1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Patience is a virtue!!!!

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by JM Fan, Sep 20, 2019.

1. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

As we enter the last 33 months of the SW/DF at the helm of NCFC, now might be a good time to reflect on the past 27 months or so. CS has written an excellent article on SW’s tenure, so I’ll just add my thoughts.
    I was becoming more and more frustrated during the 16-17 season, so chose to give up my ST which I’d held for 10 years or so, but continued to attend occasional matches, as I also wanted to try sitting in different areas of the ground. Towards the end of that season, I felt that we were creating a reasonable number of goal attempts, but very few were ‘on target’ (many were spurned by Naismith!!) and I decided to try for an ST again, as close to where I’d been sitting for 10 years previously. If only SW/DF could find a striker who could at the very least test the opposing GK – little did I know that they would persuade Pukki to sign for us. That and the promotion of several youth players and suddenly, we started winning games and I believe I’m right in thinking that from September last year, our only home defeat was at the hands of Derby as a result of ‘floodlightgate!!’
    'ACN' and 'BEn' then started a ‘crowdfunding’ to purchase flags and banners around the time of the visit of our near neighbours and I have to say that it looks fantastic from my vantage point in the River End.
    The fans really get behind the team now and I said after the Newcastle victory that I’d never heard the River End so noisy – the noise has even spread to the South and the City stand, so let’s keep it up, even if we are losing and help the players to ‘go that extra mile!!!’
    I’m still quietly confident that we can make the top 10 – assuming that we don’t lose any players in January and that our injury crisis doesn’t worsen.
    It was interesting to hear pundits etc saying that NCFC were being ‘naïve’ in daring to believe that we could continue with the playing style that saw us romp to the Championship title, but now I see that several other clubs in the Championship are hoping to adopt our style from last season – good luck with that one!!!
    We all bemoaned the appointment of nephew Tom to the Board, but it was thanks to his and Ed’s influence that the rest of the Board were persuaded to ‘poach’ SW and the rest is history.

Can we become an established PL side without a wealthy financial backer and a youth development policy – I firmly believe so.

Edit – I see our Under 23s lost to Stoke this evening and they’ve had a pretty average start to the season.

PS – Was it you General who had the ‘signature’ – ‘we must be patient??’
    https://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwi...rwich-city-new-contract-aspirations-1-6282034

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    canary-dave and Canary Spring like this.
  2. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

DDF reflecting on his very first interview with SW - The sensible place to start: how had Norwich City teased him away from a chance of promotion with Huddersfield?
    "It was a number of things," Webber responded. "If I look back on my career - obviously I'm quite a young guy but I've been to a few places - and one of the things I was always taught was to pick your owners.
    "And the owners here and the board set-up was attractive to me, in terms of being a settled club, a club with a decent idea of where it wants to go - obviously it needs a little bit of help, that's why I'm sat here. "I look at the resource levels compared to other places I've been and that sort of excites me, as in, if we're creative, what we can do with that."
    Could that first answer have been more prescient?

By the end of his first two seasons those very owners had stuck with their man's grand plans and been rewarded with a superb title success which left Delia Smith to hail Webber as "wonderful and a genius".
    Where did the club want to go? The Premier League of course, another tick in the box. And being creative with those resources? Well, you only need one name to sum up that vindication: Teemu Pukki.
    Webber's press conference and follow-up interviews took around two hours that day, with his many tantalising sound-bites including the fact that he wanted everyone at City to target Premier League standards, from accountants to canteen staff.
    Daniel Farke's arrival from Borussia Dortmund of course followed after the season was finished and the revolution truly began, but there were plenty of bumps in the road. Webber was ready for that when he arrived though, reflecting on the initially slow start to his reign at Huddersfield, as fans grew uneasy at the attempts to play more attractive football.
    "That should not change fundamentally, in my opinion, the way you do it," he emphasised. "A big part of me coming here and leading the head coach search is there will be somebody with a very clear identity that then becomes the Norwich way of doing it but not in just chucking the term out there 'the Norwich way' or whatever.