1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Peterborough United vs QPR

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by daverangers, Oct 21, 2021.

1. Sutfol

Sutfol Well-Known Member

I think given the players we now have we are massively underperforming. The strikers we have should be scoring way more goals - just not good enough.

mcytiger likes this.
  2. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Meh.

Much more important that we win on Tuesday night, go on to win the League Cup and allow me to see the Rs in incredibly obscure away games in the Europa Conference League of Nothing. My last hope of seeing us in Europe, the final dream.

qprbeth, QPRski, Yorkshire-Rs and 4 others like this.
  3. Wherever

Wherever Well-Known Member

Swansea
    Last game of the season is our obscure euro adventure

4. northlondonqpr

northlondonqpr Active Member

Losing against Bournemouth, WBA and Fulham away I understand, (all three have expensive squads, and are favourite to go back up this year), although we were unlucky at both Bournemouth and WBA, and we have yet to play all three at home. But we need to pick up all three points against teams like Barnsley at home and Peterborough away. It is still early days, so lets get three points against Forest at home, and then try to build a gap between us and the 7th placed team.

QPRski and Rangers Til I Die like this.
  5. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

After this performance I think Sunderland will fancy their chances. I hate to say it but we're deluding ourselves if we think we're anywhere near promotion contenders, our defence is Swiss cheese material and if the goals are drying up we're mid table at best. Expectations have vastly exceeded performances in the last 8 games...

6. bobmid

bobmid Well-Known Member

If a team truly expects to do big things in the championship this season then losing to P'boro is a big no no.

mcytiger likes this.
  7. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

But the fact is we are promotion contenders because, in this league, about a dozen clubs are. And even after 5 losses in 14 games, miles off promotion stats in most leagues, we are still only out of the play off places by a goal.

Of course we aren’t that good, but the league isn’t so we are in a decent place having spent no money.

Still exceeding my expectations, we’re having a great season, it’s fun following us and if we win on Tuesday we’ve gone further in a cup than we have for decades…..

bobmid, mcytiger, kiwiqpr and 2 others like this.
  8. Goldhawk-Road

Goldhawk-Road Well-Known Member

A reality check today. But Warbs success rate graph is on an upward trend since last season, so let's get one or two key players back, work on the coaching and maybe even strengthen the squad in Jan.

9. Hammersmith reborn

Hammersmith reborn Well-Known Member

Sunderland lost at home for the 1st time this season, so maybe they had their minds on Tuesday too ! Inexcusable from either side if that was the case. Warburton is too clever for his own good, and I think Johansen deserves dropping on recent form. Amos should've started today whether he was any good when he came on or not. Twice Mccallum has gone off since he came back and both times we were level when he did and both times we've lost. Someone really needs to take command at the back , it's a recurring tale of woe

10. Rangers Til I Die

Rangers Til I Die Well-Known Member

Surely this shows we are not ready for promotion this season? We would get beaten most weeks BUT it might help us become a yo-yo club from whence stability in the PL MIGHT come in due course. Long haul plan.

bobmid likes this.

11. Didley Squat

Didley Squat Well-Known Member

On a positive note, we have squat chance of being promoted and then being thrashed by a PL team, as per Norwich.

The comfort of mid table convenience is where we’ll be dining for the foreseeable future.

Steelmonkey and kiwiqpr like this.
  12. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

Sky must be gutted with their upcoming fixture list

Wherever and Hammersmith reborn like this.
  13. bobmid

bobmid Well-Known Member

Its bloody difficult for any established championship side (like ourselves) to ever be ready for promotion. Only the newly relegated teams find themselves in that position. Unless you can escape FFP laws and spend what you like, then the 'not so promised land' of the Premier league is just a hope, a wish for fans of many clubs. The longer it evades them, the more chance of losing your better players. Its the toughest league in more ways than one and getting harder and harder to financially compete.
    Im not overly concerned about our result today, dissapointed yes but its a long hard season. 6th place would be like winning the title itself considering our past few years.

NigsyHoops, qprmountmartha and sb_73 like this.
  14. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

I don't watch much PL football these days, but was visiting the in-laws this afternoon and they had the Scum-Norwich game on.....those Norwich fans didn't look like they were enjoying themselves in the "Promised Land" - although no doubt they will piss the Championship next season...something serious to ponder on. In the unlikely event we do manage to get up through the play-offs it's going to be a long slog for us to become established, at best, as a mediocre PL team through countless promotions/relegations...is that what we all really want for our club? We lost the soul of this club chasing the PL dream, and have finally got back to where we were ten years ago with a team that we can relate to - do we want to go back to bringing in mercenaries who are happy to kiss the badge one week, then wipe their arse with the shirt as soon as the next offer comes along? The promise of PL money comes at a price.....

15. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

No pl money comes at a price long term to the owners

16. Yorkshire-Rs

Yorkshire-Rs Well-Known Member

I was totally level with this , cross came in and the defender wad the wrong side of Chair and blatantly shoved him over ref was 5yds away total joke

QPR Oslo likes this.
  17. Yorkshire-Rs

Yorkshire-Rs Well-Known Member

Totally disagree with this, the play off places are totally up for grabs for any team, regardless of who you lose to. We were 5th before today's game, Barnsley only win this season was against...... We have the squad to be in the play offs so no reason why we shouldn't be around there

18. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Today went to ratshit, I hate football and I'm having nothing to do with it until Tuesday! And then I'll probably hate it even more. ****ing QPR ... Come on U Rssss ... losing to Peterborough who are **** is a bit of a worry. I think avoiding relegation should be regarded as a success. Four away losses doesn't earn you anything. We're a mid table team and anything else is a bonus.

We're going to finish seventh hopefully!

19. Didley Squat

Didley Squat Well-Known Member

Well said, mate.

Throw in some decent wins along the way and a mid table finish and l think we've achieved as much as we can.
    The difference between us and those leading the division is larger than we may admit.
    We have one or two decent strikers but are constantly let down by our defence.
    We really should not be losing to teams like Peterborough , let alone getting smacked by them.

Its all fine and good to bring up our juniors and alike but l tend to think our owners spend little overall on trying to get back to the PL.
    I really do think their club ownership is treated more of a play-thing then any serious attempt to advance us.
    The proposed training facility is a perfect example of them creating as much waffle as they can and dragging things out then making anything happen sooner rather than later.

Maybe l'm wrong & cynical in how l see things but normally, if you want something to happen and have the coin & clout to do so, things can and do happen a tad quicker, you would think.

Anyway, just my two bobs worth.

kiwiqpr likes this.
  20. QPRski

QPRski Well-Known Member

It is a two edged sword.

We have “gone for it” at the end of matches, and have made spectacular and heroic wins. But this strategy does leave us open to the counter attack.

I guess it is about “game management” and in this case it backfired. However, had we scored that goal then we would we ecstatic.

It just shows each game is matter a fine margins and that this is a tough league with many unexpected results. Old cliches but still very applicable.

But based on this result, yes, I think we have an opportunity to improve for the future.

SW Ranger, QPR Oslo and kiwiqpr like this.