1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Our World Today

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Jun 25, 2017.

1. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Most divisive issue for generations... and between the generations too, taking an average.

Sent from my mobile phone - E&OE

2. notDistantGreen

I see the facist and UKIP consultant Tommy Robinson is organising a black shirt rally against "The betrayal of Brexit ". Shows you the territory we are in.

3. notDistantGreen

So another step towards governmental chaos. A no confidence vote against Theresa May, now of all times. What is that supposed to achieve now with only a few weeks to Brexit Disaster Day.

I'm no supporter of this deal but let's hope the ERG get their noses rubbed in it and are sent back to their constituencies in their sedan chairs to await deselection.

4. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It's all a bleddy joke notdistant. I see she won the vote but what does that even achieve. I agree there never should be one now. All the talk from our elected elite about doing this or that for the good of the Country when the camera is turned on them and then scheming behind the bike shed when a sniff of a personal opportunity comes. They are so self serving it is embarrassing. The Tories are very very good at all of that but that doesn't let the other parties off the charge either. If they smell a whiff of a chance of the moment in the lights they can't resist it no matter how much the Country they purport to serve would suffer. They really would fiddle whilst watching the ship hit the iceberg wouldn't they even if they saw the iceberg several miles ahead. I watched that film "The Life of PI" a while back and the Tiger reminded me of most MPs. The tiger could not supress the urge to kill off everything in the boat including the hand that could feed it even if it meant it died itself. For tiger replace with killer sheep though as none of them are remotely that brave.

5. notDistantGreen

Not a great result for May but she can't be challenged again for 12 months.

Listening the ERG lot arguing her majority is too small and she should go anyway is making my blood boil.

By my reckoning, she got nearly two thirds of the vote. That compares to a tiny majority for Brexit in the referendum, comprising less than half those entitled to vote, but that apparently is a result which must be honoured come what may. Talk about double standards....

6. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Over a hundred of her votes would be from her government team...who if they weren't supporting her they should have done the honourable thing and resigned.

History tells us that she is now a dead duck PM and is a complete disaster going back into Europe today....the DUP will have great problems ever believing her again.

Emerged this morning that two Tory MP's who had the whip withdrawn because of being investigated for sexual misdemeanours had the whip returned to them in time to vote for Theresa May....guilty or not guilty where the hell does that leave those who have complained about them.....typical look after your own....justice is not important when votes are needed.

I think we need to go back to 1605 and get it right this time, and blow the damn lot of them up....there all rotten to the core.

7. notDistantGreen

I view it differently. I see an honest if uninspiring PM trying to do her best with an impossible task placed on her by a referendum that shouldn't have been called and won by lies and dirty money.

8. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Neither side are blameless....but won because of it...that's fantasy land.

Cameron tried to (half heartedly) to get concessions on a fairer deal, and came back with a pathetic story before the Referendum...people called his bluff and showed him and his government that the people have a mind of their own....Plymouth was one of the bigger leave results in the country.

Since the EEC had morphed into the EU the writings been on the wall.....here comes the The Federal United States of Europe....countries sovereignty to be taken over by Brussels and the forming of a military force is on the agenda.....Angela Merkel's replacement said all that as she took over the leadership of the governing Party in Germany....I certainly don't want UK military forces being under the leadership of a German General or any other EU military leader.

Also the EU is moving towards majority decisions in the future...so all 27 members will not have to agree before any decision is taken.

notDistant you shouldn't have wound me up on my favourite subject.

9. notDistantGreen

And vice versa!

10. notDistantGreen

Actually, that's not true. It's the whole thing that winds me up, not you. I've been rude to Jacob Rees-Mogg on Twitter today also, so you aren't alone!

11. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I'm sure Jacob won't hold it against you notDistant...as for me I'm not offended by anyone on here....I just know that you can't all be bad being greens....it must be stressful paying good money and seeing live.... some of the performances this season at Home Park.

Just worried to hear that Adams is working on his January player choices....It's got to be a lot better than the load of duffers he got in during the summer window.

12. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

"I certainly don't want UK forces being under the leadership of a German General or any other EU military leader"

What the feck do you think NATO is and does then plym. Even when I was in and I worked in a NATO establishment, there were foreign Admirals around and in charge of certain forces. You have had this virtually since NATO was invented. The only difference is they didn't actually call it a European Army and Navy.

Anyone, and I mean without exception, would be a dead duck trying to complete the task set. There was not a cat in hells chance of negotiating favourable terms and certainly none that would be satisfactory to everyone. Why doesn't Jeremy bring in a vote of no confidence in the government. Because he is ****ting himself that it would be successful and he would have to do brexit himself. It suits them all to have a scapegoat to blame who will soon be out of the job. Does anyne seriously think that the EU as a whole would just allow a Nation to walk away with any old terms it demanded? Do they think that just by stamping ones feet that would work? If they allowed Britain to walk off into the sunset with everything they asked for then half the other nations would do the same and the EU as an organisation would be fecked. Take out the contributing ones and the receiving ones would be in chaos. That's just what you need, a continent in chaos ripe for another Right Wing die hard to come to the fore. They are out there in enough quantity now and I shudder to think what would happen with Russia stoking the fires. Would serve them really well if it happened.

