1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Our World Today

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Jun 25, 2017.

1. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

I see Trump agreed a communique following the G7 summit, at which he was in a minority of 1 in wanting Russia re-admitted.

Then, once in the air, rescinded his agreement.

Probably got a call from Putin....

Sent from my mobile phone - E&OE

2. notDistantGreen

Also a big story in the Times today, emanating from PRO Brexit journo Isabel Oakeshott, linking Arron Banks, bankroller of Farage's Brexit group, and Russian figures, including the Russian ambassador, Putin's envoy Alexander Yakovenko and Alexander Udod, one of the "diplomats" expelled after the Salisbury poisoning.

Blandishments were offered in the form of participation in the consolidation of Russian goldmines.

Banks, along with Farage, were at Trump's election night party...

Those Russkies are everywhere!

3. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

There'll be a few in Moscow Thursday....could of sworn I saw Putin in Farage's local not far from here recently.

4. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I even found one under my bed. Ruskies everywhere indeed. The Missus denied any knowledge and even said she didn't see him when she hoovered.

5. notDistantGreen

The CBI boss has said sections of UK industry face extinction if the UK does not stay in some sort if customs union post Brexit.

Car firm bosses had come to him saying that the sector would suffer unless there was frictionless trade.

Paul Dreschler said there was zero evidence trade deals outside the UK would provide any economic benefit. He blamed a tidal wave of ideology for the flawed approach.

6. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

1.....Spotted Dick has long been a source of Amusement for diners.....but now seems to be so much so that waiters in the Houses of Parliament dare not say the name of the pudding out loud.
    The Daily Telegraph has learnt that staff working in Strangers' Dining Room, the 19th-century restaurant used by MP's to entertain guests, have resorted to using the name "Spotted Richard" in order to spare the clientele their blushes. Four staff waiting on tables in the restaurant confirmed the name change when approached last night. They were less forthcoming when asked for an explanation, stating only that "Richard" was less likely to cause a stir with guests.(part of a longer article).

My thought's.....Spotted...Dickheads......:rolleyes:.

2.....The national number of rail passenger journeys has fallen for the first time since 2010.
    About 1.7billion train journeys were taken in 2017/18, down by 1.4 % on the previous 12 months, according to new Office of Rail and Road data.
    The decline was driven by a record fall of 2.1 % in the London and South East region, which makes up more than two thirds of all journeys.
    Britain's busiest franchise, Govia Thameslink Railway, saw a fall of almost two million journeys amid industrial disputes, staffing issues and planned cancellations.

My thought's.....The new timetables that came out recently have certainly "curtailed" the numbers for the coming period....with train times changed and in the end thousands of train cancellations. Management have ways of stopping damn passengers travelling just as well as staff disputes can....we can do anything you can....dahdah dah ...da dah.

3.....A new strain of bird flu that has killed 38% of people it has infected in China has been identified by the deputy chief medical officer for England as the most likely source of a worldwide flu pandemic. Scientists are on high alert for what the World Health Organisation has dubbed "Disease X" ....newly emerging pathogens that could prove as destructive as the 1918 Spanish flu which killed 50-100 million. So far 623 people in China have died.

My thoughts.....that's worrying China already export to us literally everything we have....we don't need this item thank you.

7. notDistantGreen

That's handy. I've been feeling like s**t for 3 days with flu like symptoms, thought it was hay fever given very high pollen level. I haven't been to China but I have eaten Chinese food. Does that count?

8. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Have you made a will.....<yikes>.

9. notDistantGreen

I've left it all to the cat on the understanding I get a refund in return for 2 Dreamies if I do manage to find a way to make a come back.

10. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Brexit, say its least reasonable critics, was a vote for intolerance. If so, how do they explain Britain's generous citizenship offer to EU nationals living in the UK?
    They will be given the right to settle and the Government's default position will be to grant, not refuse, applications. All that's required is ID, proof that they live in Britain and to declare if they have any criminal record. On that last point, the Government must proceed with care. The proposed system could contain the loophole that crimes committed abroad won't be automatically detected, possibly leading to citizenship for hardened offenders.
    The overall application figure is expected to be very large indeed: approaching four million, which is higher than previously anticipated because the Home Office does not know precisely how many Europeans are living in the country. This is an indictment of how poorly managed the system has been. Yes, EU nationals can move freely and thus individual governments are under little obligation to keep track of them, but Britain in general does a bad job at counting those entering and leaving the country...and whatever new migration regime is established after Brexit, it must be fair, transparent and properly policed.
    The Government also needs to point out when at the negotiating table that Britain has been more generous to European citizens than Brussels has been to ours: EU member states have nor published concrete plans for looking after British expats. At the start of the Brexit process, EU leaders blocked a proposal for a like-for-like amnesty for British expats and EU migrants in the UK. In the next few years, perhaps Britain will teach Brussels a lesson or two in openness and generosity.

Daily Telegraph comment.

My thoughts.....The EU and openness and generosity... do not go together in my view ever.

11. notDistantGreen

Not a vote for intolerance? Have a look at the front page of today's Daily Mail then.

People living with their own families? Disgraceful.

upload_2018-6-22_13-21-19.png

12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Daily Mail is a right wing intolerant rag....unpleasant agenda at all times.

13. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

What a bunch of lilly livered **** sticks some of our MPs are. They are all more interested in their own welfare and future than they are about the country they live in. They campaigned for this country to leave the EU and now they bottle the discussions that would lead to that conclusion. I wouldn't piss on Boris if he was on fire he absolutely gets right up my nose. Watch this space because more of the fecking rats will join in the exodus. If I was May I'd call an election. Let the Labour party back in and let them feck up Brexit completely.

14. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Theresa May has bottled Brexit.....we're leaving and still shackeled to the EU....17 million people never voted for that.

15. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

That would be the 17 million who didn't have a clue what Brexit meant before they voted would it? Lets be honest about this. There was absolutely no information on anything to do with getting out of Europe and what it would mean before during and whilst the vote was on. The only "fact" produced was that the NHS would be quids in by hundreds of millions per week. With all due respect plym you voted to get rid of immigrants and possibly to get laws passed by the UK for the UK. You did not sit down and think how it may affect jobs, wealth or investment in this country or, if to continue to trade with our current partners how much we would still have to give up. Did anyone tell you there would be a divorce bill? I never heard it mentioned once. Did anyone tell you jobs and income might be lost? Nope. All they went on about was immigration and the NHS cash. When it came to the vote the option was stay or go. The vote was made without any real facts to advise anyone.

The man who was "negotiating" Brexit is one who has now bailed out. If the negotiations were not to his liking he should have done that long ago and backed his convictions then. Boris is another of the same ilk. The only reason they have done it now is for their own opportunism with both having an eye on 10 Downing Street and living there. Corbyn has done nothing at all during the pre referendum vote and has done nothing since. He doesn't have to with little posh tory boys fagging each other. Nobdoy is ever going to come away with a good result in this for the UK. Whoever is at the helm is going to run the ship aground so if I were May I'd just resign, draw my pension for life and let the wannabes go down with their sinking ship. They are just too stupid to even see it coming.

16. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

David Cameron had no idea what he was doing when he got us into this....and then ran away when it went against him.

I voted to not be governed by the EU....so that we could trade with who we wanted....not to be told who we could or couldn't by the EU.

To control our own borders and allow in those that we need to grow our economy....and to be able to refuse entry to those who would not benefit this country....and there is a lot of those wandering around bleeding the system.

I'd vote the same again.... knowing what we now know.....even more so than before....the EU need us more than we need them.....they sell more to us than we sell to them.

17. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

True Cameron thought it was a given we would stay and he had nothing to lose by shutting up Farage and his cronies. It went wrong and he couldn't stay after that which is why he left not ran away.

Did anyone tell you that you just couldn't trade with who you wanted to if you voted out? According to statements the US aren't exactly busting a gut to trade and nor are a few others. The EU now won't have to if they don't want to so where is the choice?

The control our own borders bit is the immigration I spoke of previously. The NHS is struggling now due to all the people going home or not coming to fill the posts. So much for the NHS benefiting. No extra cash from leaving and half the staff disappearing. Half the people who grow stuff to feed us without importing it can't get enough people to pick the fruit and veg. The locals whose economy it is don't want to work there and would rather just draw a few quid doing nothing. Oh hang on that's brits wandering around bleeding the system. Lets not go there so moving on.....................

The facts are that you still know very little to cast a meaningful vote. I'm not pretending I am an expert and you know nothing. I don't have enough information either. If it was spelt out in proper facts rather than propaganda lies then even I might vote to leave. The EU do not need us more than the other way around. To believe that is just plain arrogance and the thought that somehow we are "Great" Britain rather than the "little" Britain we have become. They will still sell us more regardless of any agreement because we don't make anything anymore. We provide services in the main and that is going to end up in Paris or Berlin because the World will know we no longer have access to the European countries.

18. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

Its a total **** up. there is not one so called MP who is any use. As you say as long as they are ok **** us.

Its been a mess from the day it was started, i am a remainder but the ones who voted out never understood what we would get as much as the ones that wanted to stay.

I am sick of it all now.

Scrap the whole welfare system to start and that will get the lazy fat bastards off their arses.

19. notDistantGreen

Well if I say I told you so, what I really mean is that I just repeated what very well regarded economists and businessmen were saying all along. Brexit has already been an unmitigated economic disaster with the pound nosediving, import prices rocketing, investment essential to improve our poor productivity cut and growth falling well behind the rest of the world. It will get much worse if there's a hard Brexit. Unlike the £350m a week, this never was a lie and the facts are proving it.

It was also said the EU would take a very hard line for its own political ends and that Britain lacked the resources and expertise to carry out the Brexit negotiations and obtain trade agreements elsewhere. Both those things are proving to be true.

What wasn't predicted 2 years ago was a Trump White House. That comb-over moron is leaving the UK following his brief visit here to meet Putin. It's obvious not only that he's no believer in free trade, which comes at a very bad time for us, but also he's no believer in a rules-based global system. Instead of the UN, the WTO, NATO, Paris climate change treaty and the UN Human Rights Council, Trump thinks he, Putin and Xi Jinping can carve up the world between them on the basis of brute strength, military and economic. It's not a time to be afloat in a very small boat in a very large and very stormy sea.

20. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

Hope fully that freak trump takes his son Boris back with him to visit putin .. :emoticon-0147-emo: