1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Pardew eyes silverware, and other info

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by James Bond, May 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Bond

James Bond Member

ALAN Pardew today insisted Newcastle United with have the firepower to challenge for the a cup next season.

Pardew would love to see Newcastle – who last won a trophy in 1969 – emulate tomorrow’s opponents, Birmingham City, and win the Carling Cup next season.

Birmingham ended their long search for silverware in February, when they beat Arsenal at Wembley to lift the cup.

But first his players must focus on securing a top-10 finish in the Premier League.

Pardew’s side lie 12th in the table with three games left to play, and the 49-year-old believes two wins could be enough to achieve their aim.

“We’ve got to be nailed on Premiership top 10 side – that’s our priority – then the cups, and then after that the Champions League,” Pardew said.

“That’s the order I’ll be working in next year.

“We’ll have a young squad next year, with younger players coming through – (Shane) Ferguson, (Dan) Gosling, and (Haris) Vuckic – and new players to add to that.

“But next year is next year. This weekend is all about Birmingham.

“They’ve done very, very well to win that cup. It’s something we’re very jealous of, as we’d love it to be us.

“We need to focus on these three games. We need to finish well.”

United were disappointingly beaten 3-0 at Anfield in their last fixture, though Pardew felt the criticism that came his team’s way after the result was “exaggerated”.

Pardew went on: “It’s always about the next game. I thought we took a lot of criticism for that performance at Liverpool. I thought it was slightly exaggerated.

“Some of the criticism against some of the players was a bit personal, I thought. We need to use that as a fuel for this weekend.

“We’ve got 50,000 turning up, and we need to give a proper performance.”

2. beardface

beardface Active Member

Quality that we are actually going to attempt to win this cup this year rather than go all Arsene Wengerish and play the youngsters.

This is a good way to get into Europe.

3. u408379965

u408379965 Well-Known Member

The Carling Cup doesn't count as silverware, I'm pretty sure the trophy is made of aluminium foil. Stoke have reached the (real) cup final though, and Pompey won it a few years back. We should be going for it.

4. Agent Bruce

Agent Bruce Well-Known Member

Pardew went on: “It’s always about the next game. I thought we took a lot of criticism for that performance at Liverpool. I thought it was slightly exaggerated.

Does anybody else think it was exaggerated?

We pay good money for the tickets and the travel and we expect something in return. If the players don't think it's worth turning up there's something wrong internally.

5. Spiderman-Mask

Spiderman-Mask Well-Known Member

Hell I'd take the Milk Cup, it's been that long since a trophy I'm, and I'm sure a lot of others are past caring. I celebrated the Intertoto Cup like the Champions League

6. u408379965

u408379965 Well-Known Member

Teams have good games and bad games. I'd rather have games like Arsenal (both times but especially at home) whilst suffering games like that, than be consistant. The emotional rollercoaster is why we love out club.

7. Hatem Is A Geordie

Hatem Is A Geordie Active Member

Loving the bit about Vuckic!

8. Jarramag88

Jarramag88 Well-Known Member

I would take the carling cup. Anything, just want to see my team win at wembely in my lifetime.

9. Snorlax

Snorlax Active Member

He said that the Champions League is just after cups in his priorities. Hes caught our delusionedness!?!

10. Agent Bruce

Agent Bruce Well-Known Member

Yes, Arsenal was a bit special, especially the home game though.

Were you at The Emirates?

11. Tim Kruls Zulu Shield (:)

id take a carling cub tbh, i would not complain at all.

12. Tiote's Witch Doctor

Tiote's Witch Doctor Well-Known Member

I quite like the tone of all that, he's going to look a fool though if Ashley decides he doesnt want to spend and he sells our best players, lets hope this could be proof that he knows these things wont happen.

And the Liverpool performance was shocking, they are a better team than us yes, but there was nowhere near the amount of effort the fans deserved.

13. Dr. Lucien Sanchez

Personally I'd much rather the squad focussed on consolidating a mid table/upper mid table Premier League position than a run in the league cup.
    I mean I'd be as happy as anyone if we did actually win any sort of silverware, but with the size of the squad we have, and assuming that our numbers won't grow drastically after the summer, i think it's much more important to avoid the dreaded "second season syndrome" than end up getting far in a cup that nobody, except for teams that haven't won anything for years, even cares about.
    The FA Cup may be abit different, but like I said, at the moment I feel it's more important to re-establish ourselves as a premier league side than have a decent cup run.

14. Arfa's Left Foot

Arfa's Left Foot Active Member

Glad it's not just me that noticed that bit!

15. Chappaz

Chappaz Active Member

Nice to see Pards has some optimism. It's good to have a manager who is looking up and up, even towards the Champions League someday. He obviously knows more than we do about the funds he will have available to buy top players.

Plus, I'm fairly sure this is a bit of a PR stunt. He's trying to attract top European talent at the moment, so he'll obviously want to come across like the club has ambition to reach the top. In fact, considering Gervinho's most recent news about him only wanting to play for a CL team, this article from Pards could be aimed directly at him.

16. Whitchester Mag

Yeh I was. That was a fantasic game also...
    Never celebrated more after a match than after that one!
    Pity it was Judas who scored the goal.
    takes the gloss off it looking back don't you think>

17. Andmcit

Andmcit Member

I'd read this exactly the same way - we ARE a club with ambition with an owner that's prepared to invest...

(even if it is just nice soundbites and spin - I hope not mind)

18. AH

AH Active Member

I'd be ecstatic with the Carling Cup to be honest, rather than just 'yeah i wouldn't mind it', seeing as we've not won anything big in a while. plus, it's the road to europe!
    Would rather the FA Cup obviously, but lets talk about realism here. We're more likely with the Carling Cup to be honest.

19. The Secret Ingredient

The Secret Ingredient Well-Known Member

but we've won silverware

ladies and gentlemen i give you The Teresa Herrera Trophy

please log in to view this image
    scale 1:1
    if you look closley you'll see nolan giving himself a hernia lifting it

20. NUFCtomw362

NUFCtomw362 Active Member

Sorry but I'd bite your hand off if we were offered the Carling Cup. Would give anything to see us lift a cup at Wembley and get back into Europe, even if they're viewed as Mickey Mouse trophies and competitions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.