought the curtain down".
    Rea suffered a stroke last year close to the end of a 37-date tour.

My thoughts.....Not a good sign having problems in your left arm....is it another stroke ?.....I regularly played Chris Rea in the car.

19. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Is it safe playing a guitar whilst driving Plym?

Bit unfair to put any blame on the club for 2 youngsters popping pills plym (glad I typed that and didn't have to say it). If they want to take drugs they will take drugs. These pills aren't a foot long with a beacon on the top they are small things that anyone could hide anywhere on them. The idiots in this are the kids themselves even if I do have some sympathy for their families left behind. The first thing the club did was call the Medics which is right not knowing what was wrong in the first place. When the Medics discovered what the problem was they did the right thing and called the law. To be fair I can't see what any of them did wrong.

Sadly this won't be the last death from taking drugs. The problems the authorities have is that the experience kids get from taking the stuff is not the same as being described by the near retirement copper who visited their school to tell them of the dangers. The vast majority pop it and have a good time with no ill effects. They may do it 20 or 30 times and it's the same outcome. Then along comes one batch which is lethal. Too late then unfortunately. My point is though that you cannot educate youngsters by sending an old bloke along who has no connection with the generation at all. If you want them to listen then you need to send somebody they can connect with. Somebody who speaks the language of the young. I went on a course once when working for Housing. It was about the ills of drugs and effects on an area . The course was attended by nobody under 50 who all thought drug taking was a bad thing in the first place. Basically nobody learned a damn thing.

20. notDistantGreen

The defect that causes the neurodegenerative disease Huntington's has been corrected in patients for the first time. An experimental drug, injected into spinal fluid, safely lowered levels of toxic proteins in the brain. The research team, at University College London, say there is now hope the deadly disease can be stopped.

Experts say it could be the biggest breakthrough in neurodegenerative diseases for 50 years. Prof Sarah Tabrizi, the lead researcher and director of the Huntington's Disease Centre at UCL said:

"For the first time we have the potential, we have the hope, of a therapy that one day may slow or prevent Huntington's disease. This is of groundbreaking importance for patients and families."

Bloody foreigners.