1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Pep Segura Has left the club?!?!

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by SJD, Aug 17, 2012.

1. SJD

SJD Well-Known Member

Lots of reports coming in.
    Bit of a shock this!

2. The artist JerryChristmas

The artist JerryChristmas "Massive old member"

Seriously? Where's that from?

3. Redbrynner

Redbrynner Well-Known Member

Not good news......Hope Rodolfo doesnt follow suit.

4. The artist JerryChristmas

The artist JerryChristmas "Massive old member"

5. Page_Moss_Kopite

Page_Moss_Kopite Well-Known Member

But whatever the cause or timing it wont have any bearing on what happens tomorrow at the Hawthorns.

Agree it's bizarre timing but lets worry about it after 4.45pm later today.<ok>

6. DayDoDoeDontDayDoe

DayDoDoeDontDayDoe Well-Known Member

Worrying this

1.Two months ago, pre Brendan post Kenny.The plan was to get a new manager ( coach really), with a Director of Football, coming in over the top
    2. Martinez interviewed several times...doesnt become LFC manager,nobody really knows if he turned it down,or if FSG thought he wasnt right for us cos he didnt want the Director of Football
    3.Out of nowhere, with perhaps 1 or 2 meetings Rodgers becomes manager.And says during the press conferance with Tom Werner nervously looking on that he wont allow a DoF, but will allow a transfer team
    4.Werner says same day we will LFC fans will b v excited with who else is coming on board ( rumours say Begiristain , Van Arle maybe)
    5.It becomes apparent week after Rodgers is appointed that Begiristain, Van Arle wont be involved, but it appears now we are looking at recruiting Man Citys scouting Team of Ian Fallows and Barry Hunter
    6.It is widely thought that cos of Rodgers reluctance for a DoF, that we will now have a transfer team consisting of Pep Segura,Rodolfo Borrell,Rodgers and the ex Citeh lads
    7. John Achterburg reinstated as goal keeping coach , a few months after being sacked( same time as Comolli), when it expected that Xavi Valero who Reina wanted would come back to the club
    8.We then find out but it isnt commonly known that our new scouting team Fallow/Hunter are on " gardening leave" until after the transfer window shuts.Not great planning LFC, in the middle of the transfer window
    9.This means Ian Ayre with no experience has to conduct all our transfer dealings, which Rodgers openly admits he isnt is getting a bit frustrated with the delays
    10.Mike Marsh appointed as a coach to the 1st team in front of Segura and Borrell
    11.Segura resigns
    12. Does Borrell follow..........................

Well what I will say, its looks as if Rodgers has manipulated almost bullied FSG ,especially after the many Swansea lads being linked with us and now looks to have TOTAL control of transfers, which is exactly what FSG dint want 3 months ago.I dont have a problem with that at all, as long as it works.........Only time will tell if it does.You got give Rodgers credit though for managing to manipulate FSG or at least get them to change there mind 100%

My only worries are,I must admit I would have loved to have seen Begiristain on board with his knowledge of the Spanish/Latin game and I would be certain Sahin and probably Tello would have both signed already if he had

The bigger worry is it seems to me that FSG have got themselves into a right old pickle the last 3 months, with appointing guys on gardening leave during the window,Achteburg being reappointed after being sacked,and Ayre conducting transfers.It also makes you wonder if they did want want Martinez,and turned to Rodgers after he said he didnt want a DoF, FSG then panicked and appointed Rodgers,because they were running out of candidates, as it appeared AVB didnt fancy it either. TBH its a bit of a mess, in fact thats probably an understatement.Lets hope it doesnt effect the team too mcuh

7. Foredeckdave

Foredeckdave Music Thread Manager

Very good conspiricy theory.

8. ShanksHateTheMancs

You may not get a lot of support for this post but its a pretty good summary of the events (especially points 1-12). The truth is we will never know if Rodgers really was 1st choice or not, I have to admit that I was disappointed we have essentially left transfers up to the manager again, great if he is sucessful but potentially a shambles if the step up proves too much.

9. kph103

kph103 Well-Known Member

But doesn't this sum Liverpool up over the last three seasons. We seem to make every decision a difficult one,every transfer a long drawn out affair. I have no problem with BR being in control of transfers after all it's his neck on the line. Also the three we have bought in so far excite me more than Adam,Henderson and downing did last year (and are a lot less money ). It's the old situation of it comes off great if not......
    However, as Dave said a lot of it is conspiracy theory. Who knows what goes on behind the scenes. As for Rodgers being a desperation appointment I think that's way off the mark. I really do believe he and Martinez were their two choices and I have been very impressed with Rodgers so far. Just pleased it wasn't AVB.

10. moreinjuredthanowen

who knows but all you have to do is think what if fsg don't know what they are at and play hands off... well whomever say i want i want i want gets thier way.

seems t me really strategy is not a word to associate with LFC.

11. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Shocked I would thought he would be exactly what Rodgers wanted.

12. Sir Kenny Dalglish

Sir Kenny Dalglish Well-Known Member

What's all this about transfers? Lets make one thing perfectly clear, all transfers are risks. There is no such thing as a low risk signing...not even on a free transfer. So to suggest ''Rodgers is over transfers oh no'', what's wrong with that? He is the manager. He's signed two players he familiar with and he's also taken a risk with an off the cuff signing.

