1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Grand Prix thread PIRELLI GRAN PREMIO D’ITALIA 2022 - Monza

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by ched999uk, Sep 9, 2022.

?

Who will finish first?

Poll closed Sep 10, 2022.
  1. Max Verstappen

42.9%
  2. Lewis Hamilton

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Charles Leclerc

14.3%
  4. Sergio Perez

7.1%
  5. George Russell

21.4%
  6. Lando Norris

7.1%
  7. Fernando Alonso

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Carlos Sainz

7.1%
  9. Sebastian Vettel

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Any Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Quite Possibly Raving

Quite Possibly Raving Well-Known Member

According to Horner they did make the call to do opposite. I think Max had the pace to win today whatever CLC did on the strategy front.

2. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think he would have won either way. But Ferrari were not really in with a shout from lap 14 after that call. An alternative call could have likely seen them in that fight longer, and then who knows.

3. SgtBhaji

My point is.. Ferrari basically strated themselves out of the race early. No matter what they do, it's just not the right call. Red Bulls calls are nearly always spot on.

Big Ern likes this.
  4. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

And I don't think Leclerc is confident enough in his position within the team to countermand their suggestions.

SgtBhaji likes this.
  5. Sportista

Sportista Well-Known Member

I’ve not seen the race , but if Horner says they would have stopped if Leclerc didn’t, it can’t have been that bad a call? If they came second in the second fastest car, they presumably deserve a little slack. A little bit too much “kicking them when they are down”.

moreinjuredthanowen likes this.
  6. SgtBhaji

It's not kicking them when they are down, it's constantly wrong calls. I'm willing them to get it right. I'd say watch it and see what you think.

7. Julius Caesar

Julius Caesar Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Leclerc's lap times at end of every stint were pretty bad, even with the two stop. His chances of holding off max on a one-stop were nonexistent. It was a little disappointing that Max didn't have to pass on track, but Ferrari was probably right to at least try something different.

As for RB strategies, they proved themselves earlier in the year, but right now they're playing on easy mode. A faster car and next to no tyre wear. Max probably could have won on a three-stop from 20th if he felt like it.

moreinjuredthanowen likes this.
  8. moreinjuredthanowen

Personally ferrari didn't have the pace to compete with verstappen and had to try go hard and fast on 2 stints. The issue was even with that verstappen could sit and match times them get fresher tyres.

I do wonder if the two stints actually just prevented the scene of the red bull overtaking the ferrari in home gp.

Was that a factor in such an early stop or were the ferrari tyres really goosed?

In any event nobody was any sort of a block to verstappen so le clearc was exposed virtually from lap 2 so...... they had to try

ched999uk likes this.