13. notDistantGreen

I go less than Sensible Plym but it's especially frustrating as we do at times play good stuff going forward and Ladapo has Hall of Fame potential if he goes on as he is.

I just pointed out to the Honourable Member for the 18th Century that it was a bit rich coming from him to say that May should resign because the confidence vote majority was too small. In fact it was close to 2:1 on a 100% turnout compared to 51:49 in the referendum on a 72% turnout, a result we are supposed to follow lemming-like off the cliff edge if required.

In any event, it wasn't really a vote on May one way or the other, for the Conservatives it was largely a vote predetermined on each MP's opinion on Brexit itself, with the ERG extremists hopeful or replacing May with one of their own. On the Labour side, Brexit is just being used to engineer a general election victory for them, and they'll figure out what to do about Brexit afterwards.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  14. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

The vote was clearly for who they wanted to lead the party.....even some of those will vote against her deal when given the chance...two completely different questions.

She will have remainers voting no.... and leavers voting no.....most of those who will vote for her have accept a position on her Government payroll....if they are honourable members they would resign from their Government position if they vote against her....but are some of them keeping their powder dry until she resigns after being defeated over the 'deal'.

15. notDistantGreen

Just tell me one thing Plym. What else OTHER than Brexit has the Government and May been doing for the last 2 years? Nothing, that's why Brexit is a dangerous distraction from the real world bad why the vote WAS all about Brexit.

16. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Incompetence comes to mind....there are so many lightweights in the cabinet and not all pulling in the same direction.

The country voted out....yet remainers hold the two top jobs....making it nearly impossible for any Brexiteer to devote their time to doing what the majority voted.

Allowing the civil service mandarins to pull the strings of weak government ministers and trying to undermine Brexit.

Generally the answer is to get the opposition in to do the job....but they are inept beyond belief...the third largest party believes that they are already an independent country and voted to stay in the EU although the vote was for the UK in whole to stay or go.

Two plus years of achieving an exit with a ball and chain shackling us to the EU,.....they should be ashamed of themselves....they can't do that properly let alone anything else....other than get smiley pictures taken of them handing out food parcels in a Food Bank....the only growth industry this Government has succeeded in doing.

This country is desperate for a political party to be born that isn't right or left wing to do the peoples will and not their own idea of looking after themselves and conning the people all the time.

17. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

"to do the people's will"

Really? Is that what you want. For the great unwashed and looneys to be pandered to because they will it? Most of the "people" I came across when working and even since if honest wouldn't know how to run a bath let alone a country. You cannot do everything people want you to because people want different things and would have to fight the other half to get their way which is back to the right and left yet again. The terminally unemployed want foreigners to get out of their country because they are taking their jobs which they have no intention of taking themself. These people claim things like child benefit and take money from the wages of those people who don't actually want to earn any. Quite what having non leavers in posts has to do with no working towards leaving I frankly can't see. They may not want to do it but they have been. I find Brexit people totally blind to reality. They think that all we had to do was demand and it would be made so. We don't have to take this or take that just do what we want to do. That's called leaving without a deal which even Brexit people think isn't the best of worlds. It's the arrogance of the British once more who still think to this day that the World just rolls over because of who we are.

18. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

Take the deal what is on offer and get on with it. We wont get any better. So the ones voting out have ****ed the country up..

May has done her best with what she had. Im on her side :emoticon-0165-muscl

19. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

From up here, just West of the Rocky Mountains, most of the Canadians in the Valley have no idea about the UK Britex situation.

I try and follow it reading UK Paper, and online views etc.

Reading the comments on this Forum helps too.

I feel sorry for Mrs May, she must be feed up with it all.

Like Joe said, take the deal and be done with it.

What do i know...

20. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I have heard politician after politician say that they would have agreed this or that without one of them saying how they were going to force the rest of the EU into saying yes to it. Anyone can sit in the background and say what a wonderful job they would have done when it will never be tested. I would have made a brilliant striker for England. Must be true as I said it and nobody can disprove the supposition. It's amazing how this subject has become a personal enhancement exercise for a number of politicians rather than them doing what they are paid to do. A load of them were never going to agree with "somebody else" and give any credit for a deal. They mostly want to increase their own standing and the Country and population can go feck itself. This applies to politicians of all parties not just Tories. If we leave with no deal who will be to blame? Can't be May because she has negotiated one. It might not be popular but it is a deal nonetheless.