1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Our World Today

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Jun 25, 2017.

1. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

It can't be zero Joe otherwise they'll be able to haul you up on your way to work on Monday morning when you had 2 G&Ts and a half bottle of wine at Sunday lunchtime. If they can't catch the criminals, they criminalise the ones they can catch.

They need to enforce the laws we have first. Random breath tests outside pubs & clubs on Friday and Saturday night would be a good start.

2. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

I would be zero Notdistant as dont bother with the drink .. hardly touch it so i would be fine..agree with the comment totally..

Yes agree with the random testing.. also in the mornings as people are still over. I sent one of our lads home last week, he never drove to work but was stinking of it so that is no good for us.. He has one chance left and then bye bye .. Entitled to drink but dont forget the job the next day, not good for a customer to smell that on him... then expect to work on their appliance...

3. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

If it's zero Joe....you'll have to stay away from the wine gums.

4. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

2 years extra on the Euro sentence and not a word on here. Somebody's falling over in their work. Poor old Nigel is beside himself.............

Having said the above, it's looking less likely the planet will be here after the two plonkers have their nuclear punch up. We might never make the divorce.

5. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Still trying to get to grips with what it means....cannot understand how Brexiteers can go along with this....EU greediness will not give an inch on anything....some of them want four times 20 billion euros just as a starting point....personally it shows that we have a spineless government regarding negotiating a good deal for the UK....I can see Corbyn becoming PM one day and it will be the Tories fault....gutless crowd of nobodies.

6. notDistantGreen

You were told at the start that Europe would be intransigent and extract a high price for any succour to an otherwise threatened UK economy. That was true. (NB Moody's have just reduced the UK's credit rating AGAIN.)

You were told at the start that we'd be £350m a week better off by leaving. That was a lie.

Contrary to popular opinion, a small cadre of hardcore Brexiteers don't run the country, or shouldn't be allowed to, and, contrary to the mindless "Brexit means Brexit" slogan, most of the electorate didn't know what Brexit would mean or didn't care as long as the country was ethnically cleansed

7. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Former Chancellor George Osborne was targeted by a notorious moped mugging gang, a court heard yesterday.

The teenagers did 103 robberies across London, threatening victims with a hammer and a tyre iron as they took their mobiles.

Tory Mr Osbourne, now editor of the Evening Standard, was near the BBC's Broadcasting House when one of them tried to snatch his phone in May.

In a victims impact statement read in Southwark crown court, he said, "I was unharmed but felt shocked and stunned".

Claude Parkinson, 18, and youths of 16 and 15 who cannot be named, of Islington, admit conspiracy to commit robbery.

They were remanded in custody for sentencing.

My thoughts....wow I can think of quite a few people who would of paid handsomely to get their hands on Osbourne's phone....those young thugs could have retired in style.

8. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Daily Telegraph articles 27/10/2017.

1.....Migration will account for three quarters of population growth over the next quarter of a century as the number of people living in the UK rises to 73 million.
    The Office for National Statistics is forecasting that the population will rise by 7.3 million between 2016 and 2041, a rise driven by migration, including growing numbers of babies born to foreign parents. The figures do not take account of Brexit.

My thoughts.....anyone want to play sardines, Brexit can save us from that.

2.....Saudi Arabia is planning to invest $1billion in Sir Richard Branson's space businesses. The billionaire announced at the Future Investment Initiative summit in Riyadh that the funds would go to his US-based Virgin Galactic, Spaceship Company and Virgin Orbit ventures. The Saudi government is attempting to move its economy away from oil by using its reserves to build other industries.

My thoughts.....just another step towards Arabs and China owning more of the UK.

