1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Our World Today

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Jun 25, 2017.

1. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Exeter based airline Flybe has put itself up for sale citing the direct effects on travel of Brexit and Brexit's indirect impact in lowering the value of Sterling on its fuel costs.

Flybe has 2,400 employees, of whom 1,000 work its headquarters and maintenance base at Exeter airport. They are likely to be most at risk.

Sent from my mobile phone - E&OE

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  2. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It seems that the back-stop for everything that is going wrong is.....blame Brexit....it's the easy way out.

3. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Pound sterling traded at a five month high against the Euro....(Bank of England....14/11/2018) todays comment....stop the scaremongering please, support the UK if you can.....Flybe looking for excuses....so use good old Brexit for a kicking.....and fuel prices for when.....did they trade for fuel what six months ago or when...certainly not now.

4. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

High pound then low exports. Need pound not to rise too much. I'm not scaremongering I genuinely believe that Britain will be in the financial **** if we leave. The signs are threre for all to see except those who are trying to justify their original vote. It is they that are looking to blame everything else and not themselves for dropping this Country you need to support in the mire.

5. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

Sort it all out you Guys it effects my UK Pension.

6. notDistantGreen

Two ministers resign this Thursday morning, including Dominic Raab. Make a well known phrase from the following.

Rats. Sinking. Leave. Ship

7. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Now four...maybe more to come.

8. notDistantGreen

Calls for a government of national unity. Best joke I've heard in ages. Corbyn and the Ulster Unionists presumably. Tin hats ON.

9. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Didn't know whether to post on this thread or It's a Mad Mad World. That one somehow seems more appropriate. How can a man who sits around a negotiating table and brings back a deal now resign because he doesn't believe in it? The rats are running around in a frenzie right now all salivating over their next job in Downing Street. I genuinely believe that is all they have been looking at since day one of this. Not one of them comes out with any glory in any of the parties. Except the one person who has at least tried to stick to the vote and it's outcome and been shafted both at home and in Europe. If I was Mrs May I would call and election and then retire. Right now. I may not think she is the best PM ever but at least she has some principals. I heard one of our local Labour MPs last might condemn the document he hadn't even seen. Good old Ben Bradshaw. Plym pointed out the other day that the Pound had risen. Well it hasn't now and nor has the Market. No deal and the abyse anyone?

10. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

It is being said that Olly Robbins Mrs May's chief Downing Street mandarin has been Mrs May's No1 Brexit advisor.

He has lead the negotiations, sidelining first David Davis & then Dominic Raab the recognized Brexit Ministers to a position of being literally his brief case carriers.

11. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Funny how they all have something to say now isn't it. When David Davis resigned it was never said then. Of course they could all be scared of Theresa and her handbag. They are a complete spineless bunch of garbage all of them. None of the parties can put aside any differences for the sake of the Electorate for one minute. Never mind what's good or bad for the Country lets all worry about little ole me. I may get to a stage now where I refuse to vote for anyone again.

12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

UK BACK-UP POWER SCHEME FROZEN BY ECJ.

A EUROPEAN Court ruling has thrown the UK's energy security into disarray by ordering the immediate halt to a £1bn scheme designed to keep Britain's lights on.

The cornerstone energy security scheme has come to an abrupt standstill after the European Union's Court of Justice ruled that the UK should not be allowed to pay power plants to stay open.

The shock ruling wiped hundreds of millions of pounds from the UK's largest listed energy companies yesterday and threatens to bring a return of energy market price spikes over the winter.

Meanwhile, experts fear the clampdown could dash hopes for new investment in power plants in the future.

Daily Telegraph article continues......16/11/2018.

My thoughts.....40 odd years ago we joined the EEC...now it has turned into the overbearing juggernaut that has become the EU.

13. notDistantGreen

I don't see the need to blame individuals, with the exception of David Cameron.

Otherwise a decent PM, he was the idiot who allowed a referendum and worse a referendum in which a 1 vote majority was enough to force a whole country into the biggest decision since 1939.

The EU were crystal clear that they would not allow the purity of the EU constitution to be compromised by "cherry picking " and that's exactly what they've done.

All of the bluster from the Leavers about how the EU would be falling over themselves to accommodate us has turned out to be precisely the BS half of us knew it was at the time.

