1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread PL: Liverpool vs Norwich

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Magic Ted, Sep 18, 2015.

?

What will the outcome of this fixture be?

1. Liverpool win

52.4%
  2. Draw

23.8%
  3. Norwich win

19.0%
  4. MITO is a c*nt!

4.8%
  1. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Lallana could be a very useful partner for Benteke, he had a good understanding with Lambert but didn't play very often together at Pool.

2. Jimmy Squarefoot

Jimmy Squarefoot Well-Known Member

Depends on how you look at it - relatively, it's not that big of a difference compared to say someone like Can who is a mid and is playing defence, or Gomez who is a RB/RCB and playing as LB.

However, there is a big difference between LB and LWB in terms of positionally and role. He's rarely played as a wing back so his starting position is higher which means he has more ground to cover. However, he has played a lot letter when he has Sakho next to him.

3. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

I disagree about Lallana only because I think he's better centrally. He doesn't have the pace to be a winger/wide attacker in a 433.

Last year when we played with Lallana and Coutinho centrally behind the lone striker, that's when he was very good and has his best spell with us. He was central and could find space and exploit that with Coutinho, and we saw on Thursday that he linked up well with Coutinho again.

4. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Nah same job, these days fullbacks are expected to overlap so cover the same distance. The main difference is they have no winger to help out in defence so rely on their midfield and centrebacks more.

5. Jimmy Squarefoot

But I don't think you can play both centrally because they end up getting in each others way. There was a period of around 10 mins in the second half when it seemed to click but it was too brief to take notice. Coutinho needs space to operate - he's not a player who is great in small spaces. His strength is getting the ball, turning, beating a man and running at players. Again, it's another reason why I rather Coutinho play deeper because he will have more space. Put Lallana next to him, and you cut that space off further. And if you only play 1 of them centrally, then there's no way you will choose Lallana over Coutinho.

Personally, whilst I think Lallana is a good squad player to have, I still cannot see why we signed him. The fact that we're still debating as to when and where he plays highlights this.

6. InBiscanWeTrust

Forum Moderator

But if you've played LB all your career you know when defending that you have your CB alongside you and you take your line from them.. as WB, he's getting up and down a lot more and he has no reference point as to where he should be when defending because you don't line u next to your CB, you're slightly ahead.

Jimmy Squarefoot likes this.
  7. ademuzzy

ademuzzy Well-Known Member

Thing is if we are to play our best 11 I don't think he gets in. With who is currently available I don't think he gets in.

8. InBiscanWeTrust

Forum Moderator

But we have the same arguments over Coutinho.. you think he plays better deeper, I think he plays better further up....

Last season they they both played centrally they didn't get in each others way, because they both played slightly wide of central (more left attacking cm and right attacking cm) behind the front man. With no winger sit allowed them to use the space outwide if needed as well. It worked well for period last year and although I don't think that formation suits us long term, it suited us at the time and we played well during that period.

Coutinho & Lallana also played very well there, which is why I think Lallana's best position is centrally.

Should he play there if it's a straight choice between the 2 of them? No unless Coutinho is out of form as Couts is clearly the better player, but the original argument was that some players aren't being played in their favoured position and I highlighted Lallana in that because when he's played well for us, it's been in that central role.

9. InBiscanWeTrust

Forum Moderator

Yup, just said above if it's a choice between the 2 then he doesn't... but we can't play the same 11 every week which is why you have a squad and Lallana is a very good squad player and if he becomes more consistent then he will become more than a good squad player.

I think only injuries has stopped him having a more important role for us last year.

Stats aren't everything, but he's more a goal threat than the rest of our midfield as shown by the stats from last few years in the league for us (think he was top scorer from our midfield last year) and Saints.

10. Jimmy Squarefoot

True but difference is Coutinho is good in either role and the discussion is how to get the best out of him. With Lallana, it's as if we're trying to find a position to justify his fee. He's hardly excelled in any position.

But this is something we will never agree on so let's move on! The original point you made was players being played out of position. Agreed and Rodgers is at fault for that. After the articles that came out tonight, Rodgers could be out soon if he doesn't make changes ...

11. InBiscanWeTrust

Forum Moderator

Doesn't need to justify his fee. Fee means nothing now.. he needs to justify his place in the team and that means playing well, same applied to Milner who came on a free and Rossiter who came through the youth ranks.

12. ademuzzy

ademuzzy Well-Known Member

It is a tough call because he offers decent finishing but he's not as good as other players we have in the same positions. As in he doesn't really influence a game or take control. He always seems to be on the periphery in matches and can SOMETIMES pop up with a decent moment.

I agree with he is a decent squad player, I think many supporters feel that for the money we paid he should offer more and because of that reason we could have bought someone who does what he can offer for a lower price (personally I don't care what we paid, but when you put the fee against other players it does feel like we should have gone elsewhere). I just think he is a meh player, he's not terrible he is decent but I don't think much more.

13. Jimmy Squarefoot

Boils down to what you want - someone who does nothing for 89 mins but scores/assists, or someone who doesn't score but contributes to the build of play for most of the match,thus increasing chances of someone else scoring.

ademuzzy likes this.
  14. jaffaklopp

jaffaklopp Well-Known Member

Bit of a dud so far

15. Master Yoda

Master Yoda Well-Known Member

Hardly his fault he's been played out of position in a team with zero confidence or dynamism.

Team I'd like to see today

--------------------Mig
    Clyne------Gomez----Sakho-------Moreno
    ----------Milner-----------Can
    -----Firmino------------------Coutinho
    ------------Benteke--Ings

16. mighty_stevie_g

mighty_stevie_g Well-Known Member

Rumoured line up:

Mingnolet
    Clyne Skrtel Sakho Gomez
    Milner Can
    Henderson
    Lallana Coutinho
    Benteke

Probably will be a flat 4-3-3 but I'd rather see it used like this

17. organic red

organic red Well-Known Member

Hendo's broken his foot mate :(

18. jaffaklopp

jaffaklopp Well-Known Member

We had a rumoured line up earlier and vastly different to that. For starters Henderson is out for a while..

19. BBFs Unpopular View

BBFs Unpopular View Well-Known Member

There's no guile to our play in the final third. Too easy to defend against. Too predictable.

We need people running beyond Benteke if he is alone up front otherwise wtf is he winning headers for like <doh>
    Instead we are so ponderous that we don't get the opposition running back towards their own goal, they just have to deal with what is in front of them mostly.

Rodgers has to take the blame 100%. Our movement and passing are worse than in his first year.<yikes>

20. BBFs Unpopular View

BBFs Unpopular View Well-Known Member

Though to be fair Benteke Firmino and Ings are new arrivals and Lallana has not played THAT many games since his arrival.