3.....A Hospital has backed down over plans to offer homeowners £1,000 a month to host recuperating patients in their spare rooms.
    Start-up company Care-Rooms has been in talks with NHS trusts and councils in Essex to link up members of the public with patients who have had a minor procedure, such as a Knee operation, but who live alone without support.
    But after a backlash about the safety risks of such schemes, Southend Hospital in Essex said it had "no intention to support the pilot at this time"
    This week it emerged that the company was recruiting "hosts", who do not need any previous care experience, promising up to £50 a night for putting up people recuperating from a hospital stay.
    Yesterday Labour's shadow social care minister Barbara Keeley, branded the idea as "terrifying". She said there were "clear safety risks" with placing responsibility for patients with strangers, saying the pilot was a sign social care was in crises.

My thoughts.....I bet there were a few gang masters...whose ears pricked up when they heard of a £1,000 a month on offer to looked after some old person living alone and all you had to do was give them three processed meals a day......they would probably offer to look after "bed blockers" as well....the thought is horrifying. The lack of concern and dignity for such people goes beyond the pale.

4.....The NHS must stop rationing cataract surgery, or delaying it until elderly patients are almost blind, new health service guidance states.
    Patients who are losing their sight are waiting up to 15 months for cataract surgery, amid a stark postcode lottery in the health service. Some are going untreated until they are nearly blind.
    The guidance from the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence says the NHS should not rely on sight tests to decide whether surgery is warranted. Instead trusts should take a "patient-centred approach" and offer operations when a patient feels their quality of life is effected by their sight loss.
    Mike Burdon, an ophthalmic surgeon and chairman of the guidance committee, said restricted access to the £700 procedure cost the NHS more in the long run. He said: "It should be offered promptly to every patient who wants and needs it."

My thoughts.....I went to my doctor 3 years ago...I waited only 3 months and after, I was booked in to have the other eye done 3 months later......I believe that has now completely changed around here ....things are going down hill with government cut after cut.

9. notDistantGreen

The NHS and the other organisations around it need to put their houses in order. I remember years ago that Stuart Rose, then CEO of a successful M&S, did a series of documentaries about the NHS. One of things that stuck in my mind was the amount of operating theatre time wasted because there was an imbalance between the number of surgeons and the number of anaesthetists. The highly paid former were frequently left standing about with several £m of equipment and several well qualified and well paid staff unable to do anything because the latter hadn't turned up.

This week we learned that NHS operating theatres are STILL operating at 280,000 procedures p.a. below capacity. A spokesman for the BMA explained the deficit by reference to staff having out-of-work and family commitments that led to an average of 2 operating hours per day being lost in each theatre due to late starts and early finishes relative to normal working hours. What other organisation would tolerate those sorts of absences on a consistent basis, let alone put them forward as a reason for needing more money?

10. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

In theory there is nothing wrong with the idea that somebody looks after a person who doesn't need to be in a hospital bed whilst maybe they are recouperating enough to go home and fend for themselves again. Cost of hospital bed £1000 per week cost of somebody looking after instead £1000 per month. Seems logical to me. We already have nursing homes and I see little difference in this suggestion. It's still somebody being paid t look after another. Bit like people who foster children. I mean how on earth could that work being so full of safety issues.

Not only have all those johnny foreigners come over here and took our jobs and homes but now they are likely to outbreed us as well. The bleddy cheek of it. Don't worry though plym. like me you are unlikely to be around in 2041 to winess it all.

11. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I'd only be 102....as long as I can stay out of hospital there's a chance.

I can always remember my mothers doctor saying to us.....don't let her go into hospital....she might not come out....the doctor was right....and that was twenty years ago....what chance now !

12. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

You've just proved my point. There is no chance of anyone getting out if they have nowhere to go.

13. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Was watching the scenes in Barcelona with the Catalonians venting their spleen, My missus said "they're a bit like the scots aren't they" . I told her not to be so bleddy stupid. The scots haven't qualified for the Euros or World Cup in bledddy years and the Spanish have won both.

14. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

1.....Proposals to offer returning jihadists and terror suspects taxpayer-funded housing, and help into work are a "fundamental error" amounting to bribes to potential terrorists, it has been claimed. Under pilot schemes, the Home Office is looking at a new strategy to reintegrate up to 20,000 extremists who have previously been investigated by MI5, which could even see them propelled to the top of council house waiting lists if needed.

