1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Player Retain List/New Contracts/Summer Signings

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by Captain Jack Sparrow, May 3, 2018.

1. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

DC has today wasted no time in naming his retained list for next season.

The following 1st team squad players are all under contract (length unknown) and will be with us next season (unless any are sold).

Sam Slocombe, Adam Smith
    Tom Lockyer, Tom Broadbent, James Clarke, Tony Craig, Joe Partington, Rollin Menayese
    Ollie Clarke, Chris Lines, Liam Sercombe, Stuart Sinclair
    Kyle Bennett, Bernard Mensah
    Rory Gaffney, Ellis Harrison, Tom Nichols

Daniel Leadbitter is the only 1st team squad player that has been offered a new contract.

Leaving the club at the end of the current campaign are Lee Brown, whose departure was announced last week, Jonny Burn, who has been on loan at York City for most of the season, Byron Moore and Ryan Broom.

3 loanees Marc Bola, Dominic Telford and Ryan Sweeney, have today returned to their parent clubs, meaning they are not available for selection on Saturday.

No mention of any development players who may have been promoted to the 1st team. So I am guessing they remain in the development side.

https://www.bristolrovers.co.uk/news/2018/may/03.05.18-retained-list/

2. old timer

old timer Well-Known Member

15 players plus Leadbitter if he signs, wouldn't have been surprised if he had left nor would I have been surprised if Gaffney had left as I don't think his recent performances have been that good. Sad to see Ryan Broom not offered a contract as I felt there was a lot of potential there. With a couple of the U23s joining the squad I reckon we could be looking at about 5 new faces. Going to be an interesting Summer
    Wonder if Moore or Broom will be considered for the Southend match. Transfer window opens after the final match on May 13th

3. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

I think it shuts the day before the start of the season instead of the usual start of September. I think!

4. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

I make it 17, 18 if Leadbitter stays <ok>

5. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Brown has played his last game. Bola sent back to Arsenal. We have no LB for Saturday. I guess a development player like Kelly will step up for the final game. Unless DC plays someone out of position.

Im gutted Telford didnt get a proper chance. Hope we can get him back.

Sweeney is just the same player as last season so I wont be that bothered if he doesnt come back.

Not surprised about Moore or Burn. I am surprised about a few that are being retained but if they are under contract, DC dont really have a choice to retain them unless DC and a player mutually agrees to terminate the contract, which will be at a cost to the club.

I think based on what we have left....
    Keepers are fine
    RB's are covered with Partington and Clarke. If Leadbitter stays then Clarke can act as another CB.
    We've got 4 CB's (5 if you count Clarke). If Leadbitter goes then we need 1 CB.
    We need 2 LB's (unless Kelly acts as cover).
    We need another CM like Sercombe. Sinclair and Sercombe keeps getting injured and Lines and Clarke can be hit or miss in games.
    We need another winger to replace Moore.
    We need 2 strikers as Gaffney and Nichols dont score enough.

So we need 1 GK, 1 LB, 1 CB, 1 CM, 1 winger who can play on both wings and 2 CF's. = 7 players. Maybe 8 if DC wants a second LB instead of using Kelly as cover.

6. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

DC is Twentyman's guest on 'having a gas' on Radio Bristol. He just said he wants 1 RB, 2 LB, 1 CM, 1 RW, 1 LW and 2 CF's. He also said some in his retained list that is under contract will not be staying at the club. So there will be some departures but wont say who now.

7. old timer

Heard a rumour that Dom Telford was deliberately not played because we have agreed terms with Stoke but cannot talk to the player before the window opens and they were afraid that another club would make him a better offer, DC is reported to rate Telford very highly. I stress that it is a rumour
    Agree with your figures CJS just having a senior moment or playing without G/Ks next season

Captain Jack Sparrow likes this.
  8. old timer

If DC is looking for a RB does that imply that either J Clarke or Joe Partington is surplus to requirements assuming Leadbitter signs a new contract and I can't see us operating with 5 forwards in the squad Harrison, Nicholls and Gaffney plus 2. Is DC changing the system and playing with 2 strikers or is either Gaffney or Nicholls going, would have thought Harrison would stay as he is our top scorer

9. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

We seem to have lost a few left sided players, which could be hard to replace...

10. old timer

FGR have just released their list of players no longer required. Olly Mayhew is one while Luke James is available for loan

11. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

The Gas are one of a few clubs enquiring about Cheltenham's Mo Eisa apparently.

12. old timer

James Clarke signed a contract extension and Liam Armstrong signed his first professional contract. Leeds have apparently made a verbal for Eisa

13. Gasheadseamge79

Gasheadseamge79 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

14. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

15. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

16. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

17. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

18. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

19. old timer

Ryan Broom signed for Cheltenham Town today I wish him every success for his future career and thank him for all his effort when he had a rare chance in the first team sorry to see him go

Captain Jack Sparrow likes this.
  20. old timer

Do we have deals in the pipeline or are we waiting for the players that nobody else wants and should therefore be prepared to accept lower wages