1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread PAFC 1 GILLINGHAM 2 We Woz robbed!

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by lyndhurstgreen, Aug 11, 2015.

1. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

A very entertaining night at Home Park where an optimistic crowd witnessed a loss for the greens in a match they really should have won against a fairly tidy League 1 side.

As predicted Derek Adams started with the same side that was successful at the weekend against AFC Wimbledon. The first half was high tempo affair with Argyle the better team and we carved out a few decent chances/half chances. The main difference from last season was the movement and pace all over the team. Yes there were some long balls up to Reuben but these were interspersed with some slick passing moves and good link up play between the midfield and forwards. The only down point was an early injury to Jervis with what looked like a thigh strain- he was replaced by the lively but diminutive Craig Tanner- more of him later. Gillingham also played some good stuff, were not afraid of getting stuck in, and will surely do well this season. Nevertheless Argyle shaded the first half.

More of the same in the second half with Tanner getting the better of their left back so much so that he resorted to fouling him twice (although the lino on the Lydhurst failed to give anything) and eventually he was subbed off. Then came the goal , and what a finish it was- another decent ball into the box and a great volley from that man Tanner hit the back of the net. Not much more than 5 mins left and we should have seen the game out safely. Unfortunately hero turned to villain as Tanner tamely gave the ball away in midfield and a clinical finish gave Luke no chance. 2 mins later and a combination of a good move and non existent marking made it 1-2 and game over, but not before Argyle won a succession of corners and throw ins and could easily have forced extra time.

Good performances all over the pitch esp Boetang, Wydle, Tanner. Mchugh looked good in midfield despite a few rash challenges and missing a couple of good goal scoring chances.

Obviously a disappointing result, but plenty to be cheerful about and it bodes well for the new season.

2. brb

brb CR250

Just a minor point missing from the write up, Gills scored first just before your opener and as i understand it, it was ruled offside despite maybe coming off a Greens player. Dack and Hessy completing for the Gills and Nelson was his usual safe pair of hands keeping the opposition out. Now that's more balanced :) Not that i'm biased but you was not robbed but truly beaten by a better team <laugh>

3. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Get off the forum before I ban you you bleddy troll.

I think disappointing is the word I'd use. Nice to know the lino hasn't improved though so somebody to shout at again this season. I was watching online and when I saw Argo 1 - 0 up with only a bit of time to go I thought they just might hold onto a cup match for once. But, 50th different Manager and same result in the end. My daughter gave me an Argyle thing for my birthday this year. It has the words "Argyle Mug" printed on it and underneath the words "not to be confused with a cup".

Thanks for the write up.

4. lyndhurstgreen

I don't do balanced reports brb. Still think we should have won and would have apart from some abject defending. For what it is worth I though you were a decent team, but we matched you all over the pitch and I suspect your manager and team will be somewhat relived to have 'got out of jail'.

brb likes this.
  5. brb

brb CR250

btw unlucky Greens, I actually did believe we were going to lose this until the end. So a good start for both our teams in the first two games performance wise, regardless of result.

6. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Well it sounds as if Argyle played well against a Div 1 team last night.....who had started at a gallop last Saturday with a 4-0 win against fancied Sheff U.

A reminder last night for Argyle that a game lasts 90 minutes plus injury time......and must have felt like a kick in the teeth with two late Gillingham goals.

Craig Turner came on as an early replacement for the injured Jake Jervis and played really well, scoring what seemed the winning goal at the time in the 78th minute. He did showed his inexperience though by losing the ball in mid-field and a Gillingham goal being the outcome........on Saturday he nearly created a dodgy moment as well with a back pass to McCormick which Luke had to smother as a Wimbledon player nearly got to it first, concentration at all times seems to be the lesson for Turner to take on board.....maybe too much confidence in a situation that needed the simple things done well.

Jervis getting injured meant a change of emphasis down the right with a tall player being replaced by the quite small Turner who would never get his head to long kicks down that flank which Jervis did very well with against Wimbledon, but Argyle adapted very well which shows how Derek Adams has a plan B when necessary......something we used to complain about under Sheridan.

Will be interesting to see how the players adjust to a disappointing set-back.....losing their first game this season.....I'm sure Adams will be on the case.......Portsmouth have a hard home game tonight against Derby....lets hope they lose in extra time or in a penalty shoot out......they have a days less recovery time plus a journey to Home Park to endure.....lets hope it is to our advantage.

7. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Lyndhurst has it spot on except in one vital regard: in order to be robbed, you mustn't give away the lost property and that's what we did.