My thoughts.....I've read that two or three times...and yes it is saying we will consider rewarding you for being Islamic killers, beheading innocent victims, trying to blow us to kingdom come in our own country.....we will be the laughing stock of the world....maybe we should have offered Hitler a council house in 1939 and WW2 would never of happened.....where does that leave all those who have been genuinely waiting years for housing....obviously further down the waiting list....being evil killers does pay.
    It of course depends on us ever building enough houses in the first place....jihadists will probably complain that affordable housing is too basic, and doesn't supply a secure bomb building facility.

2.....Tory MP's have labelled the prospect of the Government granting some prisoners voting rights "totally unacceptable" as Theresa May faced a growing rebellion on the issue.
    Prisoners sentenced to less than a year in jail and who are let out on day release will be allowed to return home to vote under the plans with David Lidington, the Justice Secretary, reportedly ready to end the existing total ban.
    However, such a move will place Mrs May's Government on a collision course with hardline Conservative MP's who think that those who have been jailed should play no role in democracy. The reported move follows a 12 year legal wrangle between the UK and the European Court of Human Rights which has repeatedly ruled that the blanket ban breaches prisoners human rights.
    Mr Lidington was reported by " The Sunday Times" to have circulated his proposals to other ministers last week.
    Philip Davies, the Conservative MP for Shipley, said: "I am against giving prisoners the vote". Prisoners released on temporary licence are still prisoners,
    "They are what they say on the tin: prisoners. I don't recognize the validity of the court's decision." Peter Bone, the Tory MP for Wellingborough. told "The Sunday Times" : it's a bonkers decision.
    David Cameron, the former Prime Minister, once said that the thought of prisoners being given the vote made him feel "physically sick",
    A Government spokesman said: "We do not comment on speculation.

My thoughts.....one of the few occasions that I agree with Cameron....prisoners have forfeited there democratic rights while in prison....whatever the European Court of Human Rights think.

PS.....Maybe we should punish them further by making them vote (joke).

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  15. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

1.....A Hospital patient had to sleep on a chair for a week amid a growing shortage of beds across the NHS, board reports reveal.

Papers from Birmingham and Solihull Mental Health Foundation Trust revealed a series of complaints about long stays, reporting that the trust's wards "continually" had occupancy rates of more than 100%.

The reports detailed three cases in which patients were forced to sleep in chairs in an urgent assessment unit in Edgbaston, which is supposed to have a maximum stay of 12 hours. One mental health inpatient was left to sleep on a chair for a week. the report stated.

The trust said any patient who now had to wait more than 12 hours was offered a bed further afield. The complaints cover 2016/17. Health Service Journal disclosed.

My thoughts.....Bad state of affairs for mental health patients to be put through.
    My devious mind thinks it's part of the Governments long term plans to privatize the NHS....shutting wards because of saving requirements by the government.
    When our state of the art new hospital opened...."The Princess Royal University Hospital (PRUH) it was lorded by those in the NHS....privately built and rented to the NHS (like a lot are) the rent was suffocating the Hospital financially....once opened some wards were closed and equipment ship out and gone for ever....yet administrators in the hospital were on wages that looked like small fortunes compared with nurses and admin staff.

2.....A Syrian teenager terror suspect arrested in Germany was allegedly ready to carry out a bombing somewhere in the country. federal prosecutors said.
    The man, identified only as 19 year old Yamen A, was arrested by special forces in the north-eastern town of Schwerin, A statement from the prosecutor's office claimed the suspect had made a decision " to explode a bomb in Germany with the aim of killing and wounding as many people as possible.

3.....Hundreds of asylum seekers refused to leave an Australian detention camp in Papua New Guinea that authorities closed yesterday, citing fears for their safety, despite food, water and electricity being cut off.

