1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Players contracts ending is impacting performances

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Bigmackem, Apr 28, 2021.

1. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

He's the kind of player that when you're flying you don't really need but when you're in a sticky patch he's useful. It's not like our current CMs are doing much.

Iain and Gil T Azell like this.
  2. Bank of England 2

Bank of England 2 Well-Known Member

I think he was one of those who fell into the category of 'the club being too big for him'. The fact that only a club of the size of Wimbledon came knocking, tells us all we need to know. He just didn't settle here.

Iain likes this.
  3. Football Dinosaur

Football Dinosaur Well-Known Member

Think Dobson had to win second balls as his first touch is shocking. People sat around me would laugh some games as he'd try stuff but nothing would go his way....

On the subject of contracts running out. I'm sure we all have ideas of who we'd like to keep (likely similar and very short lists) but anyone not pulling their weight now aren't doing themselves any good. If I we LJ going into play offs I'd remind them that if they aren't going to be or don't want to be here they still have to perform or no one will want them.

4. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

I was never worried. Said over and again that performance didn’t matter. I always, in those 24 games, thought we had the mettle to get through the games. Solid at the back and always created a chance or 2 and looked likely to score.
    KLD has more than just LJ. he’s got Speakman, the new guy. LJ is a head coach not a manager as far as I can tell. Sacking managers has done nothing for this club. Imagine if Parkinson hadn’t been such a dick with McGeady! We’d probably have won the league by now

Nig likes this.
  5. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Absolutely. I remember him chasing a ball back (something his midfield counterpart Power had failed to do which cost a goal earlier in the sanecgame) having a comfortable header to clear and Sanderson wiping him out and giving away a goal. FB and certain posters on here saud he shouldn’t have been there! I have no issue with opinions but people were simply desperate to slate him no matter what!! Would like to have seen what Johnson could do with him.

The Norton Cat, Nacho and Gil T Azell like this.
  6. Ozzymac

Ozzymac Well-Known Member

I think the contract talk is a load of crap honestly. Most of squad have been plying their trade in league 1 or 2 most of their careers.

Thy're used to short term contracts as it's the norm and getting a promotion looks far better on the CV than bottling it. If we did get promoted most of the released players would get offered contracts at top 10 league clubs hoping for their own promotion push

Nordic likes this.
  7. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Aye he got a lot of flack for that when it wasn't his fault but Sanderson was flavour of the month and people wouldn't have it.

Granted it's true Dobson was having a crap season this time around but he looked promising the one before and with him being a big scrapper who wins everything in the air he could have been useful, especially if he got the benefit of Johnson's ability to boost confidence.

That's all it was for me, he was playing without any confidence. Still did his best though.

8. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Had a look on a Wimbledon forum that people actually use, so not the one on here, and every post about Dobson was very complimentary. Talking about his passing ability, bite, and the partnership he's formed with their other CM.

I said ages ago I'd like O'Nien and Dobson to be our first choice CMs and I don't think it was a bad shout. He's still our player so if the worst happens this season who knows, seems Wimbledon want to keep him but don't think they can afford him.

The Norton Cat likes this.
  9. Nig

Nig Well-Known Member

Agree mate apart from I think most of Johnson's tinkering has been forced through injuries.

Iain likes this.
  10. samwise_new

samwise_new Well-Known Member

i always thought he had the same 'problem' that onien had and that was trying too bloody hard to prove they deserved to be here, let's face it, onien hardly had a great start here either but once he settled himself down the fans took to him...unfortunately, dobson just kept trying harder rather than settling himself down, i always thought there is a player in there once he can just go with the game.

11. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Bang on as far as I'm concerned. O'Nien is the better player but they are fairly similar in ability for me, just one settled in and one didn't. Wimbledon fans seem very happy with Dobson which suggests he could have done a job for us, in league one at any rate.

samwise_new likes this.