Gillingham's greatest attributes were physical size and aggression. They didn't make a serious chance from open play apart from the two we gifted them after going 1-0 up. The size and aggression issue worries me as we have at least 3 in the team. Carey, Wylde and Tanner who don't fancy a tackle. Are we going to be strong enough come January when we're up against one of the more agricultural sides, either in terms of playing surface or playing style or both?

I appreciate they bring other qualities, Wylde was excellent in the first half although he either tired or was better marked in the second. Carey was pretty anonymous throughout in my book. Tanner scored a cracker but then committed the cardinal sin of not hoofing it into Row Z when cornered in his own half when 1-0 up with 5 to play. He played a suicidal 15 yd square pass infield and left McCormick not 1 on 1 but 2 on 1.

The back 5 including McHugh were excellent, weathering what chances Gillingham did make for set pieces. McCormick spilled one in the second half, his second error so far since the start of pre-season. That's not like him. Most sides are now putting a blocking player on him at corners etc.

Boateng played well although space in midfield was severley restricted.

The officials? Right up there with the usual standard. One booking on either side was not enough given the level of physicality although at least it was good to see Argyle respond in kind to Gillingham. I suspect linesman down in the bottom divisions aren't authorised to give free-kicks otherwise it's just impossible to believe that we didn't get the 2 fouls on Tanner that Lyndhurst mentioned. You'll never see 2 more obvious offences within 10 yards of each other. He also repeatedly failed to spot the Gillingam centre forward coming back from offside positions to challenge for the ball and failed to protect Reid from repeated manhandling. The latter is par for the course to be fair.

In all, you wouldn't have thought Gillingham were a division above us and we should have won. We didn't however, having thrown it away and I worry whether we're strong enough.

8. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I almost wish I'd bothered to go now having read the reports. My mate rang me in the week to say he was going to give it a whirl and asked if I wanted to go, he's the lift, but I declined. I got so fed up watching Argyle lose cup games previously that I gave them up and haven't really missed much over the last 5 years or so. I'm kind of jealous that you lot have seen them play in anger and I'm still waiting for that one.

9. Plymjools

Plymjools Active Member
    Forum Moderator

10. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Bleddy chavy chant....

That green army chant was sort of cool a few years back but now it seems more than dated. I was in a park in Bruge Belgium some years ago proudly wearing my Argyle shirt and from a distance came the shout "Green Army" uch to my surprise. Turned out to be a woman who worked in the same Department as me who saw the shirt but didn't know who was inside it. Small world ain't it although I've always known that from my service days.

11. lyndhurstgreen

probably is quite chavvy but one of the few chants recognised wordwide....

12. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

It kind of grates now though rather than just being recognisable. Maybe it's just my age where things become stale much quicker than they used to. I haven't quite taken to tutting at teenagers just yet but it's coming closer.

13. Plymjools

Plymjools Active Member
    Forum Moderator

I've left a mug of Horlicks on the bar for you Sensible and your slippers and cardi are in the broom cupboard :emoticon-0102-bigsm

14. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Jools.....throw in an energy drink for the old duffer......or we'll never get any crisps out of the cellar onto the bar counter.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  15. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Argyle played well Sensible, particularly in the first half when Gillingham were opened up by several quick breaks. I think they were caught by surprise by what they found themselves facing to be honest. Pass Of The Match (and probably my MoM) was from Hartley (yes really) with a 40 yard cross field guided missile which put Tanner in behind the Gillingham left back.

The mumbling in the crowd around me was positive about the manager (who was out on the pitch in collar and tie talking to the players during the warm-up), the style of play and the level of desire being shown. Obviously throwing away a game we could and should have won was a major disappointment and I'm sure that comes across in my earlier post, but there was a lot to enjoy and feel positive about. We could and should have gone in 2-0 up at half-time in truth.

16. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Saturdays game could be a bit tasty.....Portsmouth have started well with two home wins one league and one cup........but will they be has good away....lets hope not.

17. brb

brb CR250

I think you could well take some pride for your team in that defeat. With all but 10 minutes spare you were leading a side a league above you, that smashed away the much more financial money team of Sheffield United on Saturday pass 4-0, well we actually obliterated them. Well done Greens, see it as a good start to your season on the back of your L2 win.

18. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Makes a change for you to buy a drink Mrs Jools<diva>.

19. Plymjools

Plymjools Active Member
    Forum Moderator

Thank you Brb :emoticon-0100-smile wishing the Gills a brilliant season !

20. Plymjools

Plymjools Active Member
    Forum Moderator

Its not my fault that my pockets are on my knees and you lot wont wait 2 hours for a drink while I find my purse :emoticon-0142-happy:emoticon-0142-happy:emoticon-0142-happy