1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Our World Today

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Jun 25, 2017.

1. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Ah well I think you'll find the official Govt figures show that racial violence is up.

But that's another thing the Leave campaign has done. Replaced expert opinion and tried and tested statistics with empty rhetoric and lies. Only liars want to say "too many experts" because they are making it up.

2. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Have we got an 'Official Government' these days....their 'figures' have no meaning anyway.....other than this is the 'only deal on the table'.

3. notDistantGreen

Devon firm Blue Sea Food, which catches and processes fish, is offshoring some if its production because post Brexit immigration rules will not allow it to staff its expanded factory capacity.

Sent from my mobile phone - E&OE

4. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Post Brexit immigration rules....aren't on the agenda for discussion until after we have accepted/or rejected the deal surely ?

5. notDistantGreen

As published by the Govt i.e. under £30k, limited stay (if any) and no return the following year.

But this is the trouble anyway, they've had an expansion to decide upon and they've decided not to do it in the UK on the assumption Brexit will happen.

6. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Time to buy in a bag full of popcorn, pull up a chair and watch for the next few days after tonights vote, Any rational thinking person would say that the vote of no confidence should be bound to succeed after the huge majority defeat for the Government today. But, will it? This is where you see all of the MPs vote to try and save their skins rather than being of any true conviction. Slimy little barstewards that they mostly are. Ole Rees-Mogg will be on his knees tonight self flagulating for all it's worth with delight. And lets not even mention Boris

7. notDistantGreen

I think that's rather unfair to MPs Sensible.

They voted their consciences last night as they had to on such an immense issue.

May has done her best with an unwinnable task. The EU were ALWAYS going to take a hard line, nobody could have delivered better.

There's no reason to think Corbyn could do any better. He's not even willing at this crisis point in the nation's history to say what his Brexit policy is. In truth, he wants to leave the EU so he can run an isolationist Stalinist government he couldn't do in the EU.

The vote if confidence is nothing but an attempt to take advantage of a disasterous situation and Corbyn should be sent away with his tail between his legs.

8. notDistantGreen

Watching the news earlier.

Vox pop with 2 Remain members of the public and two Leavers. Former a young white man and a young woman of colour. Latter, two redfaced somewhat over weight white middle aged men. Demographics in a nutshell.

After that, local news, repeated flooding in Par, Cornwall. South West Water says problem is the subject of £130m grant application to the EU.

9. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I don't think it's unfair on MPs at all notdistant. They pretty much all only care about themselves and us at a poor second best. They clearly had no confidence in her negotiated leave routine but of course they did vote to say they had confidence in her. If they hadn't then there would have been an election and a load of them might well have been looking for another job. The next thing will be to try to get rid of this person they have confidence in by another route. The queue for next in line will quickly form have no fear. I have no confidence in any of them these days whoever they are or party they represent. This whole thing has been a shambles from start to finish and it seems too late now to give people the proper info and start again. I would add that the shambles isn't all of one parties making either.

10. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

So. whats next with Brexit May i ask.

11. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Your guess is as good as anyone else's BC. Even the MPs don't have a clue. I cannot see anyone able to negotiate a deal with Europe that they will pass in Parliament. They can't agree on what pie they should have for lunch let alone something like this. Either one or the other will cry foul and accuse the other of botching the job. That's assuming Europe agrees of course. My guess is that no deal is looking favourite currently. God help us if that happens. It's either that or another vote with the hope by MPs that it goes to no leave this time. I'm fed up with having to listen to all the crap day in day out. Pity they hadn't thought fit to give us all this info BEFORE we voted. Just maybe it might have gone away then.

12. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

Mostly here it's Trump this and Trump that. Mind you our Prime Minister is a joke as well.

13. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

It's about time somebody shot him. There is precedent for assasinating a President so why not him for christ sake. The man is a moron with about as much global knowledge as a Galapogus Island insect. Having said that we have a few who might fit that description. Don't really know who your PM is as there is little reported about Canada over here. Strikes me if you want to get on in politics then you have to start with a lobotomy and go from there. No wonder people lose heart and stop caring. Seems much the same the world over.

14. notDistantGreen

Who knows? Forget the whole thing ideally.

Failing that, chuck Rees-Mogg and his ERG gang out of the Conservative Party and try to find an agreed position with the moderate wings of all parties. That's likely to be more acceptable to the EU than May's Red Lines which were demanded largely by the presence of the ERG in the party.

NB neither of things are likely to happen!

15. notDistantGreen

Hitachi have today suspended work on the nuclear power plant they were building for the UK.

That's the second one that's stalled after Hinkley Point being built by the French.

Let's hope the contract gives us the right to seize the assets and IP otherwise the lights will be going out shortly.

16. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I was listening to 5live radio today and of course the only topic of conversation was Europe. There was a bloke on there who spouted off about the vote and the out verdict and that there was no precedent for a second vote. Everyone was scare mongering and of course he had understood everything there was to the vote when it was arranged. About the only one who did then but still if he wants to believe he is a world wide political expert then hey ho. Then a bloke came on with an Irish accent who challenged him on the second vote. He argued that in 1975 the country was asked if they wanted in or not. They voted in with an absolute overwhelming majority. Not 52/48 but overwhelming. Nobody but nobody said that those that didn't want to join would get another vote. So, why was this vote even given when it was clearly a second one on the subject. If you can have a second vote on the original decision then you can have a second vote on this one. Couldn't argue with that to be honest.

The second thing the expert said was that he didn't believe that brexit had anything to do with house prices. Wasn't true, scare mongering at it's worst etc etc. The Irish bloke then told him that he was heavily involved with 3 projects currently. Two for holiday type home and a third for normal housing. All 3 were curently suspended pending cancellation. He would probably have to lay off a load of people and it was unlikely they would ever complete on the deals. Reason for this was............leaving the EU. There was now no market for what was to be built. Even though this bloke from Ireland originally was in the business and it was his projects being cancelled the expert bloke still wouldn't have it. And that is what you have to contend with. None of the forcasts are being believed even if the evidence is hitting people in the face.

17. notDistantGreen

Don't worry, we'll be getting £350m per week back from the EU won't we, Boris said so.

18. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

PM is Justin Trudeau son of Pierre Trudeau who served two terms himself.

19. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Yep I could have googled him plym but my pooint is that most people over here probably wouldn't know with doing that because there is not that much reported about Canada.

20. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Huhum.....accept their deal with the EU.