1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Pessimists, realists and optimists ...

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Smug in Boots, May 15, 2021.

1. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

... what's the difference between the three?

I've seen many posters, on these forums, claiming to be realists rather than pessimists ... hmmm.

People who claimed there would be no takeover said they were realists. People who then had to admit there actually was a takeover claimed Donald would still be pulling the strings but that was realism, not pessimism. Even then, they were claiming KLD was a 'little boy lost' and wouldn't be able to spend any money. When he started appointing top people, improving the infrastructure, new pitch, etc, etc, etc, they suddenly went quiet.

These pessimists have moved on to claiming 'the reality' is that we wouldn't even make the play offs or have any chance of promotion. Now that we have, the 'reality' is that we'll lose in the play offs <doh>

That all seems to suggest that the 'reality' of these people is an ever changing entity that suits their endless pessimism ...

... I'd put good money on them being the first to say, "Yes we were luckily promoted, but we'll come straight back down."

If their 'reality' proves to be flawed they'll claim it was a 'first season blip' and we'll go down the season after ...

... nothing can be allowed to distort their pessimistic grasp of reality.

2. Blyth_bucaneer

Blyth_bucaneer Well-Known Member

Hi mate good to see you posting again. All the answers can be found over da road.

Gil T Azell and Smug in Boots like this.
  3. SAFCDRUM

SAFCDRUM Well-Known Member

On a forum it's a mix of wummary and/or built in pessimism. If we won the champions league it would be "oh, we'll never do as well next season". Always a negative take on things.

Gil T Azell and Smug in Boots like this.
  4. DH4

DH4 Well-Known Member

Nice to see you back. As a naturally pessimistic person (but not a naysayer) I look forward to your posts, your glass half full thinking negates my glass half empty outlook lol. I think the people you refer to are not actually fans to be fair. P.s. Have you heard owt more about the monorail...:emoticon-0102-bigsm

5. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

The monorail is on track ...

... but the brakes have failed and it's coming into a crowded Sunderland station.

There you go mate, a crowd pleaser for optimists and pessimists alike <laugh>

Gromit, Draig, Jarrows tower and 4 others like this.
  6. Nig

Nig Well-Known Member

Who's this fooking new poster ?

<laugh>

7. Nig

Nig Well-Known Member

In answer to the question.
    It's all just hope for me.
    I hoped the first takeover would happen but it fell through.
    I hoped someone else decent would come in.
    Thats happened.
    I hoped we would get automatic spot. That unbelievably fell through.
    Now I hope we win the play offs.
    We've as good a chance as any regardless of recent form.

In the next two or three games we will know our fate.
    I will either be ecstatic or well pìssed off.
    But even if we do miss out I have renewed hope under the new owners.
    All I can do is hope.

8. FellTop

FellTop Well-Known Member

Well I know I am an optimist. Always have been when it comes to football. It means any disappointment is bloody painful but I seem to quickly start looking forward again.

Jarrows tower, Gil T Azell and Nig like this.
  9. Gil T Azell

Gil T Azell Well-Known Member

An eternal optimist. I always think the best will happen for my beloved club.

PS after 50 odd years supporting them you think I would have learned:emoticon-0100-smile.

PPS, good to have you back on my fine fellow.

10. One List

One List Member

Smug in Boots likes this.

11. Iain

Iain Well-Known Member

The way I look at it is I'll be delighted if we go up, if we don't its not the end of the world, KLD is here for the long haul.
    If we are in this league I honestly believe we will have a squad that will achieve promotion quite comfortably.
    If we do go up this season the last thing I would worry about is coming back down.
    The lad has already stated he wants us to be a Premier league outfit. He has money to invest so why do these " realists " think for one second that when we get to the championship he will not have a team that is competing at the top end of the table.
    Yes I got down hearted when we were in the driving seat and threw it away, but I think as a whole we all need to look at the bigger picture.
    If these people were actually realists surely they could see this could be the start of one of the most exciting times at this club in our memory

12. Deletion Requested1

Deletion Requested1 Well-Known Member

I think he's a wum - i'm sure he's been on here before :biggrin:

13. Jack Ford

Jack Ford Well-Known Member

Im a realist.

The message is always at the bottom of all my postings!!

14. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

I find that even within the time it takes to watch one Sunderland game, I can start out optimistic, then become pessimistic but end up a realistic.

This can happen even when I am not watching a match, in the space of a few minutes reading posts.. on here...

15. spirit of 73

spirit of 73 Well-Known Member

It's true
    'HE WHO SHALL NOT BE NAMED IS BACK'
    Nice to see your return mate and we all give thanks to the French resistance particularly Mimi and Yvette:emoticon-0105-wink: who gave you comfort through the dark days:emoticon-0107-sweat:1980_boogie_down:

16. gelders pie

gelders pie Well-Known Member

Optimistically assuming all’s going well with your move Smug , but pessimistically reckon that you’ll have / had the odd challenge as that’s the reality of any house/job/ situation change. Good to see you back whatever.
    Seriously though , I like to look at the football same as life- a quick acknowledgement of what could be the worst ,( but then put that away) to build a reserve of whatever it is that would get you through it if it transpires - - but then it’s all live for the best with the dream , the hope , the joy of the journey and wow , to reach the joy of the destination!

17. John Wick

John Wick Well-Known Member

Takeover for example

Optimist - "It will be great when it happens"

Realists - "It would be great if it happens, but let's just wait and see as we've heard it all before"

Pessimist - " it'll be a load of s**t and fall at the first".

Nice to see you back mate.

Nordic and Smug in Boots like this.
  18. Vincemac

Vincemac Well-Known Member

Welcome back
    I think I’m a optimist or im not sure
    I used to be possitve but I’m not sure anymore or something like that
    However I am a realist I think

19. Oldsandy

Oldsandy Well-Known Member

I came onto the world full of joy at being alive, only to immediately be smacked on the arse when I hadn’t done anything wrong. As a result I dedicated my life to pessimism. As reality is the cause of my pessimism I reckon that makes me a realist. But am I a realistic pessimist or a pessimistic realist? Life can be complicated! :emoticon-0114-dull:<cheers>

20. rooch 3

rooch 3 Well-Known Member

I must admit I have a bit of a dilemma I really want to get out of league 1 and into the championship but the thought of going into the premiership does not make me feel happy at all but then we have a new owner and my heart tells me he won’t want to go up and fight relegation every f ucking year he’ll want to make a go of it, I honestly wish them 6 had pissed off so everybody is on a fairly even keel.

Makemstine Roger likes this.