A lot of managers do that? How many managers have someone over them conducting transfers? Does Alex Ferguson? Does Arsene Wenger? In January and there was rumours of this, that Damien Comolli and Kenny Dalglish were at loggerheads. Apparently Kenny wanted a striker but Comolli wanted to sign a centre back. In the end Liverpool got nothing, the striker Kenny wanted was Jelavic and he ended up at Everton.

This is why I'm all for just one person deciding who signs and for how much. Its just a case of ''too many cooks spoil the broth''. You can't have two people doing the same job.

13. DayDoDoeDontDayDoe

DayDoDoeDontDayDoe Well-Known Member

Points 1 - 12 are essentially whats happened at the club since may, what is certain is what is what has occured is 10000% not the way FSG would have planned it.
    I think Rodgers was a good appointment, a far better manager than Kenny who,left things to chance too much for the modern game.You cant do that in the modern game,and I also agree that the signings have been a lot better than last season, just think FSG have been a bit of a mess organising everything over the last 3 months,and I think points 1 -12 proves it

14. Sharpe*

Sharpe* Senior Member

Shame. We move on though.

I'm more shocked some people prefer a director of football making the transfers - look where that got us previously!

15. Foredeckdave

Foredeckdave Music Thread Manager

Where is the official confirmation that Segura has departed?

16. ShanksHateTheMancs

I have argued this point previously, look I was never a fan of the DOF route either. However the managers you reference are not exactly the greatest example to use as a comparison as they have both been at their respective clubs for a long time and are already relatively stable. I think we will start to see the DOF route creep in if and when these managers move on, to be honest I think football will HAVE to do this because the days of endless supplies of money for new managers will be a thing of the past.

The reason I say that it could potentially go tits up if Rodgers is not successful is because we are ALREADY seeing evidence of this since only last season! We are now effectively a sell before you can buy club once again and partly this is of course due to the FSG model of self-sufficency and frugal operation(which I support). The problem is though that Rodgers is making a HUGE step-up; lets say he is successful and we end up as a start in the champs league, fantastic and we have a great platform to build from. However lets imagine he is not as successful as we hope and the pressure either gets too much for him, FSG or us fans and impatience and lack of belief sets in. Thats when FSG's tight ship(like now) makes life even more difficult and we run the risk of falling further behind our rivals.

A new guy comes in and in order to buy who he wants or to implement yet another style he has to sell before he can buy; unfortunately as is usually the case the only players with any real value are the players you would actually prefer to keep (ala Agger, Suarez, Reina) and the ones you would get rid of others don't want or value either! This is the type of risk I am talking about, and yes whilst to an extent you are correct in that there is always an inherent risk in any transfer that risk is increased when only one guy (who may turn out to be great or an Hodgson) is making the decisions and is largely buying players he has worked with before in a system that suits his style of play and not necassarily the future managers!

17. Master Yoda

Master Yoda Well-Known Member

Funny how we're all so negative.

Maybe Segura wants to go back to Spain, or has other personal reasons to leave. Maybe he's an arsehole and they all want him out. Who knows - we certainly don't.

18. kph103

kph103 Well-Known Member

<ok> spot on we don't know there could be many reasons for his going. It's still not been announced yet anyway.

19. Redbrynner

Redbrynner Well-Known Member

Think Rodgers is doing a good job with the team, but he certainly wants his own stamp on the team and I hope this is not at the expense of all the good work Benitez did in setting up the youth and all.....Want to see Shelvey, Sterling, Pacheco and Suso get some chances at some point and will be gutted if Borrell were to follow Segura out.

There is no point in destroying the things which are positive already about our setup.......

First and foremost though...lets win today and worry about this later.

20. Muppetfinder General

Muppetfinder General Well-Known Member

A point I've made previously. Good post, BTW. I've had an extended argument this afternoon on their handling of the Evra affair, which was not impressive for American sports businessmen, in which image is everything. They were so hands-off that Tom Hicks thought he'd won a court judgement.

They hired advisors because they admitted they didn't know enough about soccer. They were advised by their guru, Billy Bean, to hire the Mr. Moneyball of European football, Damian Comolli. One year later they sacked him. Were they advised badly, then? If so, who was advising them that last season was as bad as the media made out? Who advised them to judge Kenny by half a season, after we fell off a cliff yet still got silverware? Who advised them to judge Comolli's transfers on one season? The muppets who used to slate Lucas? The muppets who had Blackpool as the Swansea of two seasons ago, with Charlie Adam at its heart, who now slate Adam? The muppet who offered Andy Carroll to City in a quiet executive chat last January? Who advised them who to hire as an advisor? And exactly how much has the Red Sox falling off a cliff affected their dedication to make Liverpool a success?

Tell it to the muppets who judged Kenny by his signings after one season. The best managers only get a 50% success rate in transfers judged over a player's entire career. Bellamy was a good signing; Henderson has promise; Enrique has been inconsistent but could be very good; Adam had a great first half of last season but missed Lucas; Kenny and Clarke had taken Carroll from "waste of money" to "Why isn't Hodgson playing Carroll instead of Rooney?"; and Doni seems like a capable sub keeper. Which leaves Downing with the most to prove and maybe he won't work out but by God the muppets will hang everything on his failure as proof Dalglish was totally incompetent at spotting players. The man who signed Barnes, Beardsley, Aldo, Shearer and Sutton can't spot goalscorers? Pth.