1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic playing like a peters team

Discussion in 'Shrewsbury' started by Zenfootball2, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Zenfootball2

Zenfootball2 Active Member

well the game against Fleetwood was dire we seem to have gone backwards in style of play and performances..
    The 3 home draws against Bristol, Gillingham and Fleetwood were 6 points lost that shouldn't have been.
    playing like Peters with long balls, kick and hope or corners to Waterfall are easy to defend against and will keep us struggling to avoid relegation.

i have never left a game early but it felt like time had stood still and after 60 minutes of ponderous, predictable turgid football i was tempted to leave. i cant imagine fringe fans will wont to come and see us if we continue like that .
    Akey had to go the fans had lost faithin him and hte players seem to have stoped playing for him, we had a bright spell under coyne and town looked more lively and players were willing to have a shoot and ferjiri was scoring goals.
    i dont know what the answer is and it is still early days for rickets but so far i have not been impressed.
    last five games won 1 drawn 3 lost 1 so 5 points out of a possible 15

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  2. greenhousmeadowman

greenhousmeadowman Well-Known Member

To be fair to Ricketts the last five games have been against generally stronger opposition than the spell when the caretakers were in charge and I do not think Ricketts has changed too much yet. He has inherited a fairly mediocre squad by League 1 standard and is having too learn fast on the job. We will see what the transfer window brings - perhaps with the million coming in from the Woods deal Roland will release the purse strings a bit and let his new manager bring in a few quality signings (left back, centre -half and especially a centre-forward). Just over one point a game for the remaining games should be enough for us to stay up and then we can restructure the playing staff in the summer.
    Roland cannot really afford Ricketts to fail as he usually sticks by his manager through thick and thin.. Askey was not terrible but he went mainly because he did not fit in with the general ethos of the club (and to my eyes made no effort to change). I agree with you about the style of play - we do look better when we pass it through the midfield. If we are going to play more direct we need to bring in a few players who are more suited to that tactic. Yes, the Fleetwood game was a generally disheartening experience but the opposition were very negative and it needed one of our better players like Docherty to produce a moment of quality to open up the game - unfortunately that never happened At least we looked fairly solid at the back and I am sure we have all sat through much worse performances than that over the years.

3. Zenfootball2

Zenfootball2 Active Member

you make fair and reasonable points and yes i have sat through worse and i agree we played stronger teams. just to be clear i am not saying he should go and after the January window (if we have any money for players and if we can sign the players we need and after 12 games in we should get a better idea.

i dont have an issue of having to grind out results but it was just the overall permanence and style of play was turgid.let us hope things improve.