It always looked likely to shatter the Union and I'm just listening to an SNP spokesman demanding the same sort of carve out that Northern Ireland is getting. Given the Scots wisely voted to stay, that's a strong argument.

From the moment the referendum result was done, this was a suicide mission for those charged with carrying it out and for the country as a whole.

The others to blame are those that voted for it. I also heard some woman giving a vox pop this morning along the lines of "I voted for it but I didn't know it was so complicated and now I'm m bored with it". So much for "trust the people".

14. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

New Brexit man is Steve Barclay (who ?)......the job has essentially been downgraded to focus on domestic preparations for the UK's departure, with Theresa May personally assuming responsibility for the remaining negotiations with the EU.

Barclay is supposed to be third choice after Michael Gove and Attorney General Geoffrey Cox declined the job.

15. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

As a job who the feck would want it anyway. I repeat my assertion that Mrs May should resign immediately after calling a general election. It could turn out to be the only general election that they all want to lose. Despite all the talk of democracy you get in this country nearly all of them really want another vote. Mrs May is the only one who is standing by the electorates decision in that last referendum. Even Red Jerry wants another go so he doesn't have to carry the last vote through. Personally so do I and genuinely believe the vote would be well and truly reversed. At least the voters have some idea what is at stake now rather than absolutely no idea previously. Perhaps the immigration point might just be expanded into a few more bullet points and people would see a bigger picture. I live in hopes anyway. I have still to hear anyone I know come up with another reason for out other than immigration. To do to this country what they have done as a protest about one thing is worse than sad.

16. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

The planned television debate between Theresa May and Jeremy Corbyn will "breach the concept of impartiality" unless a prominent Brexiteer is allowed to take part. five Europsceptics former ministers have warned.

Tory MP's including Boris Johnson, David Davis, and Dominic Raab have written to Sir David Clementi, the BBC chairman, with the warning.

It came as broadcasters claimed that the debate could be cancelled unless the Tories and Labour can agree on the format it will take.

Downing Street has backed holding it on the BBC at 8pm next Sunday, but Mr Corbyn wants an ITV slot instead.

The Labour leader is concerned that the BBC's plans for a panel of other politicians will dilute the debate.

An industry source told 'The Daily Telegraph' : "There's less than a week left now until the debate is supposed to happen, and that isn't a lot of time."

The Eurosceptics say that the views of the 17.4 million people who voted for brexit "will be nowhere represented" in the debate's current format because both leaders voted to remain.

"They are both wedded to slightly different models of staying in the customs union," their letter says. "As a result, the proposed debate will do nothing to illuminate the real issues at stake".

Article continues in...The Daily Telegraph...3/12/2018.

My thoughts.....Jeremy Corbyn should think himself lucky that he has got a chance of a debate at all, let alone decide where it will be held and in what form....But at the end of the day a debate between two remainers is just a joke waiting to happen.

17. notDistantGreen

There's no point in a general election as the split runs through the 2 main parties, not between them. Brexit is the sickness we need to cure and the only way to do that is with a 2nd, slightly better informed referendum.

Kill Brexit and we can got on with proper government.

It seems this morning that the ECJ has ruled that the UK CAN unilaterally cancel the S50 notice thus wiping the whole process out. That needs to be put to the people.

Less than 50% of the electorate voted for Brexit and that's totally inadequate fora decision of this magnitude. There is every reason why a 2nd vote would be the democratic way to sort this almighty mess out now that people know the true disaster It will be.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  18. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

And then a third vote if it becomes 1-1...completely unpractical....devaluing what a referendum is all about.

The only question a second referendum should ask is....

1.....Do we accept the slavery only result that the PM has been offered.

or

2.....Leave without a deal under WTO values.

19. notDistantGreen

No, the third option is obviously to withdraw the Article 50 notice and stay in the EU as we are.

Watch business boom then.

20. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I went to see my in-laws yesterday and a discussion of sorts sprang up about brexit and in particular Mrs May. We got to the part where he declared that May was evil and he would want Ree-Mogg as the PM when I had to change the subject. I gave then my take on Gibraltar previous to that and was asked if I thought the same about the Falklands. When I said I had no affinity with the place whatsoever and that they did nothing but grow rich from our defence of their homes, the reaction was very huffy. Families WILL fall out over all of this and there will be blood on the doorsteps af a lot of homes. It is ok to hold an opinion on all of this as long as it's the same one as the person you are talking too.