Staff abandoned the camp on Manus Island, where detainees had locked themselves in, afraid of what could happen to them outside it's gates.
    The standoff is the latest development in a long-running and bitter dispute over Australia's controversial offshore detention policy.

My thoughts.....Australia obviously doesn't want them to get to Australia.....terrible situation.

16. notDistantGreen

There are loads of PFI assets out there serving the many parts private sector in schemes that started out in the Blair/Brown era. As far as I can tell, the their value is around £60 billion, which if it hadn't been financed by the public sector would have had to have been found out of the public purse. It's a bit rich complaining about the cost when you haven't paid for the asset.

The main beneficiaries are Health £12 billion, Defence £9 billion, Education £8 billion, Transport £8 billion and the Scottish Govt £6 billion (on what I don't know, perhaps their very swish Parliament building).

17. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

But notDistant PFI's are taking lots of money out of the NHS, no one realized at the time how debilitating that was financially, and hospital's are having to cut their cloth accordingly to survive, my local one the PRUH hadn't planned to have any parking for staff....so they spent thousand of pounds renting fields and bussing in their staff from there....when they couldn't afford to do that anymore the locality was flooded for a mile in all directions by parking staff, The patients parking is really expensive and you have to pay up front....not knowing how long you would be...another profit making fiddle and worry for patients....also no parking available for those coming in a emergency for A&E. Also the records department had been forgotten and had to be based 10 miles away....causing incredible problems....I know because Mrs Plym used to work there on the clerical side.

18. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

1.....State of Delaware.

A person has the right to keep arms for the defense of self, family, home and state......(Delaware Constitution, article 1, sect 20).

BUT
    No person shall store, sell, offer or expose for sale, or have in possession, any fireworks.....( Delaware code, title 16, section 6901).
    Unless you have a permit for a public display, it is illegal to sell or possess fireworks in Delaware. That includes sparklers...which the law specifically mentions.

My thoughts.....Only in the USA.

2.....The new NHS Counter Fraud Authority has vowed to crack down on those responsible for a "despicable" health service fraud bill of more than £1billion a year., including dentists who invent patients and bill for work that was never done, and patients who make false claims.

3.....Donald Trump called for more " extreme vetting" and labelled border control a "joke" after the New York terror attack that killed eight and injured 12. But in turn the president was criticised for politicising the tradgedy in a way that would "play into the hands of the terrorists".

My Thoughts.....Who vets the vetter.

4.....A US senator has warned that Russian cyber operatives are "setting up shop" in Scotland to foment support for a second independence referendum.

Senator Angus King told a Washington hearing into Russian interference in last year's US presidential election that Scotland was also on the Kremlin's target list.

He told the Senate Intelligence Committee that Russia was engaged in a global disruption effort that included elections in the US, France, Germany and Spain, but singled out Scotland as an area where the Russians were "setting up shop", he added: " This is a sophisticated worldwide strategy."

Last night, a senior MP demanded answers from Facebook on whether Russians were using the social network to cause discord in Scotland.

My thoughts.....Is this how WW3 will be fought ?

5.....Police have told shopkeepers they must catch thieves themselves in order to guarantee that an officer will turn up to investigate.
    Avon and Somerset police have said they are so stretched that they are unlikely to treat shop thefts as a priority, but would attend calls from retailers if they have already apprehended the suspected shoplifter. The force admitted that calls about shoplifters who have fled would only receive a response "on a quiet day".

One shop owner, who did not want to be named, said many stores have given up reporting thefts because "arrests are rare and punishment lenient".

My thoughts.....In the past haven't people who defend their property been fined or imprisoned for defending their property and burglars have won compensation for being attacked......only in the UK.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  19. notDistantGreen

You don't imagine that PFI projects consist of a bunch of financiers scribbling out a plan of what they think a hospital looks like on the back of a table napkin and then flogging it to the NHS do you? No, the NHS draws up a specification big enough to fill 2 Transit vans, including post construction outsourced operations like parking, maintenance etc if relevant, it gets priced and that's what gets built. If it's wrong, it's the fault of whoever wrote the spec.

It's arguable whether PFI is a a good thing, particularly as the Government can borrow funds more cheaply than the private sector - subject to retaining a decent credit rating. It was however a clever ploy that allowed Tony Blair and Gordon Brown to go on spending on things to impress the electorate long after Government funds ought to have been considered fully committed. .

20. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

1.....Millions of savers will be no better off after the Bank of England announced the first interest rise in a decade - despite banks announcing mortgage increases within minutes. Yesterday the Bank of England raised the base rate from 0.25% to 0.5%.

But Lloyds, Barclays and Halifax left tens of millions of savings account holders in the lurch yesterday by refusing to say whether they would receive a higher interest rate on their savings accounts. Tracker mortgage rates rose within minutes.

My thoughts.....Why do we leave money in banks anymore ?....when they give you less than inflation on your assets....sounds like highway robbery...but legal of course.......we recently had a stocks & shares ISA mature after 5 years.....50% profit great......thought we would take some of the profit and do a few jobs around the bungalow and invest the money again.....we were told that it isn't possible anymore, that type of ISA has been withdrawn...it seems that the government stopped it...and all we could get would be 0.5% maximum. We were told that with a nice smile of course from the man in his pin stripe suite....and of course he couldn't offer any other advice.
    Any one got an opinion on Government Bonds.....I know my old man had quite a few books of them back in the 1960's when we soughted out his will for mum., are they still a good buy ?

2.....Statins should be given to thousands of children by the age of 10 under radical new NHS Guidance.
    GP's are being urged to identify boys and girls with an inherited risk of high cholesterol, amid warnings that most cases go undetected.
    Estimates suggest up to 260,000 people including 50,000 children, suffer genetic defects that effect the body's ability to break down cholesterol. Guidance issued by the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (Nice) today says statins should be offered to reduce the risk of heart conditions or stroke in midlife.
    Only 15% of those with the condition are being treated, Nice said, including just 600 of 56,000 children with the genetic disorder.
    Family doctors are being asked to trawl records to identify those with high cholesterol levels.
    Where levels of more than 9 millimoles per litre (mmol/l) are found in those over 30, and levels of 7.5 mmol/l are found in those under 30, high-dose statins should be offered, the NHS guidance says. It adds that gene tests should be used to find other family members, including those aged under 10, who are, at such heightened risk they should be put on medication.

My thoughts.....More work for doctor's surgeries,....who have trouble keeping up with perscriptions at the moment.

3.....The online grocery market has failed to "lift off" because consumers prefer the social side of shopping, a report has found.
    Almost half of consumers have tried online grocery shopping but only 15% do so a few times a month, YouGov said.
    The majority of online shoppers go to supermarkets to top up their groceries during the week, it added.
    Stephen Harmston, head of YouGov Reports, said: "Despite online grocery being around for years, we're still waiting for the 'lift off moment'
    that has characterized other industries, such as fashion and home retail."

My thoughts..... I've come across both sides of this discussion..... I pop up to our local Sainsbury's 7am on Saturday mornings to do some of the basics, Milk for the week, Bread, Bottled Water (5L size), Detergent, Cereal...bulky heavier things usually....Mrs Plym does the clever shopping during the week at Waitrose (she likes it there, more civilized).
    So I get there just as they open....always in front of me will be the little old ladies by the dozen....who get into the store and stand around catching up with the weeks gossip with their trollies in little groups...blocking the way for other shoppers around the newspaper stand....once you've negotiated them and move into the body of the store you are confronted by online trolley workers...who have probably been working through the night....maybe 10/15 of them blocking the gangways with their extra large trollies stopping you getting to where you want to....totally oblivious to you wanting to shop as well.
    There does seem to be a lot supermarket vans delivering these items around here...so it surprises me that online shopping isn't taking off as they suggest....maybe a little different in the affluent south east.