1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Please not Sam

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by Captain Morgan, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

here are some of currently out-of-work managers who I'd rather see in the Fulham dug-out than Sam Allardyce. Some of them have debatable merits, some might not be tempted to the Championship, but in a spirit of discussion-starting:

Michael Laudrup
    Roberto Di Matteo
    Nigel Clough
    Brian McDermott
    Lee Clark
    John Toshack
    Paul Lambert

Any more?

2. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

Lawrie Sanchez?

3. Super Brian McBride

Super Brian McBride Well-Known Member

Not that I know a great deal about them but
    Vincenzo Montella (ex Fiorentina)
    Roberto Donadoni (ex Parma)
    Alan Irvine (ex West Brom)

Montella did a good job bringing Roma and then Fiorentina back to top teams, and his style of play was good to watch. But he'd want big name players.
    From your list I'd say the same about Laudrup, be nice to get him but Khan would have to get him his players.
    Obvious Lee Clark has passion but has been hit and miss, but that again has been with strap-cashed teams.
    Di Matteo and Toshack not for me.
    Lambert a possibility, seems very stubborn on the way he plays, he'd probably sort out the Defense first, could be a Graeme Souness type of motivator.

4. Cookie-6262

Cookie-6262 Well-Known Member

Bob Bradley??

5. kunye

kunye Well-Known Member

Big Sam for me, no finesse but would put some fight into the team.
    much more than the lightweights mentioned

6. 2whitestripes

2whitestripes Well-Known Member

Nigel Pearson?

Ignoring ostriches of course.

7. Cottager58

Cottager58 Well-Known Member

Alan Curbishley? - only throwing his hat in the ring!

Allardyce has a book coming out in October which coincides with the managerial sacking merry-go-round. So, I'd have thought he won't be tempted before then. As I mentioned in the "Unlucky 13 for Kit? " thread, Khan is back in town on 25th October - which coincides with Kit's 13th League game. Khan might also be tempted to wait until then.

As and when anything happens, Michael Laudrup from the list would be my choice of preference, with Danny Murphy earning his spurs beside him.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  8. Captain Morgan

Two of those 'lightweights' have managed European Cup/Champions League winning sides, one them on two separate occasions. But let's not let facts get in the way of ill-informed sweeping generalisations.

9. Captain Morgan

I should also have pointed out that all but one of my original list have managed promotion-winning teams (the exception is Laudrup), with three of them winning promotion from the Championship.

Correction: Clark missed out twice in the play-offs with Huddersfield. I thought he'd taken them up.

10. kunye

kunye Well-Known Member

Statically all mentioned have a percentage winning ratio of mid 30% with the exception of
    Mateo who is 50%.
    I still stick with my original choice,
    mainly because to put it mildly, we need someone who can put some fire in their bellies.
    And SA apart from the differences he encountered with the WH management and his departure,
    one cannot deny that his stewardship put WH on a much more stable footing.
    It would be an interesting note as to where are most of the aforementioned now plying their trade.
    This is still a forum, where many diverse opinions will, and hopefully continue to be expressed

11. Cravingawin

Cravingawin Well-Known Member

I thought Allardyce had West Ham playing really well last season. Just saying.

12. GeraScores

GeraScores Well-Known Member

I have to agree Craving. Never really been a fan of Big Sam, but he did a good job at Upton Park (ignoring those who talk about the West Ham way). He is maybe not the long-term solution, but we need to address the slippery slope of the last 3 years (almost).

13. Fabulous Fabio

Fabulous Fabio Well-Known Member

I actually wanted us to get Mark Warburton, when it first came out that he was leaving Brentford last season, I really wanted us to snap him up. Just so happens he's now up here in Glasgow with me at my other team, and doing a very good job!

All the names mentioned so far are managers out of work but I've been quite impressed with the job Karl Robinson has done at MK Dons. He's a young, hungry manager and I'd love to see us give someone like him a chance to build something here, not for us just to have a short term fix like what Allardyce would probably be.

14. Captain Morgan

Is a lack of fight the problem right now? Yesterday wasn't great, but the one thing we can't accuse the players of is lacking fight or fire in their bellies, as evidenced by a 95th minute equaliser. The problem is with Kit's tactics and team selection.

As for diverse opinions, of course you're allowed to say and think what you like, Kunye. I just felt your dismissal of some very good managers as lightweights was so ridiculous that it warranted challenging.

Postscript: autocorrect wanted to change kunye to 'Kanye'. If he starts complaining about Grammies being awarded to the wrong people, we'll finally know the truth about kunye's secret identity.

15. Doriley

Doriley Member

Be careful what you ask for..Bolton and West Ham had fine academies but were decimated (not completely because of the manager)and at west Ham the heart was ripped out, recruitment was given to what appeared to be friends and agents..I would wager a large proportion of the quality academy players would be good within a season or two..It happened at West Ham and only now is getting back to a level that is acceptable to them

16. Cravingawin

Good point Doriley. What's your thoughts on the Hyndman, Dembele and Roberts situation? Plus the others of course that are coming through. It would be good to hear from a vested interest.

17. Cravingawin

18. Doriley

Doriley Member

Difficult for me to give a good perspective of the guys above..All academeies have ups and downs and run them for different reasons..some to make money ,some to hit quotas and some to have pathways..West Ham for example were always a pathway club imo and Reese Oxford is an example fo the new world for them. Reading probably the most succesful at producing players of their club level (Championship and occasionally above). For me a club which is driven top down and bottom up with the same philosophy ie a goal to produce great players from within is the ideal.(Southampton etc ).but harder said than done.as Managers are short term in general and therefore cant be as interested..Hoever having a manger who has no interest in bringing players up will naturally put off those promising academy players who want to see a pathway..doesnt answer your question though! Dont think Im qualified...

Cottager58 likes this.
  19. Cottagecravens

Personally I think Symons has until end of Sep - ironically the Friday night game against QPR could seal his fate with a defeat. September fixtures are not easy.

20. Captain Morgan

Fascinating, and probably true. But I don't think even this is Kit's problem. We took a punt on an inexperienced man who knew the club backwards, and sadly his inexperience has continued to show through. I don't think being low-pressure is the biggest issue, it's not learning from the mistakes of inexperience. That said, I noticed in the match program on Saturday that the players all seem to still call him 'Kit', which perhaps speaks of an informal, laid back atmosphere around the manager, for good or ill.