1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Plymouth Argyle vs QPR

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by daverangers, Aug 31, 2020.

1. Didley Squat

Didley Squat Well-Known Member

The season hasn’t started yet..... so l’m staying positive.

2. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

3. QPRski

QPRski Well-Known Member

4. awjm

awjm Well-Known Member

imo, Lumley and Kelly are a world apart. Here's why:

1. Lumley can clearly make some really good looking, audacious saves at times. But he equally let's in a lot of shots that aren't particularly special. I've never seen him save a penalty. Kelly, on the other hand, seems to command his box better, makes some good point blank saves, actually saves penalties. With Kelly's penalty saving ratio, we probably would have had a few more points on the board last season had he played all season.

2. Lumley gets into a flap and when something goes wrong, he seems to get worse and worse. Kelly, although not the perfect keeper, is actually very calm and does not let things get to his head or panic in difficult situations.

3. Lumley doesn't seem to communicate well with his defenders. He just seems to bark at them and make meaningless gestures or complain. Kelly seems to spend less time trying to communicate but seems to work better with them. He seems to understand the system better.

4. Lumley can't kick or distribute for ****! Not saying Kelly is amazing but is clearly better. Kelly is good at throwing the ball out.

I'm not a fan of Lumley, although he seems like a nice guy. I can't imagine Deing being any worse than him. I'd bet on that.

With that said, all our goalkeepers would look a lot better with a more competent defence in front of them

5. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

He had great reviews from his loan club last season and looks good from all the clips I've seen of him.
    If Lumley or Kelly were any good then you may have a point, but as they're both pretty awful he must be given the chance imo.

qprbeth likes this.
  6. Frome-Ranger

Frome-Ranger Well-Known Member

I don't really agree with much of that, to me neither cut the mustard at the moment.

Lumley has all of the physical attributes you'd expect from a goalkeeper whereas Kelly looks like someone who has taken the jersey because both keepers got injured.

Lumley is capable of brilliant feats of goalkeeping but that's just it, there isn't any middle ground its either brilliant or garbage and he has major concentration issues. Same with his kicking, its generally very poor but occasionally he nails an inch perfect one that perfectly splits the opposition. If he could concentrate more and sharpen up he'd improve immeasurably.

It seemed to take several games before we even saw Kelly make a save and surely we didn't concede enough pens to make such grand statements (he's not Alex Smithies). I'm not sure I've really seen enough to pass judgement as he's had the odd decent moment but he looks anything but calm to me. Maybe not as rash as Lumley but his lack of communication isn't a positive it makes him look meek and nervous.

Worth noting they currently get virtually no help from the guys in front of them but we do concede a lot through mediocre goalkeeping as well.

Both seem oddly flat footed for goalkeepers as well.

I've seen nothing of Dieng so can't comment and much as they both seem like decent blokes as it stands I see virtually nothing between Lumley and Kelly, neither unfortunately inspire confidence.

Stroller likes this.
  7. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

I just think we should actually see Dieng play before crowning him as number one. Yesterday would have been a good opportunity, I suppose.

8. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

I said give him the chance.
    Lumley will cost us points behind a defence that will do the same.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
  9. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

Dieng also got rave reviews after his half- season loan at Dundee a couple of seasons back, they were a poor team with a **** defence, but he came out the relegation scrap with his head held high, prior to his loan at Donny.

SW Ranger and rangercol like this.
  10. QPRski

QPRski Well-Known Member

Have just watched the highlights.

Our defending seems poor and consists of blocking shots, but allowing further shots. There is no linkage with the midfield players to bring out the ball.

We had two great chances at 2-2 to take the lead, but with no success, only to concede to a great finish.

11. QPRski

QPRski Well-Known Member

One of the most sensible posts to date, which I applaud.

I just fear the potential melt down next Saturday.

I may be lucky as I will be on a short holiday in a very remote place, possibly without an internet connection.

Bur then again, perhaps we will romp through this season in a majestic manner.

12. Yorkshire-Rs

Yorkshire-Rs Well-Known Member

True, however if we are not in the market for a keeper would like him to have a run of games to see as will be no worse off

Stroller likes this.