1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Play to our strengths?

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by ZendensdodgyMoves, Jan 19, 2017.

1. ZendensdodgyMoves

I know it was mentioned some time ago by Moyes and for me it's blatantly obvious, so as we are clearly lacking some quality on the left hand side, why hasn't PVA been given a chance on that left wing. It's not as if we would be losing a defensive rock and I genuinely believe he would create and score a lot more goals. Surely it's got to be worth a shot with one of our other average full backs coming across to fill in?

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  2. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

We've being playing big Vic there and while he's been injured Jones has been injured. Given Manquillo has proved him completely inadequate and Robson is nowhere near good enough there would be nobody to play left back. We don't have enough cbs to play 3 at the back without leaving us with no central midfielders. Impossible to implement. It would hardly be playing to our strengths either, it would be an experimental gamble.

Personally if think we're lucky to just get a team out let alone tinker. Even fully fit we have few strengths to play off which is why we're so limited and easy to play against. Only thing that will improve us imo is new additions.

3. red&white wanderer

red&white wanderer Well-Known Member

With respect many others rate Robson as a LB and I think some others who are rated (eg Maja, Osara ) should be introduced if the team is floundering - this not the time for Moyes to dither & trying to make a point to Short.
    We need points on board so must introduce some of our rated youngsters
    Plus Mika in goal - <cheers>

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  4. Brian Storm

I've been bigging up these kids for 3 years while many were still slagging off the academy, there's nobody more pro youth than me when it come to our kids. Moyes is good with youngsters, if Tom Robson was good enough he'd be playing. The fact he's 5th choice LB behind PVA, Jones, Love and Manquillo should tell us all we need to know, given it's highly likely 99% of people never seen Robson actually play Or Maja, Or Asoro other than the odd cameo and u21 highlights. I think Moyes is very much a if they're good enough they're old enough. But most of them aren't good enough yet, most never will be. Only a small handlfull will break the team or become Prem Footballers. Maja and Assoro are children. Heaping the pressure of a relegation battle onto kids who currently lack the ability and maturity is not only detrimental to the team but it's brutal to their development when they most likely fail to live up to the height of expectations from our unreasonable fans. Look at the **** Watmore has had. His dad's been abused online. Henderson before that. Worst club in the world to hurry youngsters imo cause our fans have an abnormal amount of idiots.

Returning injuries and new additions are the only things that will improve us at the moment. Than we can get some young uns out on loan. Physical football at their level. I think Moyes is bang on not to rush the kids. Support it 100%

5. ZendensdodgyMoves

I think we are in a position where we need to gamble aren't we? Or should we not change anything and keep slumping to defeats? We need wins or we are down and IMO PVA is dangerous going forward and average defensively. A gamble worth trying.

6. ZendensdodgyMoves

Pressure of relegation? There is pressure at the top and bottom to perform for different reasons. Look at the impact 'fearless' players like Rashford has had at United? You're giving them a chance to play Prem football for their club, a chance to be the hero. Why wouldn't they thrive on that? If they aren't good enough fine but if they are get them in. The thread was about pushing Van Arnholt up and shoving someone in at LB.

red&white wanderer likes this.
  7. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

You'll only pick up results in this league, when you have stability.

It's way too 'Football Manager', in my opinion to chuck kids in and hope for the best.

Pickford didn't get chucked in, he was ready, he proved he was more than good enough for this league.

Brian Storm likes this.
  8. Brian Storm

Vic is due back, Why take a gamble when PVA and big Vic have linked up so well? You're the one saying play to our strengths. Our left hand side has been one of our strongest areas this season. Our right hand side is another matter, Since Watmore got injured Borini and Januzaj have looked dreadful playing there.

9. Brian Storm

Exactly. Pickford rose through the league system with his loans. By the time he started for us he had 100 league appearances to his name. That's how you develop kids.

10. Brian Storm

It's different with kids at the top teams, they've got the quality around them to carry them and take the pressure off.

11. Jack TheLad

Jack TheLad Well-Known Member

Covered everything pretty much there IMO.

If you're good enough, you're old enough, and it's pretty clear that many are not good enough as yet. Plenty of potential, but nowhere near what we need to get out of a relegation battle.

Brian Storm likes this.
  12. Brian Storm

Don't think putting PVA on the wing is a bad idea, in fact I think that's the plan with us trying to sign Brady, swapping Vic to the Right. But at the moment, it's just not workable for me.

clockstander likes this.
  13. Jack TheLad

I'm still not sure he's good enough to play as an out and out winger. Not sure if he's skilful enough to take on a defender.

He's an asset to us playing LB because he's the overload option, on the overlap (or underlap) of whoever is already playing left wing.

He's often up one on one with an opposing winger who's not all that into defending so thrives when he goes forward.

14. red&white wanderer

Agree with this but I don't think Moyes is doing them any favours psychologically by naming them on the bench but not bringing them on saying Burnley (cup H) - "...I did'nt want to lose" and Stoke "...we had better players on the pitch" -when the 1st 11 are clearly floundering.
    I always thought Moyes gave youngsters a head - and many of ours are well rated at U23 level.
    Still hope for 3 pts on Saturday

15. Brian Storm

I don't know, I think him and Brady could develop something together, They could just as easy swap places as they're both extremely competent attacking. It would be versatile and aggressive.

clockstander likes this.
  16. Brian Storm

So do we leave 4 empty spaces on the bench? As soon as injured players come back they'll drop from the bench. And I'm sure Moyes is more than capable of speaking to them and telling them the situation so that there is no false expectations. They'll know they've got little chance of featuring.

17. Jack TheLad

I'd be chuffed if we signed Brady, and was disappointed we didn't go for him in the summer when he might well have been cheaper than now.

Suppose they could cover for each other and possibly link up well.

Not sure where it'd leave big Vic though. We've played our best football with him playing on the left. Having said that, he can't manage more than 3 consecutive games so maybe Brady/PVA would be the better option.

Brian Storm likes this.
  18. red&white wanderer

No I just don't think he should have made such a negative comments in the media about the quality of the bench - psychologically damaging for the players. Could have just alluded to an inexperienced bench due to our injuries to the press - not as a negative about the players quality as . Thats just my view. I'm pretty sure he will have talked to the young players in private.

19. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

Vic could be played just ahead of Defoe, if we sign Brady, in a 442 line up, we need wins now, to climb the table. We also need to keep our squad together and supplement them with another two decent signings to give us any chance this season.

20. Brian Storm

See the that's the differance between you and me, you want a manager who glosses stuff up to give people what they want to hear with comments which don't mean anything, I want a manager with transparency who tells the situation as it is with no misunderstanding. You clearly want him to lie or bend his sentiments to appease yourself. How is it psychologically damaging? You speak like the only way for footballers and managers to communicate is by the media. The kids will know their limitations, why they're on the bench and what their chances are because they'll have been told. You're just looking for excuses to whine about moyes and it's boring. Is there not any Moyes Boo boys